out of calories = quit eating for the day?

Options

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why i can't eat one brownie, or one cookie, or one chip. Moderation is not my friend, one brownie tells my brain that two is going to be just fine. I envy those that can eat one, I will never be able to, I will eat the entire tray :sad:
  • JustLena75
    Options
    Hit the gym, or do some type of physical activity to make up what you can. Tomorrow is a new day. No one said this was easy!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am really not doing well making changes so far (maybe not truly ready to do this) and today ended up eating way too many brownies instead of lunch -- because they were there-- and I used up pretty up my entire calorie budget for the rest of the day. Should I try not to eat anything at all until tomorrow (it's only 2 pm) or just accept that today is going to be over my limit and try again tomorrow?
    No, just eat very light this evening and resolve not to do anything absurd tomorrow.
    It's a struggle.
    What I do when I blow it is go for an hour walk.
    It may not make up for the calories, but at least I know I have done something.
    Go take a walk!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    yup.....or go workout and eat those calories.

^ mhm
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    If it were me.....I would punish myself by not eating and polishing off a glass (8 oz.) of water every hour till bed. Or I would go work out so I can eat the calories I burned exercising.

I need to know their are consequinces for things and my tummy will figure it out when it begs for more food.

On the other hand, you could go a healthier route like, eat only fruits and veggies the rest of the day.

I would do the same thing. No more food until tomorrow. I really don't think it will affect metabolism to do it just one day.

It won't, and if that works for you, cool :) I know in my own case though I would probably just wind up binge-ing again out of physical hunger combined with a need to "rebel" against my own rules. Luckily I don't have to do that any more though since there is always running!! haah.

OP, you can either: 1) work out to earn back some extra calories), or 2) eat lightly and try to figure out what went wrong today. Is it that you didn't plan well, or were you hoping the brownies would make you feel a certain way in the moment?

Good luck!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I eat on schedule for rest of day but cut back drastically. Like a small salad for dinner.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    No go ahead and eat just make good decision. A good salad is a way to go with grilled chicken and very little dressing. Try taking a walk and earning some calories as well. You can eat a really good dinner for about 300 calories!!! Don't fret tomorrow is another day!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the other posters. Eat a sensible dinner and try to get in some extra exercise and maybe burn some of it off. I know it has to be tough when you have people bringing in temptation all the time. I am lucky! Everyone in my department is either trying to eat healthier or they have to because they are diabetic or something. So everyone here only has healthy food. If I eat bad...I have to go out of my way to do it and it is a conscious choice.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Try to eat well the rest of the day, and work off those brownies...even just a little exercise will shrink your calorie overage and if you do a good workout...you may even burn all of the extra calories...don't give up!!! :smile:
  • lissamok
    Options
    Go take a walk!

^This. If you have the time, go for a walk for as long as you can stand it. You'll be surprised how many calories you can burn with a quick walk around the neighborhood and the endorphins you get from the exercise make you feel better about the blunder you had earlier.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You can't not eat the rest of the day, you'll starve, slow down your metabolism drastically, and your body will not let you lose weight.

nonsense
  • dawnemmett
    dawnemmett Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up!! These things happen.

Eat a healthy dinner, go for a walk and most importantly, be gentle with yourself!!! =)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am really not doing well making changes so far (maybe not truly ready to do this) and today ended up eating way too many brownies instead of lunch -- because they were there-- and I used up pretty up my entire calorie budget for the rest of the day. Should I try not to eat anything at all until tomorrow (it's only 2 pm) or just accept that today is going to be over my limit and try again tomorrow?

I would chalk it up to a lesson learned. Don't starve yourself and go to bed hungry. If you get hungry again, then eat. Do better tomorrow. Notice how food like brownies won't sustain you as long as, say, a hunk of meat.....
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would focus on protein for the rest of the day....a couple of hard boiled eggs or maybe a grilled chicken breast and some fresh veggies. I love steamed broocoli plain and have started to squeeze fresh lemons on salad instead of using salad dressing. Starving yourself for one afternoon wont solve anything.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would eat a normal, sensible dinner. Not just a salad but wheat pasta with veggies and some cheese. Something filling so I would not wake up ravenous hungry the next day.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would eat dinner and get back on tomorrow as well... I too have a massive sweet tooth and have to really work at avoiding the sweets... most of the time (now) I'm successful... but sometimes I just am not.... I prefer to pack a couple of Dove chocolates into my lunch bag... And here is a trick that works for me... Next time you want a brownie or cookie divide it into three parts, scarf the first part and then slowly savor the last two (I do this with the dove chocolates too)... That way you brain has time to register that you are satisfying that craving.
  • cjamael
    Options
    Hi, I would not go without eating, as we should eat at least every 4 hours to keep out metabolism working. So I would suggest trying to stick to vegetables for the rest of the day - a veggie stir fry with lots of greens is pretty low in calories.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to bed hungry. I can't sleep hungry... and if I sleep hungry, I wake up READY TO EAT THE WORLD, KILL MY CHILDREN & SPOUSE, AND DROWN MYSELF IN CHOCOLATE.

Starving yourself tonight won't teach you anything except how much it hurts to be hungry.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You can't not eat the rest of the day, you'll starve, slow down your metabolism drastically, and your body will not let you lose weight. Don't have the "all or nothing" mindset and eat whatever you want the rest of the day, but I would snack very lightly until dinner, and have a light dinner that is mainly vegetables.

I am like you, and an addict for all things sweet. I would highly recommend a motivational diet book to help you...
    We're talking about skipping ONE MEAL. You will NOT "starve", and you will absolutely NOT "slow down your metabolism drastically".

IIWY, I would exercise enough to earn the calories for dinner. If I couldn't do that, I'd skip the meal.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry, and don't tell yourself you're "not ready." Just keep logging and trying to eat right. Participating here should help to motivate you.

Oh, and as mentioned above, do some cardio. You'll feel better, and you'll undo some of the brownie damage.