Transition clothes: are they worth it?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Ilisidi
    Ilisidi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Call me nostalgic, but I saved my favorite shirts and jeans from when they still fit me - so they are my motivation...
    Other than that, I enjoy thrift shops, not just for the clothes, but also the knick knacks :D only downside is if you like something that isn't your size, there's nothing you can do about it...

that bit about motivation, is exactly why I've found it difficult....but so many positive things have been said about the importance of recognising the progress made and the importance of looking good as you can, that I'll be taking action :-)
  • Ilisidi
    Options
    Consignment!

Yes!
  • Ilisidi
    Options
    A good tip for using charity shops: Take your measurements before you go, and take a tape measure with you since even mens sizes vary from brand to brand. Find what you like on the rails and measure it to make sure it will fit you; of course you can slip on shirts and jackets in the shop, but trousers could be tricky! :smile: I'm lucky in that my favourite charity shop actually has dressing rooms to try on items, but many do not.

Thank you for the tip, lack of dressing rooms etc hadn't crossed my mind - I'll be getting organised tomorrow:-)
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I would think a sewing machine would be the best idea. Then you could stuff a cushion with the bits that you cut off! It would be your success cushion!:laugh:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Call me nostalgic, but I saved my favorite shirts and jeans from when they still fit me - so they are my motivation...
    Other than that, I enjoy thrift shops, not just for the clothes, but also the knick knacks :D only downside is if you like something that isn't your size, there's nothing you can do about it...

that bit about motivation, is exactly why I've found it difficult....but so many positive things have been said about the importance of recognising the progress made and the importance of looking good as you can, that I'll be taking action :-)

Well, I meant the smaller sizes, that fit me 10 years ago :p
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Don't go to thrift stores and buy used clothes. You don't deserve 2nd hand if you can afford to do better then that. You plan on being healthy for life and your clothes are an investment into your image, well being, and should be nice enough to last.

Just because you're buying at a thrift store doesn't mean you're getting 'used' clothes, lots of folks buy clothes just because they're on sale or they like the look and then never get around to wearing them because they have so much. I can't count the number of times I've found a designer label still with tags on it for under $5 new condition.... and way cheaper than the tag prices where I've seen $100+ on the tags... sometimes there's not much there (hey much like a 'real' store for new clothes) other times you can score huge... families will often donate unneeded clothes after losing a loved one too so there can be really good new clothes available at them, and lots of them probably last longer than the $5 new shirts from Walmart etc :P

You're right! :) I should of said I don't think people should only shop at Thrift stores strictly when buying clothes. It's nice to go out and get something from a retail store as well. Don't feel ashamed but also don't over do it. Balance is key to everything.