what are people's thoughts about the paleo diet

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Please note: This post is meant to be tongue in cheek and light-hearted. Eat in whatever manner best fits your lifestyle.

This was caveman's ideal woman:

Venus_of_Willendorf.jpg

The ancient Greeks included wine, cheese, and bread in their diet, and this was their ideal woman:

B6CYF00Z.jpg

All hail Dionysus!!! :drinker:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    there are some people out there who cannot sustain a calorie-restrictive diet that is all-inclusive of foods.

Of course, and people should strive to be in-tune with which foods those are. I think there's good reasons to eliminate foods:

1) Medical conditions/Food intolerances
    2) Behavioral food elimination (ex: "I can't eat chocolate cake because if I have it in the house I'll eat the whole thing")
    3) Moral reasons.

But the problem is, alarmist videos and fad diets emerge that are NOT scientifically supported, and they cause people to fear certain foods or sometimes even entire categories of foods, and that causes people to try and follow a plan that could be eliminating foods that they enjoy while providing NO justifiable reason for doing so, outside of "This is what diet X calls for me to do".
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

It only does a disservice because you disagree. I have been in this game for too long. I am smart enough to know that eating Paleo is no better than, the Anabolic Diet, Atkins, The Zone, The Twinke Diet, INSERT YOUR DIET HERE. They are all based around being in a calorie deficit.

After losing 100 pounds, worrying about multiple meals, and eating "clean". I learned that eating anything in moderation was the key. If I were to do all it over again, I would do that way and be much happier.

That being said, I am still waiting for you to provide any publications stating that Paleo is better. I will wait for it.

I disagree with what from the website? I just think the website is idiotic because it doesn't take into account hormones, sustainability, medical complications, or really anything. It is stupidly over-simplistic.

What am I supposed to prove Paleo is better than?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It excludes certain types of food based on a false premise, and then claims to have positive effects on health and body composition, not because of calorie balance and macro intake, but because you excluded the "evil" foods.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I disagree with what from the website? I just think the website is idiotic because it doesn't take into account hormones, sustainability, medical complications, or really anything. It is stupidly over-simplistic.

It's really just a log, food database, and calculator. It's not a "weight loss program" per se.

MFP is to your diet, what a calculator is to your tax return.

It's easy enough for people to enter ridiculous things into the calculator and come back with ridiculous results.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

It only does a disservice because you disagree. I have been in this game for too long. I am smart enough to know that eating Paleo is no better than, the Anabolic Diet, Atkins, The Zone, The Twinke Diet, INSERT YOUR DIET HERE. They are all based around being in a calorie deficit.

After losing 100 pounds, worrying about multiple meals, and eating "clean". I learned that eating anything in moderation was the key. If I were to do all it over again, I would do that way and be much happier.

That being said, I am still waiting for you to provide any publications stating that Paleo is better. I will wait for it.

Dieting is that simple. For most people you don't have to worry about hormonial changes until you reach low body fat level. Trust and believe that AVERAGE overweight person will not have to worry about hormones affecting their weight loss in any way.
  • grinch031
    Options

It's really just a log, food database, and calculator. It's not a "weight loss program" per se.

It's easy enough for people to enter ridiculous things into the calculator and come back with ridiculous results.

I'm no talking about MFP, just that stupid link that was posted telling us that 'fat loss = caloric deficit'
  • taso42
    Options

I'm no talking about MFP, just that stupid link that was posted telling us that 'fat loss = caloric deficit'

whoops. i'm only half paying attention. i'll go now.
  • grinch031
    Options

Dieting is that simple. For most people you don't have to worry about hormonial changes until you reach low body fat level. Trust and believe that AVERAGE overweight person will not have to worry about hormones affecting their weight loss in any way.

So where are you coming up with this idea that dieting is simple? Because its simple FOR YOU.
    Not only this is a local phenomenon, globally, WHO estimated one billion adults are overweight and more than 300 million are obese.

http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/child-obesity/global-obesity.php#ixzz1mTQeVVuu

Please inform the world that dieting is very simple.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think is funny about Paleo - it's all, "oh, we eat things that cavemen ate" ... but then you see the Paleo folks posting recipes for things like "Paleo ice cream" and "Paleo pizza" made with 'approved' paleo foods.

