Options

Replies

• Leesseebee
    Options
    Yes.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've never been great with breakfast (or mornings) I asked a doctor once and he said it wasn't really necessary, and that if you've gone a lifetime not having breakfast you are only adding more calories. Saying that I try to have some fruit or an egg.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    When meeting with a dietician/nutritionist last summer, to begin SOMETHING in my life regarding my weight, we talked about meals............she asked if I ate breakfast, and I said that I generally don't. I DO drink a big glass of water with metamucil and a bit of juice, and I do take some supplements.......but I don't actually each anything until 9 or 10:00 a.m., when I"m at work.

She was very satisfied with that answer, and it's worked well for me for a long time! I like breakfast, I just am NOT a morning person, and don't give myself time to make that happen. We all have body clocks as well, that influence a lot of how we operate during the day. Given the chance, I would stay up until after midnight every night, and "morning" would begin around 9 or 10:00............but I have a job that forces me to get up around 6 a.m., and so cannot work with my 'body clock' the way I'd like to.

We're all different.....and it's a GOOD thing! :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've never been great with breakfast (or mornings) I asked a doctor once and he said it wasn't really necessary, and that if you've gone a lifetime not having breakfast you are only adding more calories. Saying that I try to have some fruit or an egg.

I think I need to have something to eat prior to hitting the weights in the morning.

I have to force myself to eat in the morning. I did the whey protein in the morning for a while and I have to admit, I did feel "clearer", but my trainer told me that it needs to be carbs not protein.

Yet another point of confusion.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not necessary as increased meal frequency does not offer a metabolic advantage. Breakfast and # of meals per day is a personal preference

So I can eat once a day? lol

Yes. You could eat your entire day's calories right before bed if you so wish, as long as you don't create a calorie excess.

This would lead to low blood sugar, which is not healthy.

Only if you're diabetic. Believe it or not, the human body is perfectly capable of regulating your blood sugar without you having to eat constantly. Glucagon's main responsibility is to keep blood sugar stable, and kick start fat conversion from triglycerides to glucose in order to raise and maintain blood sugar during periods of fasting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure no one on here is qualified to answer that....
    Why, you need a degree to cite peer reviewed research, or what?

How many studies have 100% of the participants see the same results, though? Peer reviewed research is good for determining rules for the general public or a target group (depending on the study's scope), but on an individual level they don't always mean much.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Not necessary as increased meal frequency does not offer a metabolic advantage. Breakfast and # of meals per day is a personal preference

So I can eat once a day? lol

Yup.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Yes, if your goal is to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle. I too used to avoid breakfast and became a convert in the past year. Loading up on calories early in the morning can help increase metabolism as well as give you the energy to perform your exercises/workouts.

Ah, but what if you workout at night?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

How many studies have 100% of the participants see the same results, though? Peer reviewed research is good for determining rules for the general public or a target group (depending on the study's scope), but on an individual level they don't always mean much.
    Don't worry, I know you're not a fan of fancy things like research and science.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts: 1) it's good to get the metabolism fire burning, or 2) if you're not hungry, don't eat (primal).

So the answer is NO or personal preference, as mentioned above.

THIS ^

I can't force myself to eat breakfast or anything until I've been awake for at least a few hours, literally makes me sick...however, I do have coffee with protein powder to restart my engine for the day! Do what works for you!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I think I need to have something to eat prior to hitting the weights in the morning.

I have to force myself to eat in the morning. I did the whey protein in the morning for a while and I have to admit, I did feel "clearer", but my trainer told me that it needs to be carbs not protein.

Yet another point of confusion.

I think it works differently for everyone, I can have a piece of fruit or an egg and exercise for a few hours drinking just water before I feel hungry, and I'm a big girl. But I do find once I eat something I'll get hungrier quicker but I could easily skip food all day - I don't but I have done in the past when I've been super busy at work. I suppose if you are lifting heavy weights you would want to avoid any risk of feeling faint.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I searched Google Scholar for meal timing, but didn't find much at first glance.

However, I found one study where rats were either fed immediately after resistance exercise or 4 hours later, and the rats fed immediately after exercise had more lean tissue mass and less adipose tissue mass.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Don't worry, I know you're not a fan of fancy things like research and science.

Not that it in any way changes the truth of my statement, but I am actually a huge fan of research.
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    It seems as though there are two different conversations going on in this thread: physiological and psychological.

People seem to be confusing things that, for them, are psychologically effective as scientific fact.

It may be true that eating small meals throughout the day helps you stay on course with your calorie needs. It also may be true that you've found eating late at night reduces your ability to effectively manage caloric intake.

Neither action is the reason you're losing or not losing weight. That reason is: calories in vs. calories out.

Those are psychological methods that can help a person alter their current behavior.

Meal timing as an important role in body composition, is a myth. Meal timing, in that you eat your meals at some time during the day, is true. But the # of meals you eat and at what time(s) you eat them plays no direct role in body composition. In reality, whatever is more convenient/allows you to feel and perform/rest your best is going to be most optimal in the long run.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I searched Google Scholar for meal timing, but didn't find much at first glance.

However, I found one study where rats were either fed immediately after resistance exercise or 4 hours later, and the rats fed immediately after exercise had more lean tissue mass and less adipose tissue mass.

Thanks! A voice of reason. Thanks for looking that up!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Thanks! A voice of reason. Thanks for looking that up!
    Keep in mind that humans <> rats.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast. Great for your metabolism.
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I personally find that eating in the AM helps me stay focused, my stomach is not yelling at me until Lunch...but its up to you...
    Eat or not to eat..that is your question? hahahaha
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's necessary. It's hard for me to remember to eat in the morning, and even when I do I often find that I have no appetite, or that it's literally a struggle to finish something. So, as of today, not gonna worry about it any more. Had lunch a little earlier and added a few extra crackers, but otherwise it's a normal day, and I didn't have to think about it this morning.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It seems as though there are two different conversations going on in this thread: physiological and psychological.

People seem to be confusing things that, for them, are psychologically effective as scientific fact.

It may be true that eating small meals throughout the day helps you stay on course with your calorie needs. It also may be true that you've found eating late at night reduces your ability to effectively manage caloric intake.

Neither action is the reason you're losing or not losing weight. That reason is: calories in vs. calories out.

Those are psychological methods that can help a person alter their current behavior.

Meal timing as an important role in body composition, is a myth. Meal timing, in that you eat your meals at some time during the day, is true. But the # of meals you eat and at what time(s) you eat them plays no direct role in body composition. In reality, whatever is more convenient/allows you to feel and perform/rest your best is going to be most optimal in the long run.

Or the problem could be people incorrectly assuming that the physiological needs of everyone are the same.