Almond Milk

Options

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    for those that complain about the lack or protein, how bout ya buy the almond+ it has 5g of protein per cup. still less than cow's milk but not too terrible.

I just tried almond milk for the first time a few days ago, I bought almond+ vanilla flavored. I'm not a big milk drinker so i mainly got it for my protein drinks. It's creamier than regular milk and the flavor is great.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think it is very important that people understand that just because you buy organic milk, it does not mean it is not pumped full of hormones. They are naturally occurring hormones meant for a baby cow. Organic just means the cow was not shot up with hormones to make her produce more milk for the dairy farmer.

Personally, for me, the nutrients that are in cows milk are not enough to justify drinking it. There are plenty of other ways to get protein and calcium rather than to digest something that was created to make a baby cow grow.

But I also would like to state, very hypocritically, that I am very fond of cheese. :) So to each his own
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Here's an article I really liked about the non-dairy milk alternatives written by a nutritionist:
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/which-non-dairy-milk-is-best.aspx

I personally drink almond milk and coconut milk which are both under 100 calories per serving. I like them both and I find that they are both a little less than organic milk and a little more than conventional milk so I feel like I can justify the cost.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk. My go to breakfast on a busy day 1c almond milk, 1TBL flax, 1TBL cocoa powder, 1 packet diet sweatener. Mix in blender. Thick, delish, under 100 calories & I am not hungry till lunch.:drinker:
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! I don't drink much milk at all and find this more friendly to my digestion. I actually make my own in my vitamix which is friendlier on my budget!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I posted this last week, this is what people said:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/482558-why-almond-milk
    Just tried almond and soy. See my last comment on the thread above for a review.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    !
    I LOVE almond milk! I don't drink much milk at all and find this more friendly to my digestion. I actually make my own in my vitamix which is friendlier on my budget!
    Cool! How does that work
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [ I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk? ]
    I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk?
    [/quote]
    I'm a convert.. silk vanilla almond milk... good stuff.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. Love of my life fire of my loins...
    It's amazing. Trader Joe's makes a reasonable priced one that's delish. There's a few differences between almond milk and real milk that you should be aware of though.
    -Almond milk is really low in protein. If you're used to using 1% milk as a source of protein, you'll have to make up for that.
    -Sugar sugar sugar. One serving usually has about 15 g if you get the sweetened kind. I really like Pacific Natural Foods Lowfat Almond Milk, which only has 9 grams. (Personally, I can't vibe on the unsweetened almond milk).
    -Another reason that brand I just mentioned is great...lowfat. Well, barely. It's 3 g fat and 1 g of protein, but that's still less fat than is in regular almond milk.
  • RobynJoy76
    RobynJoy76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I won't touch cow's milk. Almond milk is so delicious.

Same here! I get my Almond milk at Costco, its way cheaper than buying it in the grocery store. Almond milk is low calorie and does not have the hormones meant for a baby cow, after all, that is what a cows milk is for, a growing calf.

The growth hormones that occur naturally in cows is one of the reasons for children starting puberty so early these days.

I never really considered the naturally occurring growth hormones but that is a really good point. The synthetic ones make it way worse because in addition to the additional hormones there is also antibiotics and pus in our milk as a result, but the fact is,cow milk is for baby cows, not humans. And then with all the genetically modified soy and the hormone issues too much soy intake can cause, it seems that Almond milk is the way to go!
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I keep kosher. We also keep an extra level of strictness called Cholov Yisroel, which means the milk was watched by a rabbi from the time of milking. Because there is so much supervision, most of the kosher milk has no hormones in it. We do pay a lot extra for it. I keep soy and almond milk in the house to use in place of milk when I cook meat dishes. I also use it in my cereal when I can't have milk.

http://www.jewish-holiday.com/gotmilk.html

This is an old ad, because Ahava is defunct and now owned by Fresh and Healthy. but the milk I use is New Square milk, the one in the picture.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    google_1.jpg
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too....I just hate that it's more expensive than regular milk. We have 3 little ones who drink milk all the time and almond milk is said to be a lot better but unfortunately it is pricier than regular milk.

If you do like I do and mix 1:1 Almond Milk and Water, it is still richer than skim and tastes way better. Doing this makes it equal to the cost of skim
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love Blue Diamond Sweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I put it on my cereal and it sweetens it enough to not need any other sweetener which results in less calories total. :)
  • Shinkermom
    Shinkermom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Me and my daughter love the almond milk :-) The dark chocolate is also good as a sweet chocolate treat. Besides the yummy taste it also has a longer shelf life (much more than regular milk)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It's a good dairy alternative for sure. I'm personally not a fan.
  • bookdame
    Options
    I actually think there is more nutritional benefit to 1% (Organic!) Milk or Soy milk.
    protein, calcium, its all there.

I think Almond milk is tasty but if you like regular milk, its GREAT for you! i personally cannot drink alot of milk, I prefer the taste of soy,
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • glenndanzig
    glenndanzig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    almond milk is my ****, i drink it daily (plain and with hemp protein) and use it in cereal. if i baked i'd use it for that, too. i will gladly spend $3 on a half gallon (i go through about one a week) at trader joes. their unsweetened vanilla is sooo good. and only 40 calories per cup! down with dairy!!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    For those who tried one this is not like cow milk. All brands taste different.

And no matter who watches the milk, there is still cow hormones in it.