Kerri's top 10 reasons why you're not losing weight

Options
Ok, I'm not a doctor, I'm not even a nurse, all of these are from personal experience and observation. I have read a shocking amount of "I'm so frustrated, I've been here a week [or 3 days, or 2 weeks] and I havn't lost anything!" So I thought instead of replying to all those separate threads I decided to make my own. All you veterans, feel free to add to my list:

1. The number one reason you havn't lost weight is because you havn't given yourself TIME to lose weight. 3 days? (yes people have actually posted this) It is unlikely that you will see any noticeable changes in just 3 days and even if you do- yep, WATER weight. Be patient. If you are doing everything right (and nothing below applies to you) give it a month. Still nothing? Go see your doctor.

2. You're eating too much. No, I don't mean you should start striving for numbers BELOW 1200 cals a day. WHat I really mean is you're not being accurate in what you do eat. "A handful" of grapes does not always equal 1 cup. You should make an effort to weigh and/or measure everything you eat including fruits and vegetables and beverages. Calories add up.

3. You're not exercising. Yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but you are doing your body a major favour by doing it anyway. Increased muscle mass will speed up the rate at which your body burns calories so... more muscle= more fat loss.

4. You're not eating enough. It seems to make sense right- eat very little, lose weight. But it's not. The less you eat, the more difficult it becomes for your body to function properly. This causes what is sometimes called "starvation mode"- but here I'll call it a slowing of the metabolism. Basically your body slows all it's functions to a crawl in order to conserve energy. It really fights to hold onto the fat reserves it's got because, in essence, it is starving. If you eat to little over a long period of time you will develop serious health problems, if you continue the behavious anyway you will, simply put, starve to death. Not eating enough can seriously slow weight loss but what's even worse is what it does to your health so please, eat!

5. You can't put down the salt shaker. Sodium causes water retention, which causes the scale to read higher than what you actually weigh (that's called water weight) eating foods high in sodium is the culprit, and it doesn't HAVE to be salt that you've added. Most foods have sodium in them already, especially pre-packaged foods and sauces so be sure to monitor your sodium. You should be getting no more than 2500mg in a day.

6. You're weighing in at the wrong time. For this one I have 2 valid points- the first is- if you are a woman NEVER under ANY circumstances should you weigh during your time of the month. Most women pack on weight then due to water retention. It's just unfair to weigh yourself then. The second point is- don't weigh yourself after a hearty dinner- your tummy is full of food, and fluids from your day. Weigh instead in the morning after you've used the washroom. It's more accurate and please- once a week only.

7. You're eating the wrong foods. There are a lot of people that seem to have trouble losing weight with Carbs. I am luckily not one of them, but if you are you may look into (and I mean seriously look into, not just "oh ya, I'm gonna stop eating all carbs now") a low-carb lifestyle. There are many users here who can offer you advice on this but please also speak to your doctor about it first.

8. You don't have much to lose. When you only have say 10-15 lbs to lose, it is going to be a very slow process. You're fooling yourself if you think someone of that size can lose 2 lbs a week, or even 1 lb a week in some cases. Make reasonable goals of .5-1 lb a week and you'll have more success. I've said it before and I stand by it- be prepared for it to take a year to reach your goals. It is not unheard of for people to lose just 1 lb a month when they have very little to lose- but progress is still progress.

9. You're weighing inaccurately. Are you weighing with clothes on? Are you using different scales? Is your scale on a hard, flat surface? You should make an effore to weigh either nude or, if you're in a public place, in the same or similar clothes every time you weigh-in. Use the same scale everytime as each will weigh you differently and make sure the scale is flat. Some scales read differently if you so much as bend over, so stand up straight with your arms at your sides. Make certain your scale is accurate, try weighing a 10lb barbell and adjust it so the scale reads exactly 10lbs.

10. And finally, the one everyone loves to turn to- muscle mass. Muscle takes up less room that fat, so if you're gaining muscle the scale may show increases or no change in your weight even if you are losing fat. BUT don't fool yourself, you're not putting on 3 lbs of muscle in a week. If it's been a serious plateau however, and not just a week or two, pull out your handy tape-measurer and see if there are any changes where it really counts.

