Kerri's top 10 reasons why you're not losing weight

Options

Replies

• Adriane007
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate all your advise and from the other experienced members as well. It took me a LONG month of eating too little calories and never seeing the scale budge to realize I needed to eat MORE. I felt shaky, tired, and generally out of it-the funny thing was the caloric intake was the amount had been recommended to me, but they had no idea I was working out hard core 4-5 days a week, leaving my body saying 'what the hell are you doing to me?' What a lesson learned.
    It really is all about finding out about your body-and mine likes to eat more when I am working out so hard.
    You're an inspiration. I also had never thought about the sodium intake and am wondering if I need to be looking at my carbs more and decrease them. Two things I will keep an eye on and with persistance, I will see change.
    Definition of Strength: = Power / Time.
    thanks again!:drinker:
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with #3, lots of people ask me how do you do it, I've lost almost 40 pounds since my last daughter was born May '07, first 25 pounds or so were quick, the rest I need to shed is like you said a slow process and you hit plateau's, but the #1 thing I tell people why it works for me, is regular exercise, not just a walk every day, but exercise that gets your heart rate up, for at least 30 min., 5 days a week, the kind of exercise that while your doing it, you think your going to die, or not make it to the end, but once your done, your like wow I feel great. I've heard lots of people say to me, 'well I don't have time, or I have a bad knee, etc, etc, etc.' That just tells me they don't want the healthy body bad enough. I also agree with the eating just enough, and the right type of foods, its a hard thing to start doing and keep doing, especially if your breaking habits, but the reward in the end, when you can play soccer with your kids, or teach your 4 y/o how to ski, and she loves it, thats the best thing in the world, and thats what keeps me going.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This was a GREAT post Kerri!!! I agree with most of what you said!!
    Kerri, you're such a smart girl! I really appreciate your level-headed input to this and all the threads out there. I totally agree with all your points.

I might also add to number 7: eating the wrong foods. This could also include eating junk in place of "real" food. Eating 100 calorie snack packs is not the same as eating 100 calories worth of fruit, veggies, or whole grains. The closer you stay to nature, and the further away from processing, the better. Plus, I usually find, you get more bang for your buck out of these types of foods. You get a larger serving size, and you stay full longer on the more natural foods. You don't have to cut out the treats, but think twice before choosing them over "real" food.
    **This is one of my MAJOR weaknesses**

I was going to add onto the one about low carb living............It isn't that our bodies have a hard time processing carbs, it is the TYPE of carbs that you are eating that make the huge difference.

As everyone else has mentioned, eating KISS (Keep It Simple Sweetie) is about eating NATURALLY, with WHOLE foods and eating clean...........

As the quoted post I have referenced mentions, I would rather have 100 calories of veggies or some fruit, than a 100 calorie pack of overly processed white flour and sugar.

A low carb lifestyle, DONE PROPERLY, helps those people diagnosed with PCOS, Thyroid issues, diabetes, high blood pressure.................THE THING WITH LOW CARBING IS TO FOCUS ON WHOLE FOODS, NOT PROCESSED ONES............

That is one thing that kills me about South Beach and Atkins Nutritionals. When the plans FIRST became mainstream and popular a few years ago, it was focusing on WHOLE, Natural foods........

Now in the grocery stores and GNC I see a lot of processed ready to drink shakes, frozen meals in the freezer case at the grocery store, etc.............What happened to preparing and cooking fresh veggies with real butter, freshly prepared meats, fresh salad.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Great post. This is why I rarely weigh myself. I am all about how I look in my clothes or in my mirror without clothes than how much I weigh. I just weighed myself yesterday in a month and found that I lost 11lbs!! But I didn't need the scale to know that I lost weight. I can fit into jeans I haven't been able to wear in a year! I decided to go by inches and not the scale.

I also wanted to add that you could be packing on the pounds or not losing the weight by not drinking enough water. You should drink a minimum1/2 your body weight in water to lose weight. So if you are 200lbs, you should drink 100oz of water a day. It flushe of 8, 8oz glass of water a day or 64oz. I spoke with my chiropractor who told me you should drink s your system and removes toxins which allow your body to absorb nutrients better and ultimately allows your body to drop those lbs!!
    I'm confused because I'm currently reading the book 'The Eat-clean diet' and the author quotes a doctor who says one ounce of water for every pound of scale weight? I guess the ultimate goal is to drink enough so that the urine is pale yellow or clear.

