Fructose leads to Metabolic Syndrome and is basically toxic

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fiber in my diet. I don't need to specifically eat fruit fiber for it. That's the part everyone ignores. Human beings don't eat food in a vacuum. If you drink a soda while eating a high fiber food, fiber would act the exact same way as if you had eaten a piece of fruit with fiber in it (not that all fruits have good fiber in them, but that's another post for another day.)

Bottom line. Stop trying to find some external reason for your health problems, and take responsibility for your own actions. If all these "insulin is evil, carbs are going to kill you, fructose is poison" garbage info was true, then I would still be obese, rather than losing 54 pounds and being in a normal body fat range, because apparently I've been doing it all wrong.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post!
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fiber in my diet. I don't need to specifically eat fruit fiber for it. That's the part everyone ignores. Human beings don't eat food in a vacuum. If you drink a soda while eating a high fiber food, fiber would act the exact same way as if you had eaten a piece of fruit with fiber in it (not that all fruits have good fiber in them, but that's another post for another day.)

Bottom line. Stop trying to find some external reason for your health problems, and take responsibility for your own actions. If all these "insulin is evil, carbs are going to kill you, fructose is poison" garbage info was true, then I would still be obese, rather than losing 54 pounds and being in a normal body fat range, because apparently I've been doing it all wrong.

For some people it may be about pushing the blame on something other that themselves, but it seems the posters intention was simply to provide some interesting information. Sugar isn't good for us, bottom line, we've known this for years but many choose to ignore it. The video is complete science. FACT.
  • katiew00t
    Options
    I eliminated corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup from my diet. The only sugars I consume are from fruits, vegetables, and natural sugar sources, like cane sugar, cane juice, etc. White table sugar is BAD. Natural sugar still contains nutrients and doesn't raise the glycemic index like white sugar does. My conclusion? Eliminate processed sugar from your diet, and eat natural sugars in moderation.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time for the video, here's a NY Times article that hits the highlights and the controversy.

Pretty good stuff.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all

a snippet:

"The phrase Lustig uses when he describes this concept is “isocaloric but not isometabolic.” This means we can eat 100 calories of glucose (from a potato or bread or other starch) or 100 calories of sugar (half glucose and half fructose), and they will be metabolized differently and have a different effect on the body. The calories are the same, but the metabolic consequences are quite different.

The fructose component of sugar and H.F.C.S. is metabolized primarily by the liver, while the glucose from sugar and starches is metabolized by every cell in the body. Consuming sugar (fructose and glucose) means more work for the liver than if you consumed the same number of calories of starch (glucose). And if you take that sugar in liquid form — soda or fruit juices — the fructose and glucose will hit the liver more quickly than if you consume them, say, in an apple (or several apples, to get what researchers would call the equivalent dose of sugar). The speed with which the liver has to do its work will also affect how it metabolizes the fructose and glucose."

The same applies to Agave Syrup, from the Agave cactus. Also what Taquilla is made from. Body converts it to 90% fructose. Many people are using it as a sugar substitute and it is actually the closest tasting to sugar that I found. It does not cause a spike in insulin but as noted above the conversion to fructose is problematic. At least table sugar is 50/50.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. This is great!
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This lecture is so right on !! I shared it to facebook, thank you for sharing it here !!!!!!!:happy:
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    look at our closest relatives, apes.

I'm not related to any apes... o.0
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You sure it wasn't the 250 extra calories that a 32 oz container of Gatorade had in it, compared to water? I lost a ton of weight when I cut back soda and drank more water instead. Fructose had nothing to do with it, cutting out a few hundred calories a day did.

Did I watch this video? Yes. Do I agree with it? No. Does the science fit? Again, no. There is absolutely no physical difference between fructose in everything you eat normally, and fructose in HFCS, it's the exact same molecule, and the body metabolizes it in the exact same way. Contrary to what the "anti-fructose" camp seems to spread, the body doesn't absorb fructose very easily, free fructose is only absorbed in very small amounts at a time, glucose helps the body absorb fructose, but only in equal amounts to glucose.

Listen you ^^

And you down here
    vvv
    BIG SIGH*

No, fructose isn't toxic.

No, fructose doesn't lead to metabolic syndrome.

Obesity causes metabolic disfunction. Excess calorie consumption causes obesity. End of story.

Please, for the love of all things rational and good, someone make the alarmist baloney disappear. PLEASE?!!

Stop making so much sense.

