When did people start to notice weight loss

Options

Replies

• yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It took 40lbs before anyone noticed last time, but even at that point some didn't, so I'm expecting it to take 50 or more.
    You're doing great - think of it as your own happy little secret knowing that when people start to comment you'll have come even further :smile:
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs from 2007 to 2010 and I work in a doctors office where I see the same patients over and over. I worked with a girl who had be here a lot longer than me and she only ate 1 meal a day and was TINY. Patients kept saying to her "girl how much weight have you lost?! You are so little." PISSED ME OFF!!! ugh
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    As of yesterday, I've lost fifty pounds. People are just starting to notice. In fact, yesterday, a lot of folks noticed. However, when I had lost about 25 pounds, three people (within 10 minutes) asked me if I'd gotten a haircut.

Like someone else said, you will notice more than anyone else ... especially when you are putting on clothes. Twenty pounds is great!! That's nearly a 2 1/2 gallon pail of water. If you need more convincing, try picking up two gallons of milk at the store and think, "I've lost more than this!"

Endeavor to persevere!

:heart: Love this!!

People at work haven't said a word. my ticker shows 11lbs lost, but 2 years ago I was 30 lbs heavier than I am now and not a single person outside of my family has said anything.
    But, honestly, I'm doing it for me so...I don't care! I notice and I'm feeling fabulous and I'm standing taller. All that matters in my book!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    First, congrats on your weight loss! That's something to be proud of! I think it depends on your build, how much you have to lose, and where you happen to be losing it from the most. I had people commenting after I dropped 6 lbs. But I am short, with a small frame, and my stomach started shrinking fairly quickly, so it was more noticeable. Hang in there and remember all the other reasons you are doing this!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I sure wish they would start :(
    Particulary that one person, ya know what i mean?

This!!!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done on your weight loss, 20lbs is fantastic!

As others have said, if you wear the same clothes it doesn't always notice, and also if people see you on a fairly regular basis they may not see much change although its there under their noses.

It took 60+lbs for anyone to comment that I'd lost weight - now, at 88lbs down, my mum still cannot see any change, which really upsets me, but others ARE commenting, and even I can see a difference when I look in a mirror, although deep down inside I will always be 375lbs, but that's just me.

I found that once I'd dropped a size in clothes and started wearing clothes that I bought because I liked, not because they were big enough to fit me, my confidence has grown, and perhaps this is what is making people notice more.

Don't worry about what others say or think, you're doing this for you, so keep up the great work!
  • achief192
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds and almost no one noticed until I bought smaller clothes :)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    20-25lbs for anyone to notice on me. I am short and carry most of my flub in my midsection, but of course lost from my legs and such first, where it was not noticeable.

Keep at it, you are doing great!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7lbs, (I'm at 117.4 now) and a friend actually JUST noticed yesterday, made me super happy.
  • anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If people are around you on a daily basis they dont notice at all...its so crazy my friend lost about 100lbs and i couldnt tell except when i looked at old pics it was so crazy bc i was around her every single day...but people im never around i notice at about 10lbs u can always see it in their face :) GREAT JOB on losing 20lbs!!!
  • Kim28dav
    Options
    I can relate......I have lost 15 siince Jan 1st and no one has really said anything.....I can tell in my clothes tho because my pants are loose in the waist and my belly has shrunk down some. Oh well!!! Maybe by the next 15 they will start seeing it. Plus when they see you often they don't notice it as much.
  • cheermomof3
    Options
    I had this conversation with my mom this morning, people would tell her that I looked like I had lost weight but never told me. I guess they didn't know how to tell me, weight has always been a touchy subject in our family. I had lost 26 pounds and only a few friends had said anything at all, but I could tell and that is what kept me going. Everyone could see a difference in my face and neck first now I am getting those "second looks" when I see someone I haven't seen in a few months. I can tell they want to ask, but not sure if they should or not! :noway:
  • bones24
    bones24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find this an interesting topic, and I'm right there with ya! I've lost almost 20 lbs and the only ones to say anything are my very encouraging hubby and a woman that only sees me once a week. I thanked her big time! I feel like I drag encouragement out of everyone else, which is no fun. My closest friends know, because I've talked about it here and there, although I've tried not to talk about it too much. But I don't get many encouraging words from them. I've often wondered why, because I'm so super excited about it! My guesses are that they don't want to say too much, because it would be inferring that I had weight to lose in the first place. Or in some cases, they may have weight they want to lose, and talking about it just highlights that too much. I think back to when I would see those around me exercising and losing weight, and I was glad for them, but I really didn't want to talk about it too much. It made me feel bad, but it's also what helped motivate me to start this whole process!

So, kuddos to you, and keep up the hard work! I know it's not only a physical accomplishment, but it's also an emotional accomplishment that just makes ya want to shout out! :)))
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Same here - I have lost 9 lbs and my hubby lost 20lbs and everyone has noticed him and no one outside of my support group(aka family) has said anything about me ...... but on the other hand I am doing this for me and I see a change not big but a change - Chin Up you are doing great 20 lbs is an awesome accomplishment !!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    People who see me everyday didn't notice till I had lost 20 lb+. I lost it slowly and I was still wearing my too large baggy scrubs so it was hard to tell. People who didn't see me everyday noticed right away.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the 3 pages, forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I love this mental image.

Imagine a fresh new roll of paper towels. That's the "before" you. Now you begin this journey, and you start peeling off towels. Every day, you take one off. After a week, you have taken off 7 towels! But the roll still looks pretty new....and it might be hard to notice that any towels have come off yet. BUT the good news is, as you keep going, and take off more towels, it is more and more visible, and easier to see the difference that each new towel makes. As you approach the center of the roll, every towel is wrapped several times around the center, and removing it makes a bigger visual impact.

20 lbs is amazing! And it shows you can do it! So keep up the good work!
  • alix1105
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs and no one has noticed

I'm noticing right now :) congrats!!!!! keep up the hard work!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do not feel discouraged. People are going to notice... it is going to be sudden and so shocking to them... like you woke up one morning and you were skinnier. =) You just keep on! You're doing great.
  • ViSabbi
    ViSabbi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    People don't notice my work either but hey. I didn't see them when I gained the weight so right now I'm probably around what I was when we last saw each other. I know that in a few months, they will clearly see the difference. :P Just give them some time ;)
  • Ms_Lassie
    Options
    I have lost just over 4 kgs and it has only been in the last week or so that I've gotten some comments. Nothing specific to weight just that I'm looking good, fresh or sometimes it's the clothes! E.g. that skirt looks really nice... I've had it for months but I think it's fitting better with the 4 kg loss!

I've been told that it takes 4 weeks to feel better, sleep better & have more energy. Up to 12 weeks is where there will start to be noticable changes. Though I've been on mfp since October, I haven't notices heaps of change in myself (I scrutinise closely nearly every day - very bad habit!) but I'm guessing in my face, skin & energy that things are really starting to show through now.

20lbs is great, & if you are feeling great about it then just go with that! Those compliments will come =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!