When did people start to notice weight loss

Options

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how observent the person is. Sometimes we see someone and we know something is different, that they look good, but we can't put our finger on exactly what it is. We don't want to look stupid, so rather than complement someone, we just say nothing. Or they DO notice, but they don't want to say anything for fear of offending us. They may not know that you've been working your butt off to lose that 20 lbs.

Please don't take it personally! You have done a great job, someone will get the courage to say something.
  • plargomar
    plargomar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound like an echo too. Everyone up above is right:

-people who see you everyday won't notice
    -depends on how much overall weight you have to lose
    -depends on where you lose it first (I tend to melt: comes off my face, then shoulders, chest (boo!), belly then lastly my thunder thighs)

Hang in there...once summer comes and you are sporting the summer clothes, everyone will be commenting before you know it.

Great job on the 20! I think I have another month before I can hit that mark :)
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with a lot of the other posts. It should only matter if you notice a difference. Yes, it is encouraging to receive compliments from other people, but you know your body better than anyone else. I have lost 12 pounds since the beginning of January 2012. Nobody seems to notice (except for my precious daughter), but I definitely notice. I feel better, and my clothes fit better. It will take time for everybody else to notice, but you should be proud of your progress no matter what anybody says or thinks. You are doing so well, keep it up!
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As of yesterday, I've lost fifty pounds. People are just starting to notice. In fact, yesterday, a lot of folks noticed. However, when I had lost about 25 pounds, three people (within 10 minutes) asked me if I'd gotten a haircut.

Like someone else said, you will notice more than anyone else ... especially when you are putting on clothes. Twenty pounds is great!! That's nearly a 2 1/2 gallon pail of water. If you need more convincing, try picking up two gallons of milk at the store and think, "I've lost more than this!"

Endeavor to persevere!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    How fast you lose weight also affect things. 20 lbs might not be much over a few months to people that see you everyday, but it will probably be noticed by someone that hasn't seen you in a while.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    remember, if you're still wearing your old clothes, people might not notice it. so go find yourself some skinny jeans and a slinky dress.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Only one person noticed mine at 23lbs yet. Last time I lost successfully it took 30lbs for anyone to comment.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It took about 30-40 pounds before people REALLY noticed. After 50-60, people started having a hard time recognizing me. At 125+, even I don't recognize me.

A few things impact when the weight loss shows - how tall you are (the taller you are, the more "spread out" the weight is so it takes more to show when you gain or lose a few pounds), how much you have to lose (the close you get to your goal, the more each pound will show), and whether you are around perceptive or completely oblivious people.

Also, as someone else said - if you are wearing your old clothes, it's going to be less noticeable.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on how you're built and how much you have to lose. Don't get discouraged though, someone will notice!!
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Even if no one notices, you still lost 20 pounds! :)
    It's hard to notice sometimes when the weight loss is gradual.
    It will be come more apparent when you put on smaller clothes.
    Keep up the good work!
    :)
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    I work in an office with (mostly) all men. My boss says, to err on the safe side, you should NEVER comment to a women on:
    1) age
    2) weight
    3) pregnancy status.

So, maybe people are worried about offending you?
    Remember, you're doing this for you! That's all that matters.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I started feeling better after about 10lbs. My wife & family took notice after about 20 lbs. And, my friends & acquaintances started complimenting me after about 30 lbs.
    Now at over 70 lbs lost. People I have not seen in a long time do not even recognize me.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have a suspicion that people notice earlier than they comment. I think people like to wait a while to be absolutely certain your weight loss is intentional.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I´m thinking it might be the clothes, too... sometimes one wears a new outfit, of a particular color that is slimming, and they think you lose weight when you didn´t, so I´m sure the reverse is true. Nonetheless, it is true that the important thing is that you actually lost it, and when you keep at it, eventually someone will notice. But if you really need the encouragement, or want to be sure you get it when you reach the 30 lb mark, too, take a look at the color and slim-factor of your clothes.
  • CSummers316
    Options
    Also keep in mind that when you are seeing yourself everyday and the changes are happening every day, not everyone is going to notice things right away. It is a process and eventually someone will say "Hey, are you working out?" It happens to me quite frequently with coworkers who I do not spend much time around, not so much with the roommates or family.

The important thing is that you are doing this for you, and you do not quit.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost but 3 pounds (maybe more now, but I don't have a scale at home, and I don't go to a gym cause we can't afford it), but people like my mother, my doctor and his nurse can tell that I've lost/slimmed from muscle toning already. Hubby doesn't see it yet, but he sees me every day, and I don't think it's a big enough change for him to see yet. Knowing that people who don't see me very often can see a difference is nice though. But I'm doing this for me, and not for everyone else, so if they hadn't noticed yet, I wouldn't be upset about it either.
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you start and where your body typically loses it first. I started at 286 and I seem to lose it in the face and butt first. People started noticing at about 15 pounds. I was walking around my Tampa office today and I'm at the 22 pound point and everyone seems to be saying something. I just think it varies. Keep at it!! 20 pounds is fantastic!!!!!
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    You know, eventually they might even notice when they see that you glow from happiness of having lost the 20 lbs. , too...
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have a suspicion that people notice earlier than they comment. I think people like to wait a while to be absolutely certain your weight loss is intentional.

^^This! Someone at work this morning came in and looked at me, paused, and asked me if I was sick...I said no, I feel fine, then he followed with Oh... but you're losing weight. I'd have rather he not say anything at all...

Keep your chin up girl! You know in your heart (and your clothes!) that you've lost 20 lbs - and we all think that that's an amazing accomplishment! <hugs!>
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Supposedly other people noticed my weight loss after about 25-30 pounds...but I have not seen a change at all. I think I look exactly the same as I did when I weighed 226....So I don't know if people are just being nice because they know I'm trying, or if I am just not seeing what they are seeing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!