Alcohol sucks

Options

Replies

• yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    alcohol has certainly resulted in me sucking.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    A drink regularly, but not like binge drinking or anything. A glass of red wine 3-4 times a week, and I'll have a few social drinks out with my friends on the weekends. Not enough to get hungover, and sometimes just a little buzz. Hasn't bothered me and hasn't de-railed me, plus I always factor in the calories.

Also, I work for a beer distributor. I don't have any plans to give up boozing any time soon :) I just don't overdo it!

But that's just me, different strokes for different folks :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

*skips merrily over to yummy with wine in hand*
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Hahahaha iseewhatyoudidthere
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The negative affects of alcohol you're all speaking of don't come from the booze, they come from overindulgence. Beer and wine both make fantastic beverage complements to most meals and a drink shared with friends is never a wasted moment. Instead of blaming alcohol for your hangovers and poor decisions, you should all take personal responsibility for your actions and blame yourselves.

*adjusts beer4life sash*

I love you, you know this. You're my Kortyboo....but even just one glass of wine makes me feel laughy and happy, but it also makes me feel like crap. I have stopped drinking often because I get tired of my stomach burning from just a tiny amount.

*smoochywoochies* ... of course there are definitely medical reasons for some people to seriously limit their consumption! That's not the same as someone that gets tanked and does a naked keg stand outside of Walmart and then blames the Bud Light the next morning.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    So yeah, eventually I realized I was killing myself and what exactly was the point of that? I wasn't happy anyway. So I joined AA, doesn't work for everyone obvs, but works for me. Plenty of people can drink and be fine- I am not one of those people :noway:

I just celebrated 15 months of sobriety on February 20th and I can honestly say that I don't miss it at all. It was destroying me and I didn't realize it. I am thankful I never got a DUI, lost a job, a family etc. but the reality is I lost myself. It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made BUT I am grateful that I have the opportunity to get to know who I am, deal with my feeling/emotions on a real level and not cringe when I look in the mirror after a binge.

I have applied some of the "Steps" to deal with my food and body issues as well. Thanks to AA, I have found a new way to live.

My husband and some friends still drink and I'm ok with that, they haven't lost their right to drink but I have.

HIP HIP HOORAY! :flowerforyou:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The negative affects of alcohol you're all speaking of don't come from the booze, they come from overindulgence. Beer and wine both make fantastic beverage complements to most meals and a drink shared with friends is never a wasted moment. Instead of blaming alcohol for your hangovers and poor decisions, you should all take personal responsibility for your actions and blame yourselves.
    I agree. I haven't consumed alcohol in many years. For me, the problem was more than just overindulgence, but you are correct to say that problems with alcohol stem from too much of it. As others have said, it's another form of calories and in moderation, can be fine for some people. In fact, it can be fine in overindulgence too, if someone chooses to overindulge (assuming in own home/not hurting anyone else).

You do bring up an interesting point, though. I don't think alcohol should be blamed for anything. Unless someone is held down and forced to drink it, they are still responsible for their actions, even if drunk. Too often I hear the excuse "I was drunk" as an explanation for someone's behavior. How many of us let people off the hook because they were drunk?
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What pp don't realize about alcohol is that in addition to being empty calories it causes and most people to eat more and it slows ur metabolism. I quit drinking too.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

When's our next wine/slumber party?
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My bf and I are giving up beer for Lent. It was perfect timing because we've been having the "We need a life change" conversation. It's hard though... I know a ton of people in the restaurant industry and write a blog. My boyfriend is in a band and plays clubs and shows all the time. I'd say 75-90% of our friends are moderate-heavy drinkers and/or smokers. It's not easy, but we want to be healthy and we want to prepare for a healthy life now rather than wait until we are already married and have kids. So, we're giving up beer for a while and my bf is going to quit smoking on March 31. (I've already cut back so much that now it's only about once a week if that - socially, of course. :( But we're both done for good on 3/31.)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

*adjusts beer4life sash*

I love you, you know this. You're my Kortyboo....but even just one glass of wine makes me feel laughy and happy, but it also makes me feel like crap. I have stopped drinking often because I get tired of my stomach burning from just a tiny amount.

*smoochywoochies* ... of course there are definitely medical reasons for some people to seriously limit their consumption! That's not the same as someone that gets tanked and does a naked keg stand outside of Walmart and then blames the Bud Light the next morning.

This is true....makes notes *drink case of beer and do naked keg stand outside walmart*
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options

When's our next wine/slumber party?

Can I get in on that? :drinker:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I learned moderation is the key. The older I got recovering from the hangover got harder and harder.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have given up alcohol almost entirely. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, and I don't just have one drink, I'll have the whole bottle of wine or bourbon. Plus I don't like how I act when under the influence - I've done some pretty stupid things that I really regret.

I have only had two drinks since Christmas - both were a glass of wine out at a restaurant. That's the only situation I'll allow myself to drink these days.
  • Aremum
    Options
    I have just recently cut my alcohol consumption to one day a week and only a few drinks - not a whole bottle of wine like I would do every night of the week....I feel and look so much better already! One morning I 'woke up' and noticed how terrible I was looking (bloated and alot older than my 35 years!). and I was struggling to lose weight - eating pretty good 99% of the time, but consuming 500-600 calories extra a day on alcohol...and no energy to exercise properly. Now my daily calorie intake is still much the same but minus the wine and I am losing weight!!

I want to eat my calories, not drink them!
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    This is one of those things that I struggle with. My husband and I drink almost every weekend. We went bowling with his mom and her new fiance Friday night and I wasn't going to drink that much but the first one went down good, then 2, then 3. In all, 5. Then we went to the fiance's house and he broke out a bottle of honey whiskey for us to try. OMG, so good.

Saturday wasn't pretty. :sick:
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I think it might be age. When I was young the goal was to get trashed, not the goal is just to enjoy the presence of everyone I'm with.
  • Katie0174
    Katie0174 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a drinker but now I really don't drink any at all. I hate everything about it - from the way people act to how it tastes and smells. I hate how it makes me feel when I'm drinking it and the next day. In my family there are more than a couple alcoholic types and that is also another major reason why I don't enjoy it; I don't have an addictive personality by any means but it just freaks me out a little to see.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Is this why you just shipped me a SECOND package of beer? You're being so subtle. But now I get it.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I bartend on the weekends. We live in a town of maybe 1000 people (not even a stop light in town). We have 3 bars. We are drinkers. I don't hate it, but I have limited it the weekend and a glass of wine here and there. But I love the social part of being around my friends. I just figure the calories into my day