That is all, thanks for reading :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not a doctor, I'm not even a nurse, all of these are from personal experience and observation. I have read a shocking amount of "I'm so frustrated, I've been here a week [or 3 days, or 2 weeks] and I havn't lost anything!" So I thought instead of replying to all those separate threads I decided to make my own. All you veterans, feel free to add to my list:

1. The number one reason you havn't lost weight is because you havn't given yourself TIME to lose weight. 3 days? (yes people have actually posted this) It is unlikely that you will see any noticeable changes in just 3 days and even if you do- yep, WATER weight. Be patient. If you are doing everything right (and nothing below applies to you) give it a month. Still nothing? Go see your doctor.

2. You're eating too much. No, I don't mean you should start striving for numbers BELOW 1200 cals a day. WHat I really mean is you're not being accurate in what you do eat. "A handful" of grapes does not always equal 1 cup. You should make an effort to weigh and/or measure everything you eat including fruits and vegetables and beverages. Calories add up.

3. You're not exercising. Yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but you are doing your body a major favour by doing it anyway. Increased muscle mass will speed up the rate at which your body burns calories so... more muscle= more fat loss.

4. You're not eating enough. It seems to make sense right- eat very little, lose weight. But it's not. The less you eat, the more difficult it becomes for your body to function properly. This causes what is sometimes called "starvation mode"- but here I'll call it a slowing of the metabolism. Basically your body slows all it's functions to a crawl in order to conserve energy. It really fights to hold onto the fat reserves it's got because, in essence, it is starving. If you eat to little over a long period of time you will develop serious health problems, if you continue the behavious anyway you will, simply put, starve to death. Not eating enough can seriously slow weight loss but what's even worse is what it does to your health so please, eat!

5. You can't put down the salt shaker. Sodium causes water retention, which causes the scale to read higher than what you actually weigh (that's called water weight) eating foods high in sodium is the culprit, and it doesn't HAVE to be salt that you've added. Most foods have sodium in them already, especially pre-packaged foods and sauces so be sure to monitor your sodium. You should be getting no more than 2500mg in a day.

6. You're weighing in at the wrong time. For this one I have 2 valid points- the first is- if you are a woman NEVER under ANY circumstances should you weigh during your time of the month. Most women pack on weight then due to water retention. It's just unfair to weigh yourself then. The second point is- don't weigh yourself after a hearty dinner- your tummy is full of food, and fluids from your day. Weigh instead in the morning after you've used the washroom. It's more accurate and please- once a week only.

7. You're eating the wrong foods. There are a lot of people that seem to have trouble losing weight with Carbs. I am luckily not one of them, but if you are you may look into (and I mean seriously look into, not just "oh ya, I'm gonna stop eating all carbs now") a low-carb lifestyle. There are many users here who can offer you advice on this but please also speak to your doctor about it first.

8. You don't have much to lose. When you only have say 10-15 lbs to lose, it is going to be a very slow process. You're fooling yourself if you think someone of that size can lose 2 lbs a week, or even 1 lb a week in some cases. Make reasonable goals of .5-1 lb a week and you'll have more success. I've said it before and I stand by it- be prepared for it to take a year to reach your goals. It is not unheard of for people to lose just 1 lb a month when they have very little to lose- but progress is still progress.

9. You're weighing inaccurately. Are you weighing with clothes on? Are you using different scales? Is your scale on a hard, flat surface? You should make an effore to weigh either nude or, if you're in a public place, in the same or similar clothes every time you weigh-in. Use the same scale everytime as each will weigh you differently and make sure the scale is flat. Some scales read differently if you so much as bend over, so stand up straight with your arms at your sides. Make certain your scale is accurate, try weighing a 10lb barbell and adjust it so the scale reads exactly 10lbs.

10. And finally, the one everyone loves to turn to- muscle mass. Muscle takes up less room that fat, so if you're gaining muscle the scale may show increases or no change in your weight even if you are losing fat. BUT don't fool yourself, you're not putting on 3 lbs of muscle in a week. If it's been a serious plateau however, and not just a week or two, pull out your handy tape-measurer and see if there are any changes where it really counts.

That is all, thanks for reading :flowerforyou:
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Thanks girl I need to read that. Thank you for all the support yu give to us new comers.:flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    GREAT Post - thanks!!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    bump! :glasses:
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    good post Kerri. I often turn to your posts for sound advice. keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Dear Kerri,

I loved this! Thank you!

Maybe one more to add might be that you really do not need to lose weight to begin with. Maybe some women need to tone up to "feel better" but their actual weight is just fine. I am somewhat concerned when I (occasionally) see a very thin woman in a picture with a weight loss goal of 10 or more pounds.

What are your thoughts on this?
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Extra bump! Great job Kerri! You took the words right outta muh mouth!:happy:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Kerri, you're such a smart girl! I really appreciate your level-headed input to this and all the threads out there. I totally agree with all your points.

