What Do You Watch Most? (Calories, Fat, Carbs, Sugar, etc.)

Options
I've been trying to stay under my calorie goal of 1200, but was recently told the carbs are more important to watch.

In order, I try to maintain:

1) carbohydrates
2) calories
3) daily exercise
3) fat
4) sugar
5) sodium

Would love to know what other people's dietary priorities are.

~katie

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The only thing I pay attention to right now is calories.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Different things work for different people. I count calories with an emphasis on keeping my carbs relatively low and protein high.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My main priority is calories, which includes eating most of my exercise calories. (my goal is set to lose 1/2 lb per week currently, which gives me a net goal of 1370, on exercise days I might consume a total of 1800-2000 depending on what I burned that day - and I try to exercise at least 5-6 days a week b/c honsetly I love to eat food LOL). Secondly I like to make sure I eat plenty of protien and fiber - helps keep you feeling full longer. I really don't stress over carbs/fat/sugar/sodium etc. I feel it would stress me out too much and make me a little *too* obsessive, for me personally, plus I have seen consistent results by doing what I do so I have no desire to change it right now. :-)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think carbs are really only important for those who suffer from diabetes or any other insulin related issues, because carbs are needed energy for our bodies and unless there's a medical condition involved, I don't think it's wise to restrict them too much. Of course, simple carbs, such as cookies, cakes, ice creams, etc., we could ALL benefit from kicking out of our diets completely, but realistically speaking... not so much lol

For me, I watch calories the most, because at the end of the day, that's all it really comes down to. Whether you watch carbs, fat, sugar, or anything else, the one thing that'll help you lose/maintain weight are the calories.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • 170to117
    Options
    i try to have high in protein and low in saturated fat. I also definitely make sure to stay under target caloric intake.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to sugar as there is sugar occurring naturally in many foods, eg. fruit. Thanks to certain health issues, I also have to watch potassium, protein, calcium and iron levels . I pay attention to these, plus calories, fat, sodium, etc. fairly equally.
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's calories. Everything has calories including carbs. The adage "Calories In / Calories Out" is true. What you need to do learn to balance the food groups which will include carbs, protein, fruits, vegetables, oils etc. The trick is keeping it at 1200 a day and taking in enough food to keep you from being hungry. You'll learn quickly that oils, sweets, meats and fruits will be quite limited but vegetables and whole grains (carbs) will be your friend. I know, I lost 80 pounds on a 1500 a day diet with exercise supervised by dieticians. No drugs or surgeries.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I focus mainly on calories but I try to keep fats in check. I am not too concerned about going over slightly on sugars or protein becau both of these are set quite low. Fats because I want to force my body to burn off the fats and not add to them. 1g of fat delivers twice the calories of 1g of carbs I am told. Having said all that I do try to keep them all under control but calories are the priority.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I mainly focus on calories. Try to watch the other stuff, but I really do try to stay under cals.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Calories (trying to bulk so I make sure to hit my goal, but I work with a weekly average so some days are more and some are less)
    Protein (at least 115g but 150g is better)

That's about it. As long as I eat my 150 in protein I get to eat whatever I want.
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to calories first, but i do glance at the other stuff. I've found that for myself, if I eat more fiber and protein, I stay full longer. Usually after lunch, I kind of look over carbs and protein and then try to plan my dinner meal accordingly... so if I'm higher in carbs, I'll try to eat something with more protein at dinner. I'm not obsessed with it, just try to keep a balance. Good luck!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I watch calories the most and how much I'm exercising, that's it.

I could care less about hitting specific grams for sodium, carbs, proteins, etc.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    1) calories
    2) protein
    3) fibre
    4) everything else (although I keep my sodium limit fairly tight).
  • Jeannie1946
    Options
    Hi ,

I mostly watch Calories, Fat, Protein, and Carbs. I keep a total of it all .

Jeannie
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    also, if you are feeding yourself a lot of non-healthy foods, you may be more hungry. I had this day yesterday. For some reason I was having a major sweet tooth. I started "snacking" on my daughter's Dove chocolate hearts. Thought i was doing good by eating one here and one there. Before I knew it, I had eaten a whole serving of them (6) and that was 200+ calories. I know for a fact that's why I was so hungry last night. I wasted my precious calories on JUNK!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sodium.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Calories and Protein, the rest may fall where it falls.

I simply watch protein closely to make sure i'm getting plenty of it!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    1) Carbohydrates
    2) Calories
    3) Fiber
    4) Fat
    5) Sugar
    6) Sodium

I try to watch everything I can, exercise is part of that but of late I have been figuring in that last after I am all done with my food intake of the day. I want to see where I am before and after and see if I am on target or way off.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stay under my calorie goal of 1200, but was recently told the carbs are more important to watch.

In order, I try to maintain:

1) carbohydrates
    2) calories
    3) daily exercise
    3) fat
    4) sugar
    5) sodium
    Would love to know what other people's dietary priorities are.
    ~katie

WHY, a deficit is already figured in for you based on the amount you want to lose weekly. Going under may send you in the wrong direction.
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1) calories
    2) daily exercise
    3) fat
    4) protein