Alcohol ruining my diet :(

Options

Replies

• ahersh00
    Options
    Anyone else out there have problems with binge drinking? I will drink for a couple days straight and barely eat. Then for like 3 days after I will eat everything and anything, which completely sets me back and ruins my diet and my healthy lifestyle goals, lol... So far I've been lucky and kinda staying around the same 110 lbs. for some reason. But, I NEED to stop this and I know if I do I can actually get on track... Also looking for others in the same boat as me to help support each other.

I am 5"2. and I know I kinda have a problem, was looking for other people who have the same problem so we could support each other as well as have an idea of what the other is going through.

...Are you serious?

I'm not a doctor, I don't diagnose....but, with that being said.... what you're describing is alcoholism. I wouldn't be so worried about a couple pounds... I'd be worried about my liver. See a doctor. And then sign up for AA.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    So what if she is? Does that make wanting to lose more weight and/or be healthier less legitimate for her? And people look different at different weights. So maybe she is 110 and it's all fat. Or maybe she looks like Kate Moss. She doesn't care what people here think of her weight, she cares what she thinks of her weight.

Point taken...doesn't change the fact that the kind of help she's asking for is not what the MFP community is here to do. She's either trolling or desperately needs AA.

Sorry to sound so mean. I just get so frustrated when people tell me I shouldn't be exercising or trying to eat healthy because I'm skinny. Maybe I seem skinny to them, but I don't feel good!

She may be trolling and/or needs AA, but I'd rather just stay positive.

Sweet heart this is not about you. There is a difference in someone telling a 24 yr old girl not to diet or exercise and someone that is binge drinking for days on end and pleaing for help. This has absolutely nothing to do with her weight at all, I really do not care if she is skinny or not, the simple fact of the matter is what is going on with her could kill her, period.

This is NOT normal. People that are not alcoholics do not drink like this.

Trust me, I know................

Sincerely
    Lesa, recovering alcoholic.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Sorry to sound so mean. I just get so frustrated when people tell me I shouldn't be exercising or trying to eat healthy because I'm skinny. Maybe I seem skinny to them, but I don't feel good!

You don't sound mean...but I do have to say that there are extremes and the person above who said losing weight at 110lbs while binge drinking is unhealthy is right.

I don't know your height/weight but I'm guessing you're not 5'2 and 110 lbs. It would be irresponsible of the MFP community to tell someone that its OK to lose weight when they are already that low. That's why I asked the OP if she was wanting to lose weight or just get fit because those are 2 different things. She said both...I can't comfortably tell someone they should proceed with trying to lose weight when they are that low.

I do know what you mean though...Even at my heaviest people always used to say "oh you're not fat"...which is BS and I know it and I get tired of hearing it to...but I was 5'8'' and 225.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So what if she is? Does that make wanting to lose more weight and/or be healthier less legitimate for her? And people look different at different weights. So maybe she is 110 and it's all fat. Or maybe she looks like Kate Moss. She doesn't care what people here think of her weight, she cares what she thinks of her weight.

Point taken...doesn't change the fact that the kind of help she's asking for is not what the MFP community is here to do. She's either trolling or desperately needs AA.

Sweet heart this is not about you. There is a difference in someone telling a 24 yr old girl not to diet or exercise and someone that is binge drinking for days on end and pleaing for help. This has absolutely nothing to do with her weight at all, I really do not care if she is skinny or not, the simple fact of the matter is what is going on with her could kill her, period.

This is NOT normal. People that are not alcoholics do not drink like this.

Trust me, I know................

Sincerely
    Lesa, recovering alcoholic.

Good job with trying to overcome your addiction. I know it can't be easy because alcohol ruins a lot of lives. I hope she tries to take some steps in the right direction.
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    First of all, everyone needs to quit saying that she's 110 so she's skinny already. How do you all feel when you tell people you are watching what you are eating, and they tell you it's silly because you're already skinny? Besides I don't think huge weight loss is her goal or purpose of this post. MFP isn't just for obese people.

