Almond Milk

Options
I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk?

Replies

• lindseybyrd
    Options
    I drink unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk and LOVE it! (I usually get the Ingles store brand) It has a TON of calcium which I need becuase I have cut back on all dairy products. Try it with cereal first to get used to the taste and thicker texture than 1%. But I think you will like it.
  • ELIZACAY236
    ELIZACAY236 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too....I just hate that it's more expensive than regular milk. We have 3 little ones who drink milk all the time and almond milk is said to be a lot better but unfortunately it is pricier than regular milk.
  • chanson104
    Options
    Silk does make almond milk, but they have soy as well; there are also other brands of almond milk. The unsweetened kind has less calories, no cholesterol, and more calcium and vitamin E than cow's milk. I don't really think it has much of a flavor to it. I don't drink milk, but I use it on cereal and in smoothies, and I can't tell the difference.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a dairy sensitivity and so she only drinks almond milk. With coupons and sales, we usually get it at the same price as cow's milk. I actually prefer the Almond Breeze almond and coconut milk blend for myself. 60 calories per 8 ounce serving.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I love almond milk. Silk original unsweetened has 35 calories for 8 ounces. The only time I drink dairy milk anymore is on the rare occasion that I have milk and cookies (almond milk just doesn't cut it for me there!) But it's great in cereal, protein shakes, and plain.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I won't touch cow's milk. Almond milk is so delicious.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Almond milk has less protein, no CLA, and is just different than regular milk.

I use it because it saves calories AND I just don't like milk. So if you have no reason to switch I say spend the extra money to buy organic skim milk instead
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I won't touch cow's milk. Almond milk is so delicious.

Same here! I get my Almond milk at Costco, its way cheaper than buying it in the grocery store. Almond milk is low calorie and does not have the hormones meant for a baby cow, after all, that is what a cows milk is for, a growing calf.

The growth hormones that occur naturally in cows is one of the reasons for children starting puberty so early these days.
  • Ttrishaa
    Ttrishaa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. Haha I drink it just because I like it...
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love Almond Milk! I drink the Silk Vanilla Almond and it is delish! It has less calories, double the calcium and added antioxidants. The only thing I don't use it in is my coffee because it made it taste funny!
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, I only use milk for cereal (dont drink whats left in the bowl), cooking/baking and the occasional glass of chocolate milk. I actually hate milk and I get a stomach ache from it, so maybe I'll try the almond. I just hope its not crazy expensive...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Yes, I only use milk for cereal (dont drink whats left in the bowl), cooking/baking and the occasional glass of chocolate milk. I actually hate milk and I get a stomach ache from it, so maybe I'll try the almond. I just hope its not crazy expensive...

If you have a bunch of milk left over in the bowl you are pouring too much. You may want to use a measuring cup. I found that I only need 1/2 cup of almond milk for a cup of cereal, and there was none left in the bottom of the bowl, which means no wasted money.

I am of the opinion that somethings we can not afford not to do. Eating healthy is one of them. Is almond milk more expensive, yes it is, is it worth it, most certainly.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

I pay $3.49 for a half gallon when it's not on sale, so in my area it's not quite double the cost of dairy milk, which is anywhere from $1.89 to $2.39 for a half gallon. It keeps a bit longer than milk though, and I don't use a ton of it, so it's totally worth it for me.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    but what about vitamin d and calcium? someone said calcium is high with am tho
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    but what about vitamin d and calcium? someone said calcium is high with am tho

There is more in almond milk than cows milk.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    from a nutrient standpoint almond milk is probably the worst choice. Calorie standpoint one of the best.

Here's some info on 2% milk:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=130

Here's some info on why almond milk is not the best choice if you can drink cow milk/like it:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35976918/ns/today-today_health/t/skim-soy-more-which-milk-best/#.Tza4RCPEN7w
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I posted this last week, this is what people said:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/482558-why-almond-milk
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    I use the natural original flavor almond milk because I need a milk substitute. I am trying to avoid animal protein so that's the reason I use almond milk.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk when I need to save on calories but I feel like it has a lot less nutrition than cows milk. Especially protein. Cow's milk has like 8 grams of protein vs. 1 gram in almond milk. I do like it in coffee and protein shakes to save on calories, but I'd hardly say it's an equal substitution for cows milk if you can tolerate and like dairy.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has less protein, no CLA, and is just different than regular milk.

I use it because it saves calories AND I just don't like milk. So if you have no reason to switch I say spend the extra money to buy organic skim milk instead
    X2!