I might also add to number 7: eating the wrong foods. This could also include eating junk in place of "real" food. Eating 100 calorie snack packs is not the same as eating 100 calories worth of fruit, veggies, or whole grains. The closer you stay to nature, and the further away from processing, the better. Plus, I usually find, you get more bang for your buck out of these types of foods. You get a larger serving size, and you stay full longer on the more natural foods. You don't have to cut out the treats, but think twice before choosing them over "real" food.
    **This is one of my MAJOR weaknesses**
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kerri! Keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thank you for this!!!
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for all the advice :heart:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Dear Kerri,

I loved this! Thank you!

Maybe one more to add might be that you really do not need to lose weight to begin with. Maybe some women need to tone up to "feel better" but their actual weight is just fine. I am somewhat concerned when I (occasionally) see a very thin woman in a picture with a weight loss goal of 10 or more pounds.

What are your thoughts on this?

I definitely agree with this, although it is hard for us to know if the photo is current. I mean maybe they want to get back to that size by losing weight. I do definitely think this is something people should consider though. It's important to ask yourself WHY you want to lose weight, For many it is health related, which is probably the most valid reason. If you are within your healthy BMI zone it becomes fuzzier- what is too thin, what is right for the individual. It should never ever be someone's goal to be underweight.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Kerri, you're such a smart girl! I really appreciate your level-headed input to this and all the threads out there. I totally agree with all your points.

I might also add to number 7: eating the wrong foods. This could also include eating junk in place of "real" food. Eating 100 calorie snack packs is not the same as eating 100 calories worth of fruit, veggies, or whole grains. The closer you stay to nature, and the further away from processing, the better. Plus, I usually find, you get more bang for your buck out of these types of foods. You get a larger serving size, and you stay full longer on the more natural foods. You don't have to cut out the treats, but think twice before choosing them over "real" food.
    **This is one of my MAJOR weaknesses**

This is very true. Your body needs proper nutrition! But of course, treats every now and again are fine.

PS- I HATE 100 cal pack they bug the heck outta me. You pay like 5$ for 5 teeny packages of barely edible food. Spend the 5$ on 3 lbs of grapes instead- yummier, more nutritious and a lot more food! :flowerforyou:
  • indianagranny
    Options
    AWESOME POST! THANKS KERRI FOR POSTING.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    AWESOME POST! THANKS KERRI FOR POSTING.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great post. This is why I rarely weigh myself. I am all about how I look in my clothes or in my mirror without clothes than how much I weigh. I just weighed myself yesterday in a month and found that I lost 11lbs!! But I didn't need the scale to know that I lost weight. I can fit into jeans I haven't been able to wear in a year! I decided to go by inches and not the scale.

I also wanted to add that you could be packing on the pounds or not losing the weight by not drinking enough water. You should drink a minimum of 8, 8oz glass of water a day or 64oz. I spoke with my chiropractor who told me you should drink 1/2 your body weight in water to lose weight. So if you are 200lbs, you should drink 100oz of water a day. It flushes your system and removes toxins which allow your body to absorb nutrients better and ultimately allows your body to drop those lbs!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: Great post Kerri!! I would also add that stress can slow or halt weight loss - as can certain medications. Please take those things into account and if you are stressed - try some walks, yoga, or whatever will help you relax to lower those chemicals our body releases under stress. If you are on medication that you think may be causing weight gain or an inability to lose weight - check with your doctor to see if there is an alternative. And relax people!! You won't lose it overnight - you didn't gain it overnight either! Sorry - mini rant over now :tongue:
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks so much for this post. Also thanks for putting in the time to get this info out to us. I am new here and I am learning so much. I am so happy to post that I lost 2 lbs my first week. It was a great thing to see that all my hard work is for nothing. Of course I have a long way to go but it helps when people like you are here giving such great advice.

181673.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • butterball70
    butterball70 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since mid Jan. and I have to say the one thing that is working for me is getting to know "MY BODY". I know I'm not going to lose as fast as some and maybe I'll be faster than others but I'm taking the time to learn what works for "me". Like everyone else I'd like to wake up and find that all the weight just dissapeared over night:tongue: but I know that's not going to happen so I'm enjoying the experience of learning to make healthier choices and finding/eliminating the don'ts in my diet. Most of all I read a lot of the posts, that in itself is a learning experience.:glasses:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Very well stated.
    All of it.
    KUDOS!!