Alcohol sucks

Options
1235»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Moderate alcohol consumption is actually healthy, in general. The key word is moderate. I haven't been drunk in about 10 years, but I have 1 beer, or one glass of wine, or 1 oz of liquor nightly.

People who consume moderate alcohol on a regular basis have been shown to have better overall health than people who don't drink at all. They also tend to be healthier than people who drink too much, of course. Again, the key is moderation.
  • gillianvandorsser
    Options
    I think that it varies so much from one person to another.. personally I love to drink, I enjoy it but I don't abuse it. If you want to, it's simple to work the calories into your day or exercise extra to burn them off, and as long as you don't drink to excess you won't have to deal with negative effects such as hangovers and bad decisions.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    As I read this I am on my 2nd glass of wine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    All of the guidelines that they set as "healthy, moderate" drinking, are way higher than what I can handle (without having stomach pain and feeling too cloudy and out of sorts). I think maybe it's because I am petite and small (100 pounds). Those guidelines may need to be much lower for me.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    I agree, it sucks. I initially stopped because I hate feeling like I'm going to die the next day, but I would still drink on occasion, holidays etc., and now I just don't drink at all because of the cals.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I didn't even start drinking until my late twenties, and even then, it wasn't often - maybe a couple of times a year. Now that I'm older I drink a lot more than I used to. I'd have to say maybe 1-3 drinks per month. Still not a lot, but much more than I did when I was younger. I'm a light weight. It doesn't take much to get me a buzz. I've never been an addictive personality, so I could take it or leave it. It's kinda fun, but it wouldn't bother me if I never had any again.

Drinking a lot of alcohol probably isn't a good idea if you're watching your weight. Why drink all those empty calories? I see it more as a special occasion thing.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think it's about knowing your limits, which comes with experience. I still binge drink on occasion, but I know how to avoid getting too drunk or hungover. I know I'm a lightweight, so I don't try to keep up with the people who aren't.

But as with anything, some people find it works better for them to avoid it all together. Nothing wrong with that.