What Do You Watch Most? (Calories, Fat, Carbs, Sugar, etc.)

Options

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I focus first on protein, then fats, then I have a look at my overall calorie intake.
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Carbs, Gotta keep the carbs low to stay in ketosis

I watch calories a little bit but not that much anymore
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    steps to losing weight:

1) watch caloires
    2) ????
    3) Profit
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    I've really only counted calories for the first 30 lbs dropped. But there is one thing I almost never let myself have: MEAT.

However, its not little things like that I'm most concerned of- its eating BETTER. I've dropped all fast food and a LOT of meat. I still eat meat, but far less and only once or twice a week. I'm still getting the proteins I need and vitamins from all the fruits, veggies, wheat, etc!

Some people are afraid to give up meat, but all meat really does it give you extra energy to keep things running. I have a bunch of that stuff already stored as fat in my belly, so meat is not an important supplement and probably won't be for me for quite awhile.

I'm actually eating a LOT more and feel way fuller, happier, stronger, etc when I eat more greens. When I eat meat, I feel slowed down. I save it for special occasions.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories and occasionally glance at my protein and fat intake. As Im eating healthy foods (fats especially) Im not worried about being over the other nutrients.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I primarily watch calories but I also keep an eye on my macros (55% carbs/15% protein/30% fat). Beyond that, I track calcium and fiber. I also have started watching sodium because I cook for someone who needs to watch their salt intake.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. Sodium -- I manage my high blood pressure (complemented by a family history of strokes) by attempting to keep sodium under 1500 mg per day. Secondary benefit is that it keeps me away from a lot of processed foods.

2. Water -- This helps with the sodium management, medication management and appetite as well as several other benefits that I am not focusing directly on at this time.

3. Potassium -- I had a low potassium event a few years ago during chemo and can assure you I never want another one. I have read and vaguely understand how sodium and potassium work together at a cellular level. I want to make sure that I always get more (ideally at least double) potassium than sodium.

4. Calories -- I don't much care if I am over or under by 250 calories in a day, because my weight loss goals are minimal. I am set for 1/2 pound loss a month. I'd really like to be able to set the goal at 1/4 of a pound. I am happy if I lose a pound in a month. I've lost a lot of weight with relatively little suffering this way over the past four years.

While I am sure I go over my prescribed MFP ratios in various areas, these measures really help me with lifestyle, control and health. My big NSV managing my nutrients this way is that I look good, I have energy, I eat well, I sleep well (this takes the most effort on this fitness journey), I smille most of the day, I'm alive to hug my husband (kids and grandkids) and my doctor's say my blood work and general health is awesome.

Edit to add -- Exercise and/or activity on a daily basis
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I only watch calories (and protein if I'm lifting, but I haven't been lifting as of late).
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Calories, then water, then sodium, then carbs, but if I'm over on sodium and carbs and under calories and had at least 8 glasses of water, I'm happy.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Sugar most definitely...I have tried to cut that down and out completely...
    Also calories and exercise.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My main focus is calories, but I keep a very close eye on the sodium
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    calories, water/sodium, protein, fiber, carbs, fat, sometimes cholesterol, in that order...
  • akfarmer
    Options
    my doctor told me to watch calorie, but i have noticed that if i keep my calories in the right range, everything else falls into place.
  • cadams1696
    cadams1696 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I focus on carbs. I am pre-diabetic. The carbs allowed on the diet calculator do not deduct for fibers and sugar alcohols so the net carbs are not accurate in this calculator. There needs to be a calculator for this. Millions of Americans are diabetic or are pre-diabetic. The amount of carbs allowed are tooooooooo high for people like me.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. I count calories with an emphasis on keeping my carbs relatively low and protein high.

THIS
  • Alamano
    Alamano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Carbs.

16780675.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jenswan70
    jenswan70 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I watch calories first because that is the reason I gained the weight. Second is fat because of medication. Third is sodium because I'm sensitive to salt. Lastly, calcium because I'm a woman over 40.
  • tjalred
    tjalred Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I focus on salt more that anything else. Calories would come next.
    Salt has a devastating affect on me - I can gain as much as 10 pounds in a day from salt. I've done it too many times to count. (Dang chips and salsa!)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Calories, fat, fibre. Keep a slight eye on carbs for sure.
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    1. Calories
    2. Sodium
    3. Fat
    4. Carbs