Second, to answer your question instead of just calling you an alcoholic, I used to be a big partier. It's easy to just say "stop drinking", but if it's a huge part of your lifestyle, it's not that easy. For me, I had to start neglecting my party friends and started building relationships with people in my life who don't drink as much. It's hard to neglect your friends when they ask you to go out. But for me I realized that my whole relationship with those people was just drinking. We didn't have anything else in common.

You don't have to stop drinking forever. The key is moderation. I drink occasionally and sometimes I do have too many calories because of it, but life goes on.
    thank you so much!!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    First of all, everyone needs to quit saying that she's 110 so she's skinny already. How do you all feel when you tell people you are watching what you are eating, and they tell you it's silly because you're already skinny? Besides I don't think huge weight loss is her goal or purpose of this post. MFP isn't just for obese people.

Second, to answer your question instead of just calling you an alcoholic, I used to be a big partier. It's easy to just say "stop drinking", but if it's a huge part of your lifestyle, it's not that easy. For me, I had to start neglecting my party friends and started building relationships with people in my life who don't drink as much. It's hard to neglect your friends when they ask you to go out. But for me I realized that my whole relationship with those people was just drinking. We didn't have anything else in common.

You don't have to stop drinking forever. The key is moderation. I drink occasionally and sometimes I do have too many calories because of it, but life goes on.
    thank you so much!!!

If you do decide you want help, please feel free to contact me. This is not typical, if you are capable of drinking in moderation, that is good for you. If you find that it is not possible, there are ways to get help, and a life that is better than you could ever imagine.

Good luck.

Lesa
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    edit: whoops just checked your age out. didn't mean to call you young, but I do mean it when I say you sound it.

Try to limit your alcohol intake. You don't need to be the drunkest girl at every party. In fact - aim not to be! Things are more fun when they are in your control anyways. As for your weight, don't listen to people calling you a troll.

You've already been looking at your own weekend behaviour, so that's a good healthy impulse you have there. Go with it. Find other things in your life, because the most interesting people have just that - interests outside of partying it up.

I had to kind of separate from a really close friend of mine because of her partying.. she wanted to go out every day basically, and when I stopped wanting to come along she put a lot of pressure on me. But the thing is, it's in your power. You choose what you want to have in your life! I still go out and enjoy myself, but I just try to be more responsible about it.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Being an alcoholic isn't just a simple matter of stopping.Otherwise there wouldn't be so many alcoholics around, I decided enough was enough, i felt awful and no tests could figure out what was wrong..deep inside I knew it was my eating and drinking habits causing all my troubles. I cannot tell you how much better I feel after over a month of being on this site. I may be too late to reverse the damage done over the years, but If I stick to it,I won't be dead next year from it.
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    thanks to all the helpful comments, and the snide remarks i just ignore and look at it as a waste of time on the rude people's behalfs :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If you get drunk every day your body will stop absorbing the calories. And eventually you will die, but you'll be skinny. And drunk.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you get drunk every day your body will stop absorbing the calories. And eventually you will die, but you'll be skinny. And drunk.

LMFAO
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    thanks to all the helpful comments, and the snide remarks i just ignore and look at it as a waste of time on the rude people's behalfs :)
    ^^

^^^ You're very welcome!! I wish you good health and happiness :flowerforyou:
  • samatalma
    Options
    I'm sure this has been said already, but you need to take care of your drinking problem first and your weight second.
  • ready2beme
    ready2beme Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    8e28d158-7daa-446b-b738-67d29898dc06.gif

If she was legitimate, she wouldn't be sloughing off genuine advice about her blatant alcoholism and LOLing about it.
    hmmmm.... well let me just say that what else am I supposed to do? Cry about it? Sorry but, I have learned that if I take everything to heart, it would just drive me crazy. If I find something is offensive towards me, I WILL brush it off and not let it bother me. Kind of like your "TROLLING PICTURE" I could think of a few other definitions of "troll" so please if you have nothing nice to say, KEEP IT TO YOUR FRIGGING SELF! that is all!!!

