Runners: Can We Be Honest?

Options
124»

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think that you're eating way too much before your run. Try eating a cereal bar or half a bagel or even nothing at all. I would carry some jelly beans or Gu with you to take if you feel like you need some fuel during your run. For 12 or 14 miles, I eat a Entemann's chocolate chip cereal bar or maybe a Gu before my run and that's it. I fuel myself during my run with Gatorade if I need it.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I always roll my eyes over the dietary recommendations for before a race, because being vegetarian, dairy-free, and grain-free -- fruits, veggies, and beans *are* my diet. There's nothing I can eat that is not high-fibre!

Pam

At least one day before running, limit or avoid high-fiber and gas-producing foods, such as beans, bran, fruit and salad. If you run every day, experiment to find a tolerable level of fiber. Otherwise, simply eat those foods after you run.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    great stuff here....going to hang on to this info as I'm hoping to do a half in September....
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach. I am also training for my 1st half marathon and Yesterday my long run was 20k. I did manage. I had a serving of pasta the night before though.

Do you put milk on your oatmeal? Milk does that to me. Also i try to go lite on high fibre the day before as well.
  • UrSeeingRed
    Options
    New runner here. I appreciate all the info.