I am following Atkins (DANDR, 2002 edition) and it is about eating clean and as organically as possible. I buy organic for foods like tomatos, onions, peppers, grapes, any berries, peaches, plums, apples.......bananas and oranges I don't worry about as much because of the thick skin they already have and we don't eat the skins.......

Anyway, back to topic. Dr Atkins also states int he book that you should drink half of your weight in water each day..................
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Great post. This is why I rarely weigh myself. I am all about how I look in my clothes or in my mirror without clothes than how much I weigh. I just weighed myself yesterday in a month and found that I lost 11lbs!! But I didn't need the scale to know that I lost weight. I can fit into jeans I haven't been able to wear in a year! I decided to go by inches and not the scale.

I also wanted to add that you could be packing on the pounds or not losing the weight by not drinking enough water. You should drink a minimum1/2 your body weight in water to lose weight. So if you are 200lbs, you should drink 100oz of water a day. It flushe of 8, 8oz glass of water a day or 64oz. I spoke with my chiropractor who told me you should drink s your system and removes toxins which allow your body to absorb nutrients better and ultimately allows your body to drop those lbs!!
    I'm confused because I'm currently reading the book 'The Eat-clean diet' and the author quotes a doctor who says one ounce of water for every pound of scale weight? I guess the ultimate goal is to drink enough so that the urine is pale yellow or clear.

Just as a heads up, I have to add this. Healthy urine may be anywhere from very very pale yellow to dark/bright yellow. Generally it is agreed that the paler yellow your urine is, the better hydrated your body is. That said, urine should never be completely clear. If it is, that's a sign that your kidnies are not functioning properly and you should check with your doctor if you are expeciencing clear urine. I drink 8-12 8oz glasses of water a day and have NEVER seen completely clear urine. It's a common misconcepion that properly hydrated urine should be clear.
  • kbeauchesne
    Options
    That was a fantastic post. It's a great reference when you hit a plateau or are just plain frustrated! Thank you!!
  • bellydancer72
    Options
    bump!
  • reedwoman814
    Options
    This is an awesome post. I think I'll print it off, and it put in my weight loss journal. Brilliant, well written, informed, and very well put together. Thanks, Kerri, and congratulations on your weight loss and on your upcoming marriage!
  • reedwoman814
    Options
    Kerri, you're such a smart girl! I really appreciate your level-headed input to this and all the threads out there. I totally agree with all your points.

I might also add to number 7: eating the wrong foods. This could also include eating junk in place of "real" food. Eating 100 calorie snack packs is not the same as eating 100 calories worth of fruit, veggies, or whole grains. The closer you stay to nature, and the further away from processing, the better. Plus, I usually find, you get more bang for your buck out of these types of foods. You get a larger serving size, and you stay full longer on the more natural foods. You don't have to cut out the treats, but think twice before choosing them over "real" food.
    **This is one of my MAJOR weaknesses**

That's an excellent point, too. I hadn't thought of that. I feel at a definite advantage having this information from you all right from the get go!
  • tazfather
    tazfather Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :sad: does anyone can tell me how much calories there are in 1 kg chicken thigh cooked roasted no skin with bone........................ i m getting crazy too much differences . thx
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I believe 1 kg is 2.2 lbs right? a lb has 16 oz in it so 2.2 time 16= 35.2 oz

35.2 oz or roasted thigh meat with no skin has about 1760 calories according to MFP

That said, a serving of chicken is generally 2-4 oz... even if you had a BIG peice it probably was no more than 8-10. Are you sure you weighed right?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    bumparooni
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Hi, Kerri....you still here?
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks Kerri this is an awesome post! <3

*EDIT*
    Just noticed.... HOLY THREAD RESURRECT... hehe :)
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Bump... this is an old post but a good one.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    It's old. But it's a really good one. Don't yell at me. :flowerforyou:
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Well said. :bigsmile:
  • JHMJackson
    JHMJackson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    does water really help. Lost 11 lb in Jan, zero all feb! 1200-1400 cals day, 20 min hill walk for school run, but hate plain water. Are there alternatives? (Eat vertually no processed foods and stick to all other points). -How much does a cup of veg weigh, as do not have american measures (BMI = 31, so plenty to loose!)