I guess I just didn't realize that cavemen mixed water with almond paste to make 'milk' to add to things ... or that they ate 'pizza' with cauliflower crust.

It really seems to me that it's nothing more than a fad diet touted by people that prefer rigidity and structure to a fault.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

So where are you coming up with this idea that dieting is simple? Because its simple FOR YOU.
    Not only this is a local phenomenon, globally, WHO estimated one billion adults are overweight and more than 300 million are obese.

http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/child-obesity/global-obesity.php#ixzz1mTQeVVuu

he didn't say "easy"
  • grinch031
    Options
    there are some people out there who cannot sustain a calorie-restrictive diet that is all-inclusive of foods.

Of course, and people should strive to be in-tune with which foods those are. I think there's good reasons to eliminate foods:

1) Medical conditions/Food intolerances
    2) Behavioral food elimination (ex: "I can't eat chocolate cake because if I have it in the house I'll eat the whole thing")
    3) Moral reasons.

But the problem is, alarmist videos and fad diets emerge that are NOT scientifically supported, and they cause people to fear certain foods or sometimes even entire categories of foods, and that causes people to try and follow a plan that could be eliminating foods that they enjoy while providing NO justifiable reason for doing so, outside of "This is what diet X calls for me to do".

People on this board continuously try to say that sugar and refined carbs aren't unhealthy, don't cause obesity, etc.. Yet every time I eat them I end up binging on them and gaining weight. Or if I keep eating them and restrict calories, I'm starving all the time.

So am I supposed to listen to the "science", or follow the fad diet that actually allows me to lose weight? I'm going to choose the fad diet regardless of what the underlying science is.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    bump, these threads are always fun to read
  • taso42
    Options
    People on this board continuously try to say that sugar and refined carbs aren't unhealthy, don't cause obesity, etc.. Yet every time I eat them I end up binging on them and gaining weight. Or if I keep eating them and restrict calories, I'm starving all the time.

people keep trying to say that cats and dogs are great pets. but how come every time i'm near them, i get asthma attacks, and my eyes start burning? it's unhealthy to own cats and dogs.

see what i did there?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

So am I supposed to listen to the "science", or follow the fad diet that actually allows me to lose weight? I'm going to choose the fad diet regardless of what the underlying science is.

Well, ideally you would follow a calorie restrictive diet and you would learn to recognize that your individual needs dictate that you limit the foods that cause you to binge, and you would also strive to limit refined sugars because for you, they don't bring you satiety. You can do this without following some arbitrary set of rules based on pseudoscience. (There is a big difference between eliminating a food because it causes you to behave differently, and eliminating a food based on the fear that an individual food item will directly cause adiposity).

Additionally, my reply that you quoted already addressed this. When I say "behavioral", I would include foods that cause binges and I would also suggest to ANYONE that is restricting calories without following a dogmatic plan, that they consider satiety when making food choices.

When I am cutting weight I will absolutely consider satiety as one big criteria in my food choices.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think is funny about Paleo - it's all, "oh, we eat things that cavemen ate" ... but then you see the Paleo folks posting recipes for things like "Paleo ice cream" and "Paleo pizza" made with 'approved' paleo foods.

I guess I just didn't realize that cavemen mixed water with almond paste to make 'milk' to add to things ... or that they ate 'pizza' with cauliflower crust.

It really seems to me that it's nothing more than a fad diet touted by people that prefer rigidity and structure to a fault.

This. Additionally saying "Cavemen = healthier" is just dumb. How long did they live? How tall were they? How were their teeth? What about infant mortality rates? Really, as a group, they are probably the worst role models one could chose.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Re-read my post, regarding where I came from. It is much SIMPLIER when you remove all the broscience and bs expectations from the equation.

Now, Paleo is better how?
  • grinch031
    Options

people keep trying to say that cats and dogs are great pets. but how come every time i'm near them, i get asthma attacks, and my eyes start burning? it's unhealthy to own cats and dogs.

see what i did there?

Oh and what Fitnesssocial is saying that people who refuse to have cats and dogs as pets are dumb because cats and dogs are good pets!