Almond Milk

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almonds, HATE almond milk. But it's worth a try to kill your curiosity, I'll stick to my soy and 2%
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Homemade almond milk is delicious for smoothies as well. Just soak the almonds in water for 24 hours to make them easier to digest, and pulse them with water. You can strain this (I don't) or just sweeten it with agave and vanilla and use it for smoothies or baking or just drinking :)

Dairy and I don't get along. This is a great alternative for me. :)
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I HAVEN'T TRIED IT, BUT MY DAUGHTER AND GRANDSONS LOVE IT, I JUST HAVEN'T TRIED IT BECAUSE IT SEEMS A BIT PRICEY.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I am lactose intolerant. I love the fact that I can enjoy a bowl of cereal every now and then! :)
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    A great step by step recipe for making almond milk at home.

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homemade-almond-milk/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    A great step by step recipe for making almond milk at home.

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homemade-almond-milk/
    Thanks!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    For those who tried one this is not like cow milk. All brands taste different.

And no matter who watches the milk, there is still cow hormones in it.

Not only hormones for a baby cow, there is mucus and stomach bile from the cow in that milk. Eww. Thats just gross.
  • CrazyBullies
    Options
    I use almond milk and i love it! It's got a slight sweeter taste but not over intense! i would suggest trying it and see how you like it!!!!
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I prefer Rice Dream milk over all the other non cow/goat milks out there. But it's more caloric and thinner so those who aren't use to drinking non diary milk might not like it. Almond is better in terms of calories and it's thicker for those who want a cow milk consistency.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I prefer Rice Dream milk over all the other non cow/goat milks out there. But it's more caloric and thinner so those who aren't use to drinking non diary milk might not like it. Almond is better in terms of calories and it's thicker for those who want a cow milk consistency.

What's it like? I haven't tried it. I read this and decided against it for now:

"...Rice milk, in my analysis, brings up the rear. It doesn’t offer much in terms of protein or fiber and is among the highest in terms of sugar and calories...."
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/which-non-dairy-milk-is-best.aspx
  • SRS1226
    Options
    I love Almond Milk. I'm lactose intolerant so this is a great way for me to get calcium in my diet (I saw others mention that as well). I prefer Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk. It is a bit thicker than regular milk so I agree with the comment to try it with cereal first.

I've also started trying Coconut Milk...anyone else drink that?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking regular milk entirely for months now but I wanted to start adding milk to my oatmeal and protein shakes so since I've been hearing about almond milk from everyone MFP I decided to try it

Best switched I've made. :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Almond milk works out to be cheaper for me since it is shelf stable. I don't drink much milk at home, so when I buy it, it generally goes to waste because I don't finish thr quart before it goes bad. With almond milk, I have plenty of time to use it.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it is very important that people understand that just because you buy organic milk, it does not mean it is not pumped full of hormones. They are naturally occurring hormones meant for a baby cow. Organic just means the cow was not shot up with hormones to make her produce more milk for the dairy farmer.

Personally, for me, the nutrients that are in cows milk are not enough to justify drinking it. There are plenty of other ways to get protein and calcium rather than to digest something that was created to make a baby cow grow.

But I also would like to state, very hypocritically, that I am very fond of cheese. :) So to each his own
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it is very important that people understand that just because you buy organic milk, it does not mean it is not pumped full of hormones. They are naturally occurring hormones meant for a baby cow. Organic just means the cow was not shot up with hormones to make her produce more milk for the dairy farmer.

Personally, for me, the nutrients that are in cows milk are not enough to justify drinking it. There are plenty of other ways to get protein and calcium rather than to digest something that was created to make a baby cow grow.

But I also would like to state, very hypocritically, that I am very fond of cheese. :) So to each his own

(oops, posted twice)
    That is my personal dilema!!! I wont drink milk but mmmm...cheese. Picking up some soy cheese to see if that is ant good!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Almond milk works out to be cheaper for me since it is shelf stable. I don't drink much milk at home, so when I buy it, it generally goes to waste because I don't finish thr quart before it goes bad. With almond milk, I have plenty of time to use it.

For people saying that they have a long time to use it, what kind are they open? Mine says use within 7 days of opening or something like that (Almond Breeze). But if you keep it on the shelf unopened its ok...but that's no good to me lol.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

(oops, posted twice)
    That is my personal dilema!!! I wont drink milk but mmmm...cheese. Picking up some soy cheese to see if that is ant good!

I eat a lot of soy and rice cheese. I will state that it is an acquired taste for sure. I find the soy cheese infused with peppers is better than just soy cheese alone. I also use the swiss flavor rice cheese on sandwiches. One thing that I do recommend when starting out is mixing soy cheese shreds with real cheese shreds. Like on home made pizza or lasagna, omelets and other things that can be melted together.

I have wasted a crap load of money on gross soy cheese, dont try the feta, trust me, its nasty.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [They are naturally occurring hormones meant for a baby cow. Organic just means the cow was not shot up with hormones to make her produce more milk for the dairy farmer. ]

how about antibiotics pumped into the buggers because cows were not meant to eat corn? I forget how it works tho

(oops, posted twice)

I eat a lot of soy and rice cheese. I will state that it is an acquired taste for sure. I find the soy cheese infused with peppers is better than just soy cheese alone. I also use the swiss flavor rice cheese on sandwiches. One thing that I do recommend when starting out is mixing soy cheese shreds with real cheese shreds. Like on home made pizza or lasagna, omelets and other things that can be melted together.

I have wasted a crap load of money on gross soy cheese, dont try the feta, trust me, its nasty.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [ I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk? ]
    I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk?
    I'm a convert.. silk vanilla almond milk... good stuff.
    [/quote]

sadly i realized too late I bought sweetened vanilla. I meant to try the lowest calorie one... that would be unsweetened for 45 calories per cup,,,,,,, anybody like it??
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk solely as a transport device for my protein powder. I started with 2% milk, but wanted to make an "easy change" of reducing CHO so switched to water, but I found the water too "thin" for my liking. Tried almond milk and it does the trick for me.