Congratulations McDonald's!

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    They should give out a full apple...

However, if I am going to McDonald's I am going to go big or go home...might as well just skip over the apples and go with the fries...lol

Plus, I don't like brown or bruised preserved apples...I prefer mine fresh and the color they were intended, red or green on the outside and off-white inside...lol
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I also get the happy meal. I love the toys. They make great freebies for my Sunday school kids! ;) I have not yet had the apples put into my meal. I guess I never thought about the option.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Can you supersize to a whole apple?

:laugh:

To be fair, a whole apple is really filling and most kids probably can't eat that much in addition to a sandwich or whatever.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Can you supersize to a whole apple?

:laugh:

Good one! :)
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You are so correct. I 'm a manager at Mcdonalds so i understand completly. But when i am in mood for it i will eat it. As to the french fries you may have 4-6 in that little small box. so if you got more then who ever was the fries person that day was really generous. But for next time just ask for double apple and no f.f. We do it all the time in Georgia.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I don't think it would be that much more for restaurants to offer baby carrots or even celery sticks as an option. I buy 1 pound bags of baby carrots for 99 cents. They are not that expensive. The problem I have with my kids IF we decide to grab McD's...which we haven't allowed them to eat there in at least 4 months, is they absolutely HATE the preservative that the apples are treated with to keep them from turning brown. It makes the apples taste very bitter. They will choose apples over fries but then they end up telling me the apples taste funny and they don't eat them.

But, like many others said, we don't usually got to a fast food place looking for healthy food. We don't really do fast food much at all.
    I would rather run through a grocery store and get a salad from teh salad bar then go through a drive through. Even Subway is depressing as a quick meal option while on the go! I try to plan ahead as much as I can and we make our lunches or I will go hungry until I get home to the "safe " food LOL!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am from Georgia. Everywhere you go you get slap-your-mama sweet tea. But you also have that option for unsweet tea EVERYWHERE you go. I have never been to a restaurant that didn't serve unsweet tea. Sit down, fast food, or gas station. Also, McDonald's changed their fries in my area. They have the little red container (SO CUTE) with a lot less fries. Sometimes I get apple packs with 3 slices and sometimes I get an apple and a half in a pack. Just take it back to them. Eventually when they get so many people who complain about them only getting 3 slices something will be done. It is the manufactures say so but at least the management could possible keep sending those back. (It was a niece thought that McDonald's would do the right thing anyway) Complain when they refuse to give you a better bag of apples instead of complaining that they did actually attempt to go healthier. I am glad they did it. They can't just take the fries away. Think about how many kids would be screaming and crying because they don't have fries! That could lead to a lot of business loss and a lot of people walking out on the job. I applaud them in their attempt to trying to go healthier.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am sort of appalled at how many fast food places don't offer unsweetened iced tea.

Coffee too! I can't believe McDonald's employees would just assume everyone wants a ton of sugar and cream dumped into their coffee. You can get hot coffee black if you ask for it, but I think the iced already has cream and sugar added to it so you can't get it plain.

Not true. Iced Coffee is just coffee brewed with ice put into it. No cream and sugar added at all. If you want iced coffee black, just ask for it that way, otherwise, they will put cream or milk and sugar in it.

And McDonald's DOES have unsweetened iced tea by the way.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can totally blame McD for this. I read a statistic recently that after they started offering apples as an alternative to fries in the Happy Meal only 10% of parents chose that option. McD is a for profit company, it seems pretty clear what most of their paying customers want to feed their kids.

Nuggets alone does not a meal make.. :p
    the fruit as well as the meal is a great option and hope this takes off in the UK. Although we don't visit McD much.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    It's McDonald's, guys. It's a (sort of) yummy trash food treat to have every once and a while. Expecting them to provide fresh fruit for you or your kids is nutty.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    This thread is making me so hungry for some fries, a mcdouble and a coke. Or, my personal favorite, a flamethrower from dairy queen.
    woiwpotuiewrituretoiejgkl;jnkljglkamjawfajskaj;,.nc,m.bn.cbn
    a;lkjask;ldfjz;ldskaja;skdljfadsk;lfjasldasj;asjasjasdlkasj;askdfja;slkajsf.

That was my frustration. Whew.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has their Fresco line of Tacos, which is a lot less calories then a burger. You can get their Fresco soft chicken Taco for 150 Calories. Two of them and I am satisfied with my fast food fix:-) Only wish they carried unsweet ice tea. One of the few places that doesn't.

Wow, again I am very fortunate. My local Taco Bell's all carry fresh brewed unsweetened tea.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be that much more for restaurants to offer baby carrots or even celery sticks as an option. I buy 1 pound bags of baby carrots for 99 cents. They are not that expensive. The problem I have with my kids IF we decide to grab McD's...which we haven't allowed them to eat there in at least 4 months, is they absolutely HATE the preservative that the apples are treated with to keep them from turning brown. It makes the apples taste very bitter. They will choose apples over fries but then they end up telling me the apples taste funny and they don't eat them.

But, like many others said, we don't usually got to a fast food place looking for healthy food. We don't really do fast food much at all.
    I would rather run through a grocery store and get a salad from teh salad bar then go through a drive through. Even Subway is depressing as a quick meal option while on the go! I try to plan ahead as much as I can and we make our lunches or I will go hungry until I get home to the "safe " food LOL!

The only thing they add to the apples is ascorbic acid. (Vitamin C). I think it's more about the types of apples they are using than what they add to them....
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Great! Now I'm craving McDonald's... dang it..
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am sort of appalled at how many fast food places don't offer unsweetened iced tea.

Coffee too! I can't believe McDonald's employees would just assume everyone wants a ton of sugar and cream dumped into their coffee. You can get hot coffee black if you ask for it, but I think the iced already has cream and sugar added to it so you can't get it plain.

Not true. Iced Coffee is just coffee brewed with ice put into it. No cream and sugar added at all. If you want iced coffee black, just ask for it that way, otherwise, they will put cream or milk and sugar in it.

I don't think anyone said McDonald's doesn't have unsweetened iced tea. It's Arby's & Taco Bell that are the main ones that don't.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Not true. Iced Coffee is just coffee brewed with ice put into it. No cream and sugar added at all.

At Starbucks, yes, but you can't go into a McDonald's expecting it to be that way.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Not true. Iced Coffee is just coffee brewed with ice put into it. No cream and sugar added at all.

At Starbucks, yes, but you can't go into a McDonald's expecting it to be that way.

I don't know about Starbucks, but at Caribou Coffee (Minnesota equivalent to Starbucks) the iced coffees are WAY higher in calories.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    Options

I work at McDonald's. I'm pretty sure I know how the iced coffee is made :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    Options

I don't think anyone said McDonald's doesn't have unsweetened iced tea. It's Arby's & Taco Bell that are the main ones that don't.

I apologize. I thought I had read that the OP said McDonald's doesn't offer unsweetened iced teas.
  • RDalton84
    Options
    I was very annoyed when McDonalds changed their Happy Meals. My kids have always preferred the apples to the fries. If they ever gave us fries by mistake my kids never ate them. So now when we get a happy meal they only get a few apples instead of the 6 or more that came in the old meals. Sometimes if you ask them for JUST apples they will put two bags of apples in the meal...sometimes lol