You asked what a troll was. So did a few other people. I posted the most descriptive definition I could find. I still say if you legitimately want help, you will take heed of the advice people have given you here to see someone about your 3 day binges before you start worrying about your weight.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Let's see, Friday, Saturday, Sunday-Funday. Not a-typical of the younger crowd. Alcoholic? Maybe.

It's hard to be social and not drink. Just how things are especially if you're single.

So what I do.. pick a weekend night to drink.. Fri. or Sat. Log your drinks.. The other night, do a nice dinner or find a date. Sunday, go to brunch and all that jazz and sip on a Mimosa or drink a water. Trust me, no one is going to really care, especially on Sunday when most are in a state of blah.

Or the other thing I do... and this is more about keeping accountable to yourself.. go workout hard on a Fri, Sat and/or Sunday. You'll find yourself not wanting to drink.. why? Because then all of that sweat you gave earlier is somewhat wasted.
  • think_freee
    Options
    i have the same problem! i have no issue turning down drinks through the week but i am a bartender and the weekends always get me. when everyone around me is partying and having fun and im stuck behind the bar, i just can't seem to say no. i drink so much on the weekends that most fridays and saturdays i have to leave my car and call a ride home. its taken a lot for me to get to the point that i can go out with friends to bars and parties and stay completely sober, but the weekend habit i just cant kick. i LOVE my job and can't give it up so this is just something i need to work through. i feel your pain! we can do it though :smile:
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking.
  • mrst17
    mrst17 Posts: 14
    Options
    I know this thread is over a year old, but I found it though a web surf because I have similar concerns about my own health.

In college, binging was a popular pass time with me and my friends. I'm also in an extra curricular drum corps, which is an adult organization that I love, but on our down time most people in the group like to party. These two circles are my closest friends, and I refuse to give them up. If I did I would have NO friends and would have to sacrifice my favorite pass-time (which is drum corps - not the drinking). Not to mention, alcohol is always readily available at my family functions.

From experience I can tell you that AA sucks. I've tried it. It's depressing. Plus, you have to set the goal that you will never have another drink. That, too, is depressing and unrealistic for me. It just sets me up for failure. It might work for some people, but for me it just made me want to drink more. I need a POSITIVE influence to create real change.

I've moved towards yoga and meditation. Doing yoga really helps me understand my physical needs. In meditation, I concentrate on attracting whatever it is that I need at the time into my life - sometimes that's money, sometimes becoming more fit, sometimes building lean muscle, and often it's gaining control over the drink. If you try this be sure only to use positive statements. You want to "gain control", not "quit drinking". You want to "build lean muscle" or "get fit", not "loose weight". Sounds a little crazy but this makes a huge difference in your subconscious mind. If you focus on "loosing weight", your subconscious feels like you're loosing something which is a bad thing and it will reject your efforts. Same thing with "quitting drinking". The way this is phrased sounds like a sacrifice, not a benefit.

I still struggle with alcohol a lot. But what I can say - I have gained more control over it. When I meditate on it, I find it easy to give up for a week or so - but this takes a time commitment, focus, and determination. When I do drink, I do my best to limit the number of drinks I have - sometimes I do have only one, but other times that one turns into 4 or 5. I know how you feel - it seems impossible. I still have a drink almost every night, but my binge sessions are now very few and far between rather than a weekly or twice a week affair.

I did an experiment earlier this year. I wanted to see how much weight I would loose in 4 weeks if I gave up alcohol entirely. I lost 7 pounds with that change alone, so yes, it does make a big difference. But that hasn't been enough motivation for me to quit entirely.

I also know that the "keep it to 1-2 drinks per day" is likely not advice that means anything to you. If you're anything like me, you're probably not drinking to relax - you're probably drinking to go wild, or to forget - and 1-2 drinks won't give you any kind of buzz with the tolerance you've likely built up. But to me, as I approach my 30's, I find that a relaxing evening *usually* sounds better than a crazy party - so the mentality of drinking to relax rather than party can help with my moderation goal at this stage in life.

