Not loosing very quick - how many cals?

Options
13»

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You're complaining about losing 6 pounds in a month? Would you rather have gained 6 pounds? This isn't the Biggest Loser, you aren't going to lose 80 pounds in 3 months. Keep doing what you're doing and it will keep coming off.
  • larsanna
    Options
    I have noticed fast food makes me bloat. I drink water with lemon slices in it and it helps get rid of that water retension.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You're complaining about losing 6 pounds in a month? Would you rather have gained 6 pounds? This isn't the Biggest Loser, you aren't going to lose 80 pounds in 3 months. Keep doing what you're doing and it will keep coming off.

Someone else complained about "only" losing eight. :noway:
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As I always say...slow and steady wins the race!!! In my struggles, I've looked for the quick weight loss. I've tried probably every diet out there. Sure, I lost the weight quickly with all the gimmicks, but gained it back PLUS some just as fast! It wasn't until I went with a steady exercise routine and healthy eating...losing sometimes only a half a pound a week, that the weight finally came off and has stayed off!
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is in reply to the person who said you should not eat below your BMR. While that may work well for you, this is concrete information available from any reputable website (I happened to use Mayo Clinic and WebMD for the details but I haven't found a site yet that says differently) and should be taken into consideration when determining how many calories you need to consume. Everyone is different and adjustments are often necessary, but this information applies to the VAST majority of us.

First of all, for those who don't already know, it stands for Basal Metabolic Rate. It is the number of calories required to run your body. Any weight loss will ONLY occur below your BMR. If you are eating above your BMR, you will not lose weight. Now, mind you, the BMR calculator is only a guess. If you have a slow metabolism, you do not use as many calories to function, so you will find your progress slower than average. If you have a fast metabolism, you will enjoy more progress. That much most people know.

Ok, so your BMR is the number of calories your body uses to function if you expend zero calories (lay on the sofa all day). To determine the number of calories you are actually using in a normal day (not laying on the sofa), you need to determine your activity level (sedentary, lightly active, very active, etc.) That shows how many MORE calories you need in a day to 1. run your body and 2. perform your daily functions. Once you know this, you can then SUBTRACT for your weight loss.

This information is from BOTH WebMD and the Mayo Clinic. It is the forumula used to show your daily caloric NEEDS based on your BMR and activity level.
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (easy exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): BMR x 1.725
    If you are extremely active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job): BMR x 1.9

My BMR is 2000. My activity level is "lightly active" because I go to the gym 3x a week. So my daily caloric needs are about 2750 (2000 x 1.375). So, in order for me to achieve weight LOSS (using my fat as fuel instead of caloric INTAKE) I must reduce my caloric intake. I can't eat 2750 and lose weight.

Most of us use a calculator (like the on in MFP) to determine how much to knock off to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. But its a fairly simple formula. It's takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to burn 1 lb of fat. So take your daily caloric needs (2,750 for me) and multiply that by 7 (19,250). That's your weekly caloric needs. Reduce that number by either 3,500 calories for 1 lb a week of weight loss, or 7,000 for 2 lbs a week of weight loss (12,250). Then divide that number by 7 to get the number of calories needed per day to lose weight at the rate you chose (1750).

So to recap, my BMR is 2000, but my target calories per day to lose weight is 1750.

Now, your BMR will be different, of course, because it is based on current weight and age, which is different for everyone. So you can either use the MFP calculator in the Settings tab to do the work for you, or you can go to one of several BMR calculators on the internet to get your actual BMR, then go from there.

I realize this may be confusing, but mostly I just wanted to put this out there because of the gal who said you should never eat less than your BMR. In reality, you should not be eating MORE than your BMR if you want to lose weight. Simply put, you want your body to go to your fat stores to fuel your body, so you must take in LESS calories than your body needs to function. That is the basic idea behind dieting. In fact, if you eat above you BMR, you MUST expend those extra calories or it will result in a weight GAIN.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm new to MFP (doing it with a friend) and I haven't lost much yet, but this isn't my first trip on the dieting pony. Unfortunately knowing how it works doesn't help when I'm faced with a chocolate cupcake :) I wish you the best of luck Picabo!

You have it partially right. There is BMR (which you described correctly) and then there is total daily energy expended (TDEE) which is actually the number of calories you burn throughout a normal course of the day. So my BMR is 2080. I have a sedentary job, so my TDEE multiplier is 1.2 based on Katch McArdle. I workout 6 days a week and burn 700 calories per session. So my TDEE is:

2080*1.2+700 = 3196

Now, there are several ways you can do a deficit. You can do the standard number based on the parameters below. Or you can do based on body fat percentage. So a person with 20% body fat, would use a 20% deficit, a person with 10% would take a 10% body fat... etc...

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

For me, I have 12% body fat so I use about a 10% deficit.

3196 * .9 = 2876

This means, that I would eat around 2876 calories to lose weight. I eat 3000 calories in a day. I am losing inches, body fat and weight while maintaining lean body mass (the controller for your metabolic rate) based on body fat readings (with body calipers). So this alone disproves your analysis/theory that you can't lose weight while eating above. Now if you said, you can't lose weight by eating above your TDEE, i would agree. Maybe you confused it, maybe you did. Either way.....

Also, lets look at this from a logical standpoint. You just stated BMR is "It is the number of calories required to run your body", then why would you eat below the calories for your body to function?

Also, below are some good links (even with some of the information you were referring to) that explains the difference between the two.

:drinker:

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

To answer your first question "why would you eat below the calories for your body to function?" ... the reason is the principle of dieting itself. If you consume less than you use, the rest is obtained through the conversion of body fat into fuel. You're making up the difference through burning fat.

As far as TDEE goes, I did include that but I didn't use that term. I am lightly active, so I used myself as an example, but I listed all of the multipliers for it. But you are right, if you have very little body fat to start with and/or you exercise considerably, you could definitely eat more than your BMR and still lose weight.

While I was replying to your comment, I was speaking more directly to Picabo who indicated she did not like to exercise and she had more than 50 lbs to lose. In her case, specifically, following your instructions to never consume less than her BMR isn't going to be helpful. I would venture to say that nearly 90% of people in her situation (fairly inactive with a lot to lose) are eating less than their BMR.

But thank you for the links! Any day I can learn something new is a day worth living through :)
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Well hopefully my body will adjust soon. I know 6lbs a month as not bad at all. But I'm greedy and want more! But really, someone who has to loose 50-60lbs SHOULD loose a bit faster than someone who only needs to loose those last 5lbs. Rate of loss should be higher wouldn't it??
    6lbs in a month is awesome! Remember, you're not in the Biggest Loser, you're in real life! Eat well, eat your exercise cals, and drink heaps of water. You can do it :smile: