do you include fruit calories?

Options

Replies

• xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes you absolutely need to include fruit calories, veggie cals etc.

Log anything you put in your mouth.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I never do as it's never been required in any other diet I did (Slimming World and Weight Watchers). I rarely eat a banana (maybe twice a week if that) so I don't even include that. If I did include my daily fruit, i'd prob be adding 200-300 calories a day to my diary!

Just wondered what others do.

Of course I do. Just because you don't log it, doesn't mean your body isn't processing it :laugh:

Weight loss is simply science. You must eat 3500 calories per week LESS than your body is burning to lose one pound per week. That is a deficit of 500 calories per day. MFP calculates your daily calorie goal based on that. So if you are not logging 200-300 calories per day that you are eating (fruit), that's 1400-2100 extra calories per week that you are not accounting for!!!
    Unless you are not eating back your exercise calories (which you should be because otherwise that will INCREASE your deficit too much) then you should count calories for every single thing you put into your mouth.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Anything with calories should be logged in unless you're on some whacky diet where fruits don't count.
    I avoid such tomfoolery. If I eat it, it counts.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just as weight watchers requires you to log anything with points (I think that's how it works), calorie counting requires you to count anything with calories. Like you said, fruit can add up to 200-300 calories a day which is quite a significant amount so you should add them.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do not log fruit, pizza or doughnuts.
  • I log them. Why not? I want to know how many calories I am eating. Calories in...Calories out, right? What I am not sure about is how concerned I should be about the sugar content of fruit. It is pretty high, but at least it isn't "added" sugar.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth.

*Everything*? ;-)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Of course you include it... you include anything that has calories - it doesn't matter where they come from.

If I drink a protein shake, I count it for the calories etc. and also as ounces in my water intake. All fluids count there too.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, and it has calories, count it. Is this that hard of a concept. Also, if I didn't log my fruit intake, I'd be consistently underestimating my caloric intake. You're "only" eat 200-300 calories a day worth of fruit? Umm, that's half my caloric deficit...
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    if it passes my lips than it goes on my log... except water - I am terrible at recording water.
  • MissGatekeeper
    Options
    Of course I log it. I eat it! I look back through my diary, (might be checking out a week I lost more or less, comparing those) and if I don't log it, that would leave me with results that might be untrue. Also. It has calories, I am aiming for a deficit.
  • nallbaby10
    Options
    I do! Along with drinks, condiments, etc. If it has a calorie in it, I'm logging it!

^^ This^^
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    Of course. They have calories.
  • merryscottuk
    Options
    i log everything. even gum and cough drops.

Gum?! I've no idea how many calories are in gum! Guess I'd better check :)
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    I do! Along with drinks, condiments, etc. If it has a calorie in it, I'm logging it!

^^ This^^

I even log diet drinks for the sodium content.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth.

*Everything*? ;-)

Thank you for saying what some of us were thinking. :wink: :blushing:
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes I do count my fruit. WW has alreaddy figured in the effects of uncounted fruit. I have not done new weight watchers but on the old weight watchers I did before fruit and veggies counted some were low enough that they were 0 pts. But I remember counting my bananas point on WW.

I look at it like this - would you count a 100 cal. bag of popcorn? What is the difference between that and a banana?
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    of course. why wouldn't you?

^^THIS^^

"If you bite it..write it" Weight Watchers quote. They absolutely count fruit. Anything you eat..ANYTHING.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    YES! Some fruits are pretty high. Bananas and grapes. But all have a good amount of cals and sugar. I definately log.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    i log everything. even gum and cough drops.

Gum?! I've no idea how many calories are in gum! Guess I'd better check :)

I'm pretty sure a stick of "extra" gum is 5 calories...I think...:ohwell: