She thinks she's helping...

Options
124»

Replies

• merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Wow. Do we work with the same woman?

There's a woman at work who decided before Christmas (or so) that she wanted to lose weight. She'll ask me questions and I will answer her honestly... then she argues.

For example:

Her: "I just lowered my calories to 1200 a day. I seemed to have hit a plateau and I want to see if I can get my weight loss moving again. Do you think 1200 is too low? too high? just right? How many calories do YOU eat in a day?"

Me: "I can't tell you if 1200 is too high or too low for your body. You have to just do it and see how it works out for you. I personally eat anywhere from 2300-2500 net calories a day. I know I burn a lot of calories because we work on our feet and are in constant motion"

Her: "Are you kidding? 2300-2500 a DAY? Oh, sweetie.. you're going to get SO FAT eating that many calories. Why on earth would you eat that many?!"

Me: "Um. Well, because I know that's what my body needs. I've been doing it for the better part of 18 months and I'm doing just fine, thank you. There's NO WAY I could survive on only 1200 calories a day. Like I said, do what works for YOU".

Her: "18 months huh? Well, you're gonna get fat. Just you wait. You'll wake up one day and you'll be fat. You should stop eating so much it isn't good for you. Do you want to hear what I eat each day? You could try eating what I eat.. I bet it would help you".

Me: "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing just fine thank you".

Her: "You're gonna be fat. I'm telling you. Fat."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Leave me alone. Seriously. Leave me alone. Go away. Do what you please, but stop telling me what I should do.

Damn I'd strangle her! Sorry! X

LMAO. Yeah. She's annoying.... I figure a day will come when what she's doing isn't working and she'll REALLY need and want help.

I think these older ladies who grew up with the 70's version of weight watchers and REALLY bad "diet" information are clueless. They are miserable and want you to be. Personally I hate when people use the word FAT like it's the worst thing you could ever be in your life.
    Personally, I'd rather be fat than be HER! LOL
  • becjerami
    Options
    Oh dear, I sympathise. I had a similar problem with a co-worker who was/is also trying to lose weight. She didn't comment on my food so much but every time she saw me she would make some comment about the shape of my body or that my *kitten* was getting smaller etc etc... Also telling me not to lose too much weight because I'm a pear shape blah blah. Made me really uncomfortable and selfconscious to think she was watching me walk around the office and taking mental notes on the size of my *kitten*, almost to the point where I was worried to lose more weight in case she commented, lol. I never once initiated any of these conversations!

Funny thing is, she made most of these comments when I was only losing a little bit of weight, or none at all, or in fact gained weight. Now that I've really started losing weight she hasn't said a word!

I did want to tell her to STFU but I I'm glad I didn't now as just smiling/nodding/giving brief answers seems to have worked.

I am pretty sure she wasn't trying to be rude, she just has no idea what constitutes appropriate behaviour!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The last time a colleague said "you can't eat that" to me I just laughed and replied "Yes, I can. I can eat whatever I like. And where were you 80+ lbs ago when it might actually have been helpful if someone had told me to step away from the cake?"
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    How irritating. Clearly you know what you're doing. You're an adult and you've lost FIFTY POUNDS already. I'd be strongly tempted to tell her to STFU, myself. Not the best approach, but neither is micromanaging another person's diet. LOL

Lol this definitely!
  • sappyoldlady
    sappyoldlady Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    She probably is trying to help...everyone goes about it different...just do her the same way....it does get on your nerves but at the same time...I like having someone "most of the time" helping nudge me along....took the good and try to ignore the bad LOL if that's possible..
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How irritating. Clearly you know what you're doing. You're an adult and you've lost FIFTY POUNDS already. I'd be strongly tempted to tell her to STFU, myself. Not the best approach, but neither is micromanaging another person's diet. LOL
    No, tell this woman to BUTT OUT!
    Some people are just toxic!
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    LOL! You go!
    Love your respones to this person!

I think all of us have someone like this in their life. I went though the same thing with a coworker as well. In the beginning, she lost ALOT of weight very fast. Like 70 lbs in about 4 months. I have only lost 60 in 9 months. We work at different offices and only see eachother on occasion. The last time I seen her, she said "I don't see what everyone is talking about..you don't look like you've lost anything"

I just smiled and told her I actually am down 60 lbs and 3 sizes and FEEL fabulous!! (she on the other hand, gained back most of her weight...)

Karma is a *****....isn't it?
  • mkcreek
    Options
    Boy, can I relate! But I have been a yo-yo dieter for my entire life. I'm finding that (finally) I have found something that works. I am eating all the same things, just cognizant of calories and portion sizes, thanks to MFP. When I've cut things out and deprived myself totally, it backfires.

Your "friend" needs a wake-up call on how her behavior is impacting you. Tell her that you are doing fine on your plan and feel confident that you have chosen wisely for yourself. Smile, then walk away (it's ok to swear under your breath, though! LOL)
    :happy: