Nurse buddies!

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for friends who are trying to lose weight while working as a Nurse. I want to share my journey with friends who have the same tough time as me doing shift work, and trying to eat healthy food when you have to grab and eat quickly on breaks. Also finding it tough to stay motivated to exercise when I'm rushing round on my feet all day, and all I crave is the sofa : )

Please add me!

I weigh 159 and am looking to go down to the 130s. I'm 25, living in Wales with my fiance who is a teacher, and our two moggies.

Replies

• adorablechaos
    adorablechaos Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not a nurse but a CT tech and work 12 hour shifts, so I feel your pain..
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 28 and a RN working 12 hour shifts, so I totally understand where you are coming from. I weigh 159, looking to get down to the 130-135 range :-)
  • johbro
    johbro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work as a nurse, I found myself not taking the time to eat at work and stuffing myself with lots of calories when I got home. This had caused a weight gain. I have really worked on finding the time to eat at work. I still have days where I don't get a chance to eat at work.
  • kristi_asco
    Options
    hi there! i'm currently in college studying to be a nurse....does that still count?! lol :laugh:
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. I work 8 and 12 hour shifts. Amazing how unhealthy hospital food is.
  • jdevrich
    Options
    I'm 29 and a nurse in the OR. I work 5 8hr shifts (7-3) and know what you mean about just craving the sofa when you get home. I also have an almost 4 years old so he keeps me busy too. Feel free to add me fellow RN's! :)
  • mlreidrn
    mlreidrn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse....I also had weight loss surgey in August...I have to plan my meals because im not capable of eating whatever anymore......i sent add requests if you would like to be my friend here.
  • cjacole
    cjacole Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a 28 year old RN. I work in surgery so it is so hard for me to plan on eating, or the worst part drinking. I scrub into surgeries where I am sometimes stuck in a case for hours and I cannot leave to go to the bathroom therefor I do not allow myself to eat or drink knowing this. Then by the time I do get to eat I am usually so hungry I stuff my face. Doctors are all the time buying us lunch which is hard to turn down and I find myself eating horribly. I have lost 10 pounds since joining MFP. I am now around 135 and would like to be more toward the lower 120's because I am only 5'2". A friend of mine and myself recently signed up for a couple 5K runs. We are by no means runners but we figured that we had no choice but to start running and training to not make ourselves look pathetic at the race. Good luck in you weight loss goals...I am right there with ya :)
  • marfitness
    Options
    Not a nurse, but a deputy sheriff, and I know what you mean about working the weird shifts! Constantly having to eat on the run
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse on 3rd shift-not losing wgt anymore but working out to become more healthier and active. Feel free to add me as a buddy
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a 12 hour night shift RN. Feel free to add. I have good eating days & not so good eating days, but I've just about accomplished my goals. You can do it too.
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a PACU nurse...easier than when I was an ER nurse...they allowed food on unit and junk was everywhere. Now can't have junk around me. My battle has been the early lunch breaks on the early shift...so hungry when I get off...was running through fast food all the time. Now I am trying to have a piece of fruit and hit the gym for an hour. Then when I get home it is time to walk the dog and then it is dinner time. I currently work 8's and no nights...but have done my share of nights and 12 hours....not an easy life sometimes!!!!
    Heather
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow nurses!!! I am an ER RN, been doing this for almost 14 years, of which 11 of those years were spent on 12hr night shifts, 7p-7:30a. My meals consisted of the following: 7:45am.....McDonald's. sleep. 6:30pm...McDonalds, or 2 slices of pizza, 12a...chinese food, 1-7am vending machine junk, repeat. Needless to say I weighed around 245-250 pounds. 3 years ago I switched to 12hr days 7a-7:30p and it was the best thing for me, today I weigh 169 pounds and I hope to continue to lose until my body says "ENOUGH". Basically I am following a paleo lifestyle and with the cafeteria selling pretty decent stuff, it hasnt been difficult to stick with it. As for exercise, it's hard because I am so tired by the time I get home so I work out on my off days. At times I do go to a 5:30am Spin class before work when I"m working 5 days out of the week due to OT. Being a nurse on a diet is not easy but it is doable. Good Luck on your journey. :)
  • springermad
    Options
    I am a student nurse x
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also an RN. I work nights in the ICