Steak....bad?

I have been counting cals and fancied steak for tea, so had some, yummy....I was within my cals for the day , why is steak considered so bad.......

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    It's considered bad because contains a more saturated fats and cholesterol than white meat or fish, and saturated fat and cholesterol have been the big bad boogeymen of the health industry for the past few decades.

BUT, it isn't processed or refined, it's mostly protein, and there are no carbs and sugar (which are becoming the new big bad boogeymen of the health industry) so I think most people here would agree that in moderation, a good old piece of steak isn't a bad thing.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    My husband and I LOVE a good steak. We usually just have a big salad with it. I never gain when we have it.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    I agree with CG. The thing to note with a good steak is portion size. A true serving size with meat is supposed to be 3-4 ounces. That's about the size of a deck of cards. If yours is bigger, then log it at real size. If you're not sure, weigh it.

I find that a nice 4oz steak is just the thing sometimes and it doesn't do a thing in the world to hurt my health. I don't eat it every day or even every week, but I love it when I do!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 856 Member
    i eat steak once a week or so. yum!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a nice, lean, piece of steak, as long as you eat in proper portions.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    We've moved away from fat-bad, low-fat-good diet recommendations but saturated fat is still widely considered to be bad for your heart and red meat has a lot of saturated fat. It also has a lot of good stuff too though so I find it hard to consider it something you should never eat. Who knows...it's hard to keep up with the recommendations.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Steak is fabulous tasting, but let's be honest.
    It's just not 100% healthy.
    So, what to do?
    My choice is to have the steak one time weekly.

I need those foods or else it's just not worth the effort.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    I don't think having a steak once in a while is a bad thing :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Bad? :cry:
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    As long as it is a lean steak, you are good to go!! A diet plan I follow that is for fitness models suggests eating lean sirloin once a week.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a nice, lean, piece of steak, as long as you eat in proper portions.

Nothing wrong with a fatty cut either
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,138 Member
    People have been brainwashed to believe steak (meat)is bad, but you can't blame them, that's all they've heard all their lives.
  • Just don't deep fry it!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    People have been brainwashed to believe steak (meat)is bad, but you can't blame them, that's all they've heard all their lives.
    yup
  • Thanks, I will stop beating myself up....and enjoy the thought that once in a while I can have a great steak as long as I am logging its true weight, off to do level 2 of the shred, wish me luck"..........
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Cue the "How can you kill an animal?!" crowd (well, one or two annoying vegan Bible-thumping diehards) in 3, 2...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    what? steak is bad? I think it gets a bad rap when someone is a "meat and potatoes" person who literally eats red meat almost every day. we probably only have beef once every 2 to 3 weeks. Enjoy it.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    yup

I sort of do blame them though. They can read, can't they?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Steak.....awesome!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Steak... good!

in small-medium amounts