For all the nay say-ers that think this is not a legit concern, or not appropriate for this forum, I disagree. MANY people struggle with this, even if they are serious about getting fit and healthy - and your comments might just discourage someone in this situation to even consider a healthier lifestyle. Criticizing this or brushing it off is bad karma, and really wastes the time of people who are trying to get something useful out of this thread.

I hope someone finds something useful in this post, and if anyone else has trouble with this please friend me so we can encourage each other.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    I know this thread is over a year old, but I found it though a web surf because I have similar concerns about my own health.

In college, binging was a popular pass time with me and my friends. I'm also in an extra curricular drum corps, which is an adult organization that I love, but on our down time most people in the group like to party. These two circles are my closest friends, and I refuse to give them up. If I did I would have NO friends and would have to sacrifice my favorite pass-time (which is drum corps - not the drinking). Not to mention, alcohol is always readily available at my family functions.

From experience I can tell you that AA sucks. I've tried it. It's depressing. Plus, you have to set the goal that you will never have another drink. That, too, is depressing and unrealistic for me. It just sets me up for failure. It might work for some people, but for me it just made me want to drink more. I need a POSITIVE influence to create real change.

I've moved towards yoga and meditation. Doing yoga really helps me understand my physical needs. In meditation, I concentrate on attracting whatever it is that I need at the time into my life - sometimes that's money, sometimes becoming more fit, sometimes building lean muscle, and often it's gaining control over the drink. If you try this be sure only to use positive statements. You want to "gain control", not "quit drinking". You want to "build lean muscle" or "get fit", not "loose weight". Sounds a little crazy but this makes a huge difference in your subconscious mind. If you focus on "loosing weight", your subconscious feels like you're loosing something which is a bad thing and it will reject your efforts. Same thing with "quitting drinking". The way this is phrased sounds like a sacrifice, not a benefit.

I still struggle with alcohol a lot. But what I can say - I have gained more control over it. When I meditate on it, I find it easy to give up for a week or so - but this takes a time commitment, focus, and determination. When I do drink, I do my best to limit the number of drinks I have - sometimes I do have only one, but other times that one turns into 4 or 5. I know how you feel - it seems impossible. I still have a drink almost every night, but my binge sessions are now very few and far between rather than a weekly or twice a week affair.

I did an experiment earlier this year. I wanted to see how much weight I would loose in 4 weeks if I gave up alcohol entirely. I lost 7 pounds with that change alone, so yes, it does make a big difference. But that hasn't been enough motivation for me to quit entirely.

I also know that the "keep it to 1-2 drinks per day" is likely not advice that means anything to you. If you're anything like me, you're probably not drinking to relax - you're probably drinking to go wild, or to forget - and 1-2 drinks won't give you any kind of buzz with the tolerance you've likely built up. But to me, as I approach my 30's, I find that a relaxing evening *usually* sounds better than a crazy party - so the mentality of drinking to relax rather than party can help with my moderation goal at this stage in life.

For all the nay say-ers that think this is not a legit concern, or not appropriate for this forum, I disagree. MANY people struggle with this, even if they are serious about getting fit and healthy - and your comments might just discourage someone in this situation to even consider a healthier lifestyle. Criticizing this or brushing it off is bad karma, and really wastes the time of people who are trying to get something useful out of this thread.

I hope someone finds something useful in this post, and if anyone else has trouble with this please friend me so we can encourage each other.

I really can not believe this, oh wait, yes I can.

To those of you out there that are considering AA, I promise you it does not suck nor is it depressing. You will hear as much laughter coming from the rooms of AA as the bar, the difference is the drunks in AA are sober.

An alcoholic can not control their drinking, period. No matter how much meditation or yoga they do.

Please keep your future opinions to yourself as crap like this is what kills people.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Alcohol doesn't make you fat if you stick to your calorie limit..it's the food you eat when you are drunk