do you include fruit calories?

Options

Replies

• merryscottuk
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, and it has calories, count it. Is this that hard of a concept. Also, if I didn't log my fruit intake, I'd be consistently underestimating my caloric intake. You're "only" eat 200-300 calories a day worth of fruit? Umm, that's half my caloric deficit...

Of course it's not a "hard" concept...

As I said in my post, I'm merely doing what other diets have advised me to do in the past. I assume this is because fruit and veg have vitamins and fibre and are extremely good for you. However, that doesn't mean I'm ruling out logging it permanently - hence posting this for others' experiences.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I do not log fruit, pizza or doughnuts.

:laugh: And there ya go!
  • merryscottuk
    Options
    of course. why wouldn't you?

^^THIS^^

"If you bite it..write it" Weight Watchers quote. They absolutely count fruit. Anything you eat..ANYTHING.

Not now with Pro Points they don't!
  • merryscottuk
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth.

*Everything*? ;-)

Thank you for saying what some of us were thinking. :wink: :blushing:

Lol :D Some things surely aren't on the MFP database??!!!
  • merryscottuk
    Options
    Yes I do count my fruit. WW has alreaddy figured in the effects of uncounted fruit. I have not done new weight watchers but on the old weight watchers I did before fruit and veggies counted some were low enough that they were 0 pts. But I remember counting my bananas point on WW.

I look at it like this - would you count a 100 cal. bag of popcorn? What is the difference between that and a banana?

Fibre, protein, 15 percent of the daily value for vitamin C, 20 percent of the vitamin B6 and 20 percent of the potassium...

But I take your point!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Absolutely add in your fruit! Although great sources of vitamins, minerals, and fiber too many servings (especially of high glycemic index fruit) in a day can add an additional 500 calories an several grams of sugar into your diet. Not counting your fruit calories and sugars could halt your weight loss or keep you in a plateau.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. The only time I don't log something is if I fall asleep and forget.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So if you don't log the calories they somehow don't count? I'm pretty sure that even if you don't log it your body counts it.

You need to be responsible for everything you eat, everything.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    of course. why wouldn't you?

^^THIS^^

"If you bite it..write it" Weight Watchers quote. They absolutely count fruit. Anything you eat..ANYTHING.

Not now with Pro Points they don't!

Stop looking for excuses to not log.

Pick a program and stick with it. Cherry picking the parts of multiple programs that you like is not going to pan out well at all.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I log all of the higher calorie fruits, if I just grab a strawberry as I walk past someone I don't bother logging that, I'm sure me climbing stairs, doing gym work, walking everywhere which I don't log will burn that off!
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes! Fruit is high in natural sugars. And sugars are essentially a simpler form of carbohydrates. For example - raisins are basically dried up grapes, yet a small box is 130 calories! A banana is 100 calories at least. The only fruit I might not include is watermelon, as it is mostly water. Lol!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I always do because it has calories, some fruits have over 100 cal per serving so depending on the person, the day it could add up quickly!!

I was on weight watchers for many years and they have you count fruit most of them were 1-2 points each!!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Most definitely!! If it goes in my mouth, I log it.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Nope I dont log fruit because its got sugar -- by the same token I dont log chocolate or candy either.
    Oh and I dont log veggies that are green ... because green foods are good for you... therefore Andes Mints are a free food.

:)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I hate these forums sometimes.

The difference between here and Slimming world is that this is calorie controlled by the user, so in Slimming World on a green day you can have as much fruit and veg as you want, but here it's all about logging everything you eat yourself.

This place is flexible, you can use it however you like, which of course has it's upsides and downsides. I bet the OP wasn't expecting this kind of a crazy onslaught when she started the thread...
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Nope I dont log fruit because its got sugar -- by the same token I dont log chocolate or candy either.
    Oh and I dont log veggies that are green ... because green foods are good for you... therefore Andes Mints are a free food.

:)
    Same goes for pistachio pudding, lime sherbet, and margaritas (which are sort of more yellow than green, but the little bit of green counts)

ETA - as a NON-snarky answer, MFP is a calorie-counting website - if it has calories, it counts. The other programs you mentioned don't count calories, which is probably why fruit didn't count.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you count fruit? It has calories, it has sugar, it has carbs, and it has fiber. I count all my fruits & veggies.
  • jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i log everything i eat/drink unless it's something so small that would be silly to log (a sip of someone's drink, a bite of a meal or something). the only thing i log that is 'small' is any squares of chocolate i have, because they are usually calorie-rich!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    (snipped)
    ETA - as a NON-snarky answer, MFP is a calorie-counting website - if it has calories, it counts. The other programs you mentioned don't count calories, which is probably why fruit didn't count.

THIS!! Weight Watchers is set up so that it allows you to not count fruits and most of the veggies. They already have that built in to the calculation when they figure out how many points you get. I don't know anything about Slimming World but I'm assuming it's the same kind of concept. However, MFP is not set up that way. They figure out how many calories, fat, protein, etc works for you and there is no margin built in for not logging fruits, veggies, etc. As another poster mentioned, there is flexibility as it's up to all of us to log honestly and get our water and all that other stuff but you can't fit a square peg in a round hole...
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    yeah fruit has a lot of calories...why do people think vegetables or fruit aren't food and you thus wouldn't record their calories???