What Do You Watch Most? (Calories, Fat, Carbs, Sugar, etc.)

Options

Replies

• mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Joined 19 days ago and my first priority was watching sugar and calories. Although I stay away from almost all processed foods, my sugar grams was over 90g per day on day 1 because of all the fruit I was eating. By lowering my sugar as much as possible, I have now lost 7.6 pounds. I am now going to start watching my fat and sodium to try and lower them a little although I am running only a little over. Going over on protein which I often do is not a concern of mine.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to watch my carbs and iron, but I was a long distance runner. Now I watch my protein and fiber, because I'm weight lifting. Oh, and I watched the scale when I was running, but not now with the weight lifting.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I watch
    1. Calories
    2. Carbs
    3. Exercise
    4. Sodium (too much retains water)
    5. Iron (I seem to always be low.)
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1. Calories - I'm doing the Spike Diet, so I get to have more fun with my food throughout the week. :)
    2. Protein - I've been building a LOT of muscle, so I try hard to hit 35% of calories from protein.
    3. Exercise - Both strength and cardio. As much as I can handle. Push to the limit, but sure has heck know where that limit is.
    4. Carbs - I often get less than my goal of 35% of calories from carbs, and my workouts suffer when I'm under that. Need carbs!
    5. Fiber - So great at keeping me feeling full and regular. 25 grams at least, a day.

Since I have no health concerns I don't really worry about anything else. I make sure to get a good portion of my fats from healthy sources and I take a great multivitamin and extra calcium + D, so my bases are covered there.

Even though I've not lost weight, my measurements are looking pretty awesome in a short period of time, so I know I'm doing something right.

Oh, and WATER WATER WATER WATER!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paignt
    paignt Posts: 15
    Options
    For me, it's calories, fiber, protein, cholesterol, sodium, and fat.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Calories and Protein, though I'll go over calories slightly if protein is involved.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Carbs
    Sugar
    Sodium
    Fiber (trying to get more of it in a day)
    Calories
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Different things work for different people. I count calories with an emphasis on keeping my carbs relatively low and protein high.

That!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    calories,exersice and then protein :bigsmile:
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    fat!!!!
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Calories, first and foremost, since my main health issue is my weight. Secondly, I try to eat high protein, high fiber, and I watch my carbs but I don't try to eat "low carb". Carbs are so important for the body to function properly, and I would honestly be miserable without my breads and pastas.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am currently watching my sugar intake because overload of processed foods/sugars causes my emotional state to send me into depression and my body feels dirty. i even cut back on my fruits most days.

My main watches are caloriies, carbs, fats, fiber and proteins
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My emphasis is on calories for now. I will be beginning to get more strength training incorporated, so I will be more closely watching my protein intake as well.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stay under my calorie goal of 1200, but was recently told the carbs are more important to watch.

In order, I try to maintain:

1) carbohydrates
    2) calories
    3) daily exercise
    3) fat
    4) sugar
    5) sodium

1) sugar (completely empty calories no benefit for my health, energy levels, makes me crave more)
    2) daily exercise (fitness, tone big priority and gives me a little leeway for more food:-))
    3) calories (to stay within my goal)
    3) carbohydrates (I eat so many fruits, veggies, and gluten-free grains so I don't worry so much)
    4) fat (I only concern myself with the type of fat)
    5) sodium (I know I should be more concerned about this. It I have very low BP so I don't. And I low salt more than sugar!

Good post.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I pretty much keep my eye on everything. I try to mix foods together, keeping an eye on portion control.
    When I do this it keeps everything pretty much in check. I clean eat only, witch really helps out.
    Sodium is very important, as I now only have borderline high blood pressure, I did have high BP.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    1. Calories
    2. Fiber - keeps me full and I am anemic and have to take an iron supplement. Thus, I NEED the fiber.
    3. 10% calories of treats. I like to have a small treat and try to keep it a small part of my day
    4. Carbs/Protein/Fat - I aim for 40/30/30. I lose best and feel best when I can be around this ratio.

I'm not sure where it fits in because its related to all of these - but just watching my whole foods. I strive to eat whole foods and not so much processed
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've stopped logging (testing myself to see if I got the hang of this) but when I did, I cared about calories (staying in a ballpark) and protein (getting at least 100g). Sometimes fiber, just to keep me "going."

All the other numbers can stuff themselves.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    calories, then protein, fiber...after that I don't really care.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Calories. I don't pay much attention to any thing else which is pretty bad of me, I know. But 9 days out of 10 according to my diary on here I don't go over on any thing else any way and I've lost close to 100lbs so why worry about changing what isn't broken? lol