Never realized how many Calories...

Options

Replies

• rebelo3
    rebelo3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Applebees Triple Chocolate Meltdown..I think it's like 850 cals!! Holy smokes! I would eat that AFTER having mozarella sticks (9 sticks at 100 cals each).. for a total of 1,750 cals in one sitting. I eat less than that in a day now!!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Molton's chocolate Cake at Chilis. It is an unbelievable 1270 calorie dessert that you eat after consuming an average 1000 calorie dinner.
    Needless to say, we never go to Cili's anymore.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    It is important to remember whether or not the calories you are consuming are "empty" or not.
    Fruits, nuts, avacados...they are not bad foods. Yes, they have high calorie counts but are loaded with a ton of health benefits (vitamins, minerals...all that good stuff).

For me...I second the Cadbury Cremes. SO good and yet SOOOO bad.
  • beautifulme32
    Options
    I just joined this site last fall, but I just started getting serious this past week. So far this week I believe I've been doing well on what I've eaten. But today, I had 2 of those pilsbury ready-to-bake sugar cookies-the valentine's ones. I never realized how much calories and sugar are in them! 2 cookies (1 serving) is 120 calories. Before I got serious about dieting I bet I would eat 6 or 7 at a time. That's roughly 360+ calories. Are there any foods that you used to eat a lot of before you realized how many calories were in them?
    yes Icecream, and potato chips
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Juice, i used to drink a lot of it but then I started realizing how many calories are in there so now I don't drink it at all. I haven't had juice in like 3 weeks. I had some a couple of weeks ago but it was so sweet I couldn't finish it so I just threw it away.
  • beautifulme32
    Options
    I just joined this site last fall, but I just started getting serious this past week. So far this week I believe I've been doing well on what I've eaten. But today, I had 2 of those pilsbury ready-to-bake sugar cookies-the valentine's ones. I never realized how much calories and sugar are in them! 2 cookies (1 serving) is 120 calories. Before I got serious about dieting I bet I would eat 6 or 7 at a time. That's roughly 360+ calories. Are there any foods that you used to eat a lot of before you realized how many calories were in them?
    yes Icecream, and potato chips and soda!!
  • Cullottawoman
    Cullottawoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Anything at chili's they are the worst!
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts - 400 calories for a 2-pack of frosted strawberry :(
    yep, i second this! No more pop tarts for me!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Anything on a fast food menu if you up to a medium or a large its crazy how many calories/carbs/fat is in that food! And at one point I would have it for breakfast and lunch and dinner geez
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i totally agree about tortillas, bagels, poptarts. i've recently been looking at nutritional information before dining out anywhere. don't get the turkey burger at red robin because you're trying to make a healthy decision, grrr! i also weigh everything now, too... cereal... come on, who only eats 3/4 cup?! oh, also, fig newtons! the serving size is two cookies! saltine crackers, ritz crackers... can you tell i like carbs? :(
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    Those Totinos kids pizzas. They were cheap and super delicous.
    I'd eat an entire one nearly every day :embarrassed:

660 for the entire pizza, and it's super thin so it did NOT fill me up. It was a snack :(

Knowing this makes me feel better about throwing away the coupons Krogers sent me for these XD
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    For the Superbowl, I budgeted my calories so I could have wings and fries....OMG!!! 994 calories and like 60 grams of fat!!! And that is just the wings!
  • LSchloss
    Options
    Those Costco muffins, 900 calories each! My husband was eating 1 or 2 a day and all of a sudden he couldn't fit into his jeans. He stepped on the scales and had gained 10 pounds in 1 month! I have never touched one since. Luckily for me he was only buying the chocolate ones and my favorite was the poppy seed ones.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts - 400 calories for a 2-pack of frosted strawberry :(

Yep.. poptarts are my usual go-to breakfast item because they're so portable! Not anymore. :[
  • bhealthy33
    Options
    (2) rows of oreo's alternately with pretzels.....................still don't know how many calories that is, but don't keep any of that around me any more.

I would have to say OREOS as well, I bought some for my children and I knew I wasn't having any more, but since I started calorie counting I just took a look and was so surprised! I could take down a whole row without a problem.. that's just ridiculous!
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It is important to remember whether or not the calories you are consuming are "empty" or not.
    Fruits, nuts, avacados...they are not bad foods. Yes, they have high calorie counts but are loaded with a ton of health benefits (vitamins, minerals...all that good stuff).

For me...I second the Cadbury Cremes. SO good and yet SOOOO bad.

Yes, that's true. I guess it's just that a lot of people (me included) hear something labeled as "healthy" and forget to check the calories. Now that I know these things are high calorie, I'm careful about when and how much I eat them, but I still eat them. (^_^)
  • littlegoat
    Options
    Echoing what a few other people have said, everything!

Especially drinks, I've gotta say. I didn't even count them in my intake before now. Regular Cottee's cordial has around 65 calories a serving, which is 250ml prepared, and I'd be drinking anywhere from 500 ml to 1.5l of prepared cordial a day, even more when I started trying to boost my water intake. Soft drinks too, I love love love Mountain Dew, and Cherry Coke, but can't stand the diet versions of them.. now, I've gone from drinking a litre or two a day of them, to a cup or so of Pepsi Max or Diet Coke Vanilla just because I can't justify the intake of the regular ones.

Bread. Easily have half a loaf for a snack sometimes, hug reality check when I worked out the cals in that. Cereal too, my serving would be about 100g if left to my own devices. Same with pasta, and rice.

Biscuits. Tim Tams are around 100 cals each, cookies 75, maple creme ones about 170 for two. Now I'd easily have 6 or 7 for a snack, probably more if I was hungry, or when it was late at night. Shudder to think about it, and am still suprised I didn't end up weighing a hundred pounds more than I did at my highest, lol.

ETA: NUTS! I love me some almonds, and can quite easily work my way through a 200g bag of smokehouse, or vanilla almonds in a few minutes. Same with dry roasted peanuts, they'll be gone in a few handfulls, and that's easily 1000 calories gone without even tasting it. Now wash that down with some soda, or cordial.. and.. eek!
  • torobulls
    torobulls Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walmart popcorn 50% less fat>>>> 1 bag 460 calories 68carbs 16g fat 10g protien !!!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    no excuses for me. been calorie savvy for over 40 years :grumble:
  • melissamason941
    Options
    If you have time say on a Saturday afternoon you can make a big batch pretty easy & pretty cheap & if you eat it with whole wheat angel hair (2 dry 0z=200c) you can have that & a salad w/ olive oil/balsamic vinegar for about 500c +/-. Plus it freezes great & you can thaw it out quick for another night. will supply a 5th generation family recipe if interested :)