out of calories = quit eating for the day?

Options

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I am really not doing well making changes so far (maybe not truly ready to do this) and today ended up eating way too many brownies instead of lunch -- because they were there-- and I used up pretty up my entire calorie budget for the rest of the day. Should I try not to eat anything at all until tomorrow (it's only 2 pm) or just accept that today is going to be over my limit and try again tomorrow?

You can just stop eating for the rest of the day.

If you doubt this, just google "Intermittent Fasting".
    You will not starve to death.
    If you're in normal health, without any odd complications\issues, its no problem.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Workout. Earn calories. And eat.
    And tomorrow? Plan your day before you start. It gives you the guidance and the insight you need to make the day awesome.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MonkeyLover1993XxX
    Options
    :flowerforyou: at the end of the day a human needs two thousand calouries a day any defilict in a week is better than none rember the goal here a life style change or a diet?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to bed hungry. I can't sleep hungry... and if I sleep hungry, I wake up READY TO EAT THE WORLD, KILL MY CHILDREN & SPOUSE, AND DROWN MYSELF IN CHOCOLATE.

Starving yourself tonight won't teach you anything except how much it hurts to be hungry.

to every post above like this (not jsut this one person)

1. its NOT starving yourself.

2. doing it will let you CONQUER hunger.. you said so yourself... you are weak. you cant sleep hungry. you think you HAVE to have something to eat.
    thats bull****. you're not starving. you're not hurting yourself.. its all mental, and you havent overcome that yet. thats it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    wow-you ate how many brownies to max out your calories by 2pm? There's your lesson! Not trying to be mean but hopefully you learned something from this
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    (1) forgive yourself
    (2) sometimes you have to be on plan one meal at a time
    (3) exercise, squeeze it in somewhere
    (4) make a sensible dinner high in protein and veggies
    (5) log it and move on

I personally wouldn't go to bed hungry, only because I'd wake up hungry as a bear and sabotage myself from the beginning of the next day.

Sometimes you have to just take it one meal at a time. And stop the negative self-talk. You ARE ready. You had an eating challenge and for that meal you didn't conquer it, but that doesn't mean you won't the next time. Log it so when you find yourself on the other side of your binges (smaller), you can feel a sense of accomplish about how far you've come. For you it's brownies for me it's zingers and vanilla creme sandwich cookies.

Good luck and happy sweating.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    You can't not eat the rest of the day, you'll starve, slow down your metabolism drastically, and your body will not let you lose weight.

OP has had enough calories to sustain body functions. They are not starving. This will not slow their metabolism.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    eat lightly and watch the sweets intake unless you plan to work out!
  • Blossom41290
    Blossom41290 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    exercise the calories away, do some light or medium exercise to get back those calories.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can't not eat the rest of the day, you'll starve, slow down your metabolism drastically, and your body will not let you lose weight.

OP has had enough calories to sustain body functions. They are not starving. This will not slow their metabolism.

^^^ This!!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    First, shoot to meet your nutritional macros (protein, iron, calcium and vitamins) then worry about the calories.

Tomorrow and for a while until you can gauge things better.
    Postpone treats until you after you've gotten most of your nutrition in.
    Turns out it really reduces my appetite and my cravings, so when I do have a treat I'm less likely to go overboard.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat something healthy later. Move on get over it. Tomorrow a new day.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Wow, all this after I had JUST finished reading http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html as posted by another member of this forum....

I have to agree that you will absolutely not hurt your metabolism by not eating for the rest of the day. At the end of it all, it's calories in vs calories out. I personally wouldn't eat the rest of the day, drink tons of water. If I felt uncomfortably hungry I would find something like beef jerky (high protein low carb) to nom on and then only have a little, and drink tons of water on top of it.

Otherwise just log it and move on. Realize you throw your whole day off by doing such things, you have to log it and be accountable, that's the only way you can prevent it from happening again. Next time you're faced with a plate of brownies, "Hmm, do I really want to have to log all those calories and forego dinner?"

God bless and good luck.
  • I would still eat because if it's only 2pm your body is going to need more food. Just think of today as a slip up and try harder tomorrow. Everyone has "bad days" you just gotta forgive yourself, move on and start over the following day. Also, it's not a bad thing to eat whatever you want 1 day a week ... if you haven't exercised then after work do something for 20 minutes and you'll earn back calories :)
  • Cris725
    Options
    I love brownies. You should just eat another one.

Gee, thats so motivational. *SMH*
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think they whole "don't eat, punish yourself" is frankly, a dangerous mindset. I say admit the mistake, eat to feel good with whole grains, some lean protein, and tons of dark/colorful vegetable, and just move on. The whole binge-punish reinforces this idea that food is the enemy and in my opinion, only encourages more binges in the future.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and work out for enough for a sensible dinner. That's what I would do.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    eat but really think about the calorie content before you eat it. Make sure it'll keep you full so I'd probably do a chicken breast and a cup of steamed broccoli...it'll keep you full and that's less than 300 calories.

Plus, you have a deficit. You don't wanna starve that's almost worse than eating a tad bit over calories.

TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY!
  • eyehama
    Options
    The plus side is that if you want to do better tomorrow, it shouldn't be so hard!

I say try for a dinner with half the meat and twice the vegetables. Eat plenty of green beans or broccoli or cauliflower. Or some of each of those!

Also, make a plan. If you want to avoid the brownies tomorrow, what will you do instead? Have an apple, or banana? Maybe strawberries. Or maybe take a walk, and enjoy yourself for a few minutes while other people are eating brownies.

I think skipping dinner as a punishment is a bad idea. Having food be a reward or punishment disrupts our relationship with it. It's supposed to be nourishment. After making this bad decision, your body could use some good nourishment.

I agree with the people who say skip the negative self talk. Take it one day at a time, and make tomorrow better than today.
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I do that I make myself go to the gym and work off the extra calories, then I eat, if I am hungry.