The truth about sugar subsitutes

Options

Replies

• PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am not going to ever stop anyone else from having them, but I don't want them in my house or in my body. The problem is you need to remember a million wierd names to even recognize them in food.

There should be a law that every product that contains an articial sweetener should have a big marking, on the front of it, that says "This product contains artifical sweetners."

I don't want to buy something and realize that it contains sucalose or stevia. Obviously I don't want to touch that stuff, but it is in EVERYTHING! it is almost as bad as high fructose corn syrup. This has happened to me one too many times. I buy organic yogurt, thinking it is fine, and then I find that there is stevia in it. It's crazy!

It is really hard to make informed decisions these days.
  • Linkedkube
    Options
    Excellent post. I do not do artificial sweetners at all.

^^ Me either. I wish they would outlaw aspartame all together. I would much rather eat a little bit of real sugar than polute my body with that artificial crap.

Just use honey or pure Maple!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I had a nice long post about the chemistry of it all... And blamo! Gone!

Briefly - Spleda is natural sucrose treated with chlorine. We use chlorine to disinfect, and therefore, it's toxic to living systems. Chlorine gas has been used as a chemical warfare agent. Aspertame does break down to formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen and even brief exposure during a high school dissection could be enough to cause cancer. Do you REALLY want to put these things into your body?
    Did you know that eating fruits creates phenylalanine in your body? The same stuff in aspartame? Do you REALLY want to do that your body? Lol, you do realize that other foods break down into formaldehyde in our bodies too? Scare mongering at it's best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I gave up all sugar substitutes.

My gut feeling was that something was wrong.
    I do not regret this.

And as I pour over all the conflicting notions, I certainly can report that I just feel better.
    Scientific? Nope...

I am a study of one, and the results are in.
    Something about sugar substitutes just ain't quite right.
    Come to the Dark Side.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why would anyone want to ingest chemically modified or created anything? Its a sickening thought for me. 15 calories are not that important to me that I can't use a tsp of REAL nature produced sugar in my coffee instead of a 0 calories plant engineered substitute! Eat real stuff! We don't eat lead paint...lets not eat other bad for us stuff either!
    Lol, so protein powders must be bad for us too...............

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sugar replacements are artificial and nothing but chemicals. Sugar is a natural substance. Regardless of the pros and cons, I don't want to pump my body full of chemicals.
    Newsflash.............everything you ingest is a chemical. Your body works by chemical reaction. If you ate meat it would break down to it's simplest chemical form. So to say you don't to pump your body full of chemicals would mean you CAN'T eat anything.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels would be my trainer of choice....she doesn't believe in artifcial sweetners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just saying ninerbuff. Isn't Whey Protein Natural since it is a product of dairy....you know Curds and Whey.
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Who knows what we are ALL EATING!!!!
    I use Agave Nectar because I personally do not like artificial sweeteners. However, I also do not like the taste of stevia. And its in my new protein powder I just bought. EW!
    Anyways, those artificial sweeteners... They made my child grow a third eye. When I get a hold of that Sweet n Low company... they're gonna get it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you! I know that these are so toxic. My sister-in-law had a brain tumor removed along with the front tempral lobe. She still has seizures and drank aspartame laced drinks and other things that contain it! Its a terrible thing! Its not a safe or healthy alternative. I would rather have real sugar than the artificial stuff any day!
    She cannot drive now due to seizure risk.
    Artificial sweeteners are so NOT worth it!!!
    So are you saying that aspartame is the cause of brain tumors? Really?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You seriously think the sugar you buy at the store is not artificially processed? Raw sugar is brown, not white. Sugar cane is heavily processed to extract the sugar and change it into the white stuff at the store. Natural? Yeah, so is cocaine and heroin....
    Cocaine is a great appetite suppressant and increases metabolism.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kiki41
    Options
    isn't sugar in the raw natural? Or natural raw organic sugar?
  • Jmartinezlinan
    Options
    Getting medical advice at a gym seems one of the inherent dangers of warding off obesity. Everyone
    seems to have a degree in physiology or is a certified personal trainer. Almost everyone is quite the opposite.
    Most are there because they allowed themselves to fall into such disarray physically that life style changes have
    to be done or imminent death is very probable.
    That being said, there are enough questions about artificial sweeteners that I will try to avoid them until some of those questions are cleared up. Sugar is quite natural when taken in moderation. I can meet
    most of my needs from fruit intake (if I can forget about the possible fungicide/arsenic etc poising) . A couple teaspoons
    of brown sugar daily aren't going to affect a fit being (non-diabetic etc) adversely .
    As far as the comments from the same "gym medical staff" that constantly inform me that red meat stays digestive system for 6 months? I'll just buy them a regular Coke!
  • mreko2005
    Options

I'm sure all the drug addicted patients I advised would be glad to use that as an excuse when they need to lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Jillian Michaels would be my trainer of choice....she doesn't believe in artifcial sweetners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just saying ninerbuff. Isn't Whey Protein Natural since it is a product of dairy....you know Curds and Whey.
    Woohoo Jillian Michaels.............snore. Do you know how many people on Biggest Loser actually kept significant weight off? About 20-25 after over 200+ contestants. Why? Because extreme dieting, restriction and abstaining usually results in weight regain. Why do you think so many regain? Not because they are still eating natural...........
    While many admire Jillian Michaels as a celebrity trainer, you do realize she promotes supplements with artificial chemicals in them right? Kinda ironic. Buying into the hype of a celebrity doesn't mean she's always correct. Her stance is that it's okay to use HER weight loss supplements pills.
    As for protein powders, the MAJORITY of them USE ARTIFICAL SWEETNERS in them. Don't believe me, look at the labels. Just sayin'.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    Plus, they can give you really bad gas.
  • mreko2005
    Options

I'm sure all the drug addicted patients I advised would be glad to use that as an excuse when they need to lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There is a thing called sarcasm on the internet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kiki41
    Options
    There is a thing called sarcasm on the internet.

IDEA Fitness member

pfft. haha
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff do you have a medical degree????????????? How many of your clients have kept their weight off??????? Biggest Loser has changed lives whether you like it or not...Millions of people love Jillian and she has changed lives and she promotes NATURAL FOODS....Imagine that eating food in its NATURAL...UNPROCESSED...STATE....WHAT A CONCEPT.
  • kiki41
    Options
    ninerbuff do you have a medical degree????????????? How many of your clients have kept their weight off??????? Biggest Loser has changed lives whether you like it or not...Millions of people love Jillian and she has changed lives and she promotes NATURAL FOODS....Imagine that eating food in its NATURAL...UNPROCESSED...STATE....WHAT A CONCEPT.

the people didn't keep the weight off cause they weren't ready to make fitness and diet a lifestyle change... not because of the trainer. No one should ever go on a "diet" to lose pounds, over time people will learn it takes a change of habits, not just a phase. And I for one, LOVE JM. She is my favorite "celeb" trainer, and the least annoying of them all too. Cheesy at times, but like her anyways. For her workouts. And attitude