My husband is doing a juice fast. Help Needed!

Options
13»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

In the fasting state, the body will scour for dead cells, damaged tissues, fatty deposits, tumors, abscesses, all of which are burned for fuel or expelled as waste. Those are all toxins in the body.*** Not so mysterious.

please dont tell me you actually believe this

what does the body "scour" with?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    a-brillo-pad.jpg
  • jiva57
    jiva57 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: the mean green juice is one of the better balanced - uses a lot of kale (has protein content and calcium). Might want to research and try it: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1759308. I have done 10 days on this one myself for detox.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Did anyone notice this thread is 7 months old?
  • jiva57
    jiva57 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did anyone notice this thread is 7 months old?

and that was probably the most useful post today. =D
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Um, no. There is absolutely nothing true in any of that.

Well, sort of. The, um.. "poetic" description may be off, but autophagy (literally self-eating) is real and does have a role in the body, and it is hypothesized that the mechanisms and reactions that occur in cells during autophagy may trigger apoptosis of many cancer cells as one of the ways in which frequent periods of autophagy reduces overall cancer risk. Cells also form sort-of balloons (autophagosomes) during autophagy where they dump a lot of excess matter (including glycated protein complexes and other damaged/useless molecules) and deliver them to lysosomes for destruction - and by doing so those excess and damaged molecules stop reacting with nearby molecules and causing minor havoc and accelerating aging. Autophagy in humans seems to be triggered by 500 calories or less, and/or very low protein (to a lesser degree if just protein restriction). But autophagy also = catabolism, and downsides begin to appear around 3-4 days in. It may be that it is worth it for some people in some health states to continue for a while, but I'm worried about muscle loss much beyond that in someone otherwise reasonably healthy.

Personally I find the real science fascinating. There's lots on google scholar about autophagy, its role in disease and fasting or intermittent fasting as a trigger. Honestly I think that is a mechanism behind why many different kinds of "cleanses" seem to help many people. I just wish there were more science on that, and less pawing in the dark.
  • byronguy74
    Options
    What she said - I didnt understand a word of it but it sounded really good!

I know what worked for me, what kick started my weight loss, what brought down my blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar. It certainly wasnt the burgers and pizza that I had eaten for years, it was the juice fast that I did at the beginning of the year and the change in eating habits that I have since then. Call it scouring, call it autophagocytosis, call it waving a dead chicken over the scales while chanting ancient voodoo spells and throwing magic pixie dust in the air, call it whatever you want - I know it has helped me and I know it can help others that are in the same situation as I was in.
  • skinnykeelin
    skinnykeelin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast for 23 days last summer. I had few bowel movements. Remember you aren't taking in much fiber. My skin felt great, my hair and nails were stronger and shiny. I'd do it again if i could get the willpower up. As long as he is juicing mostly veggies with fruit added for taste he should be fine. He will be sick if he is drinking store bought juice or only fruit. The ratio should be 80% veggie to 20% fruit. Eat some veggie sticks to curb hunger. It will get the bowel moving and fill him up without breaking the fast.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    OK wait, first of all you can' be "fasting" if you're drinking juice. Fasting means NO calorie consumption. If you're drinking juice you're still in a fed state.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    EDIT - whoops, didn't realize this thread was super old.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    EDIT - whoops, didn't realize this thread was super old.

Oh wow neither did I. Ignored.
  • mannyfresh79
    Options
    It's poopie time!
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    He should be having BMs. Even if you only drink water you have BMs because your intestinal lining sheds. Not dramatically, just part of the normal turnover and renewal. He can try taking a fiber supplement like psyllium to help him along.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    2+ years later, I'm pretty sure he's not still juicing and constipated. :smile: