i'l eat what i want and NOT FEEL GUILTY

Options

Replies

• Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    realllly grinds my gears when other people who are not on a diet look shocked and exclaim "but your on a diet you cant eat that"

eh... yes i can. you can watch me if you want.

people need to understand and grasp that a "diet" is not restrictive. i do not eat lettuce constantly.

i will still go out for dinner and get dessert if i want, i will still go on nights out and do shots of tequilla through my eye if i want.
    there is nothing stopping me.

i take into account what i want to eat, i write it down and log it. i might have a dominos pizza tonight but tomorrow i will have chicken breast and veg and make up the calories n work ma butt off in the gym.

so yes. i am on a diet. yes i am going to still eat mcdonalds. and chocolate and ice cream. and i will enjoy it. i refuse to give up the things i like.

and the best part....I WILL STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

rant over. :)

This is exactly what I said to a friend yesterday, she chooses to put herself on a very strict diet for 2-3 months...drop the weight quickly only to gain it all back again. EVERYTHING in moderation I say :drinker:
  • catmom2cj
    catmom2cj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have not completely given up any one food or type of food and I've lost 33 pounds. Yes I still eat out, even McDonald's. I track it and account for it. I really think this is the reason I have been able to stick to it - unlike all the other times I've tried to lose weight. I'm not a fruits and veggie kind of person. Do I like them, yes. Do I want to eat them everyday, no. I have a husband and kids, I still eat the same things they do, just less of them. It works for me and that's what matters. Thankfully I don't have too many negative people in my life. Just keep doing your thing and losing weight!
  • Blodnie
    Options
    Seems like a healthy balanced mind if you ask me, a lot of us have a long, long journey and a lot of weight to lsoe, so going on the deprivation route can only fail, practically all my previous weight losses have been because I cut out all the food I enjoy. Then I lost weight. Then I ate it all again. Back came the weight. People are constantly telling us this is not a temporary thing, this is a life change, so I am changing what I eat by moderating portions and how many times I eat it, rather than make it non existant. And I am bringing in things like fruit.

I have the opposite problem at home though - my partner is a feeder - and loves nothing better than to buy me chocolate, bake me cakes etc etc, so I have to battle that as well as my own craving!

Totally agree!! I've always done the same; deprived myself, lost weight.. couldn't take the deprivation any more so I cracked and gave up. But not this time. You're right; it's about a life style change. I'm taking it slow and easy; eating healthier most of the time but not denying myself anything if i "realy" want it. My hubby doesn't necessary feed me, but he likes to see me happy and knows that a good pepperoni pizza will put a smile on my face everytime, or ordering out so I don't have to cook. One step at a time is my motto this time; I'm in it for the long haul.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Here's what I love.
    I eat more than those who are NOT dieting - :laugh:

And people see me mostly eating on "free day" where I totally blow it out with McD, Pizza, chinese food, ect....and I eat more than 3 people combined. For breakfast I order 2 specials, eating the both - LOVE IT!

And the best part is the fallen countenance of those I am with.
    They just don't get it just like many here do not get it.

You can train your metabolism!

This is part of the reason I am so against the crash diet.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    AMEN!

I am making a new LIFEstyle for my self, I am not on a diet! And I am pretty sure life has room for food that does not look like the plant sitting on my window sill....

I can and do eat what I want within reason. I know I might have to excercise a bit more if I over indulge BUT I can tell you, IF I want chocolate I'm gonna eat it same goes for any other "junk" food. Honestly my down fall is mac and cheese and baked goods I can't see life not having room for either so I enjoy them in moderation.

Deprivation is more often than not the root of failed "diets". So you won't catch me depriving myself. Tomorrow night I am hitting the bar with my sister, her man, my fiancee and another couple and damned right I'm gonna drink!

I say: Enjoy life, and love yourself enough to trust yourself! You have all the tools to make a happy healthy lifestyle for yourself! :)
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and have been very successful. I have some look at me and judge me saying "are you really gonna eat that?" I reply "Yes, I lost 53 pounds. Where are you at? Beginning line."
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    realllly grinds my gears when other people who are not on a diet look shocked and exclaim "but your on a diet you cant eat that"

eh... yes i can. you can watch me if you want.

Ha! I ate out 3 times last week (a bar, fast food, & a deli) and had drinks twice...AND I still lost weight. It wasn't a big loss, but the scale did go down.