Good posts.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I wish that offices would give people standing desks.
    [/quote]

Amen to that! Even better a desk that could alternated b/w sitting and standing so you could change positions frequently.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sugar intake and protein are the two things i am constantly going over on... and I don't even do a lot of sugary stuff... My greek yogurt in the morning though usually does me in. But it also gives me the sugar and protein I need to workout in the afternoon. I living by the motto - anything in moderation is the way to go.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Fructose most certainly does spike insulin, so I'm going to go ahead and discount all the other alarmist stuff, as well. Also, fructose can and certainly is, converted by the body into glycogen by the liver, same as glucose.

Fructose is not evil. Sugar is not evil. Artificial sweeteners are not evil. Saturated fat is not evil. Dairy is not evil. No food is evil. Food is food.

I beg to differ. Read the book Whitewashed and you will change your mind about dairy products. HFCS are the worst kind of sugars for the body. They are not metabolized in the same manner as other sugars and they tax the liver. I stay well away from them, but they are in everything. And I mean everything.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Also leads to NAFLD - Non-Alcohol Fatty Liver Disease.

and yes all fructose is the same. The fructose in fruit is the exact same as the fructose in HFCS and sugar. The big difference is with fruit you are usually getting the WHOLE FOOD. That whole food contains much, much more than just fructose and the combination of all the different nutrients and enzymes and mineral and such could possibly minimize the effect of the fructose from that fruit. It would make sense, wouldn't it?

But because the glucose in fruit doesn the exact same thing to my blood sugar as the glucose in refined sugars or the glucose that grains are converted to in my body I minimize my fruit intake. I stick with low-sugar berries.

And Agave Syrup is a highly processed syrup that is almost all fructose. So much for a "healthy" alternative.
    And most of the honey you pick up off of the grocery store shelf was made by bees that are fed HFCS. The only truly nutritious honey comes straight from the hive - unfiltered and unheated (raw). Raw honey you have to scoop with a spoon.

My dad is on dialysis, my older brother is diabetic. I'm a thin "pre-diabetic" that will have to monitor my blood sugar the rest of my life to fight off diabetes (20% of diabetics are thin and there are probably many more since most doctors don't look unless you are obese). I have done extensive research and I know my sugars and starches.

And the one thing I don't eat in moderation is saturated fat and other healthy fats.
    Exercise should be done in moderation, too. There's a fine line between training hard and over-training.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. Read the book Whitewashed and you will change your mind about dairy products. HFCS are the worst kind of sugars for the body. They are not metabolized in the same manner as other sugars and they tax the liver. I stay well away from them, but they are in everything. And I mean everything.

Clearly he will believe the alarmist video posted if he first reads an alarmist book on the evils of cow's milk?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have done extensive research and I know my sugars and starches.

O rly? and you make comments like this?

"Saturated fat is only bad for you in the presence of carbohydrates (This makes ice cream one of the worst treats out there)."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fructose most certainly does spike insulin, so I'm going to go ahead and discount all the other alarmist stuff, as well. Also, fructose can and certainly is, converted by the body into glycogen by the liver, same as glucose.

Fructose is not evil. Sugar is not evil. Artificial sweeteners are not evil. Saturated fat is not evil. Dairy is not evil. No food is evil. Food is food.

Um, not true in the least. The human body can't tell the difference between where any sugar comes from, it only sees the molecules consumed. It doesn't recognize HFCS, or sucrose, or what have you, it sees glucose and fructose, and metabolizes them exactly the same, regardless of the source it comes from.
  • katiew00t
    Options
    Sugar intake and protein are the two things i am constantly going over on... and I don't even do a lot of sugary stuff... My greek yogurt in the morning though usually does me in. But it also gives me the sugar and protein I need to workout in the afternoon. I living by the motto - anything in moderation is the way to go.

I'm always over my protein and sugar "limits," too. I'm not worried about the extra protein. I've switched to plain soy yogurt and add fresh fruit, instead of buying flavored yogurt, and that cuts down on some sugar. Also bought unsweetened soy milk, and eat unsweetened cereal in the morning. Unfortunately, I am not willing to give up my daily Clif bars, and that is what puts me over my sugar limit; plus I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Aside from eliminating the Clif bars, I don't know what else to do to lower my sugar intake---and how do we really know what amount is okay if you work out and burn calories throughout the day?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    bump to watch video later.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    *BIG SIGH*

No, fructose isn't toxic.

No, fructose doesn't lead to metabolic syndrome.

Obesity causes metabolic disfunction. Excess calorie consumption causes obesity. End of story.

Please, for the love of all things rational and good, someone make the alarmist baloney disappear. PLEASE?!!

What is a good reference on how obesity actually causes metabolic dis-function?