If you're not "dieting" then you don't get it.
  • star87cc
    Options
    Bah I wish this was the case! I have the opposite! My In-laws ... They seem to think 'oh poor you, you must be starving not being able to eat anything on a diet' whereas no matter how much I explain that I can eat what I want (within reason, always make healthy choices) but im REALLY NOT MISSING OUT!

They dont grasp the concept!

Like last sunday we had a big roast dinner and after they say "have a day off from counting, your allowed, you've done so well, have some more" (i'd been to the gym in anticipation)

I went for a meal with my fiance this sunday (workout in the morning, less deficit, I could have what I wanted 'within reason' from the menu! 3 courses and a glass of wine!) So later they were asking what we had oooing and aahing over how tasty it all sounded and the predictable line "well yeah have a day off from counting, your allowed, you've done so well"

NO this was ALL allowed! I'm not HAVING A DAY OFF! Its all about MODERATION! I'm NOT denying myself!

Rant over lol!
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I have had a struggle with weight loss my whole life. I've tried every fad diet, pills, etc. and NOTHING stuck. The past 2.5 years I've been exercising, watching what I eat, but I still indulge. It has been the ONLY thing that has worked. I understand the consequences of indulging, but I'm realistic! It's truly about awareness and expectations.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My favorite (snotty) response is, "If you're writing a book, leave my chapter out of it." Honestly, that is a boundaries issue. I get to pay attention to me, others get to pay attention to themselves.

I love this. You are absolutely right. It is a boundary issue. Like when people get judgmental about someone else's food diary. We are not our brother's keeper....
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Them:
    "but your on a diet you cant eat that"

Me: "Wow, that was kind of rude. When did you get to decide what I can eat."
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    moderation is essential to successful weight loss :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Technically, we're all on a diet -- some of us are on restrictive diets, some of us are on gluttonous diets, some of us are on vegan/paleo/low carb diets.

Instead of calling what you're doing a diet (which will illicit responses from people about your food choices, regardless of how rude that is), why not just talk about what you're doing as a healthy lifestyle? I plan to eat this way forever (and I also eat what I want with relation to my caloric needs), but there's no way in hell I'd say I'm on a diet. This is just the way I eat now, thanks.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Definitely obnoxious that other people are telling you what to eat ??? Am I the only one that this doesn't happen to?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Technically, we're all on a diet -- some of us are on restrictive diets, some of us are on gluttonous diets, some of us are on vegan/paleo/low carb diets.

Instead of calling what you're doing a diet (which will illicit responses from people about your food choices, regardless of how rude that is), why not just talk about what you're doing as a healthy lifestyle? I plan to eat this way forever (and I also eat what I want with relation to my caloric needs), but there's no way in hell I'd say I'm on a diet. This is just the way I eat now, thanks.

Maybe that's why this doesn't happen to me. I never say I'm on a "diet"
  • Hermia76
    Options
    I have heard the saying "Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog".

It made me laugh. Seems that's what they are thinking you should do. Ha Ha.

Keep doing what you are doing.

[This was meant to be a reply to Star87cc's comment......I'm hopeless with technology!!]
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We are trying to lose weight but we also need to live a little, sometimes that involves naughty foods. It's process, if you beat yourself up over a piece of cake then you are backtracking. At least that's my philosophy, I eat healthy but sometimes life calls for pie.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What your doing though wont be healthy. 1200calories of fruit and veg or 1200calories on mcdonalds. Decide what's best yourself. If your on a diet you obviously want your body in good shape.

It's more about a mindset. there are a lot of us who have been on "diets" for the majority of our lives. simply cutting out foods that we love is not a long-term solution. the long-term solution is for us to meet food head-on and make informed decisions.
  • pcousins13Patricia
    Options
    I SO agree with you!!! I have people (jealous people, I think!) that say "You're on a diet? I'm not going on one....I'm going to eat what want, when I want!" Then I say..."ummm....I do to!" I just don't eat the whole pack of cookies...I have just a couple...or I don't eat the whole package of wings...just a few! I'm may be watching my weight a little more....but I'm not dead!
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I try to stay away from the pleasure foods as much as possible. I figure I worked too hard in the gym or cardio to ruin it. I would rather eat right to begin with than to have to work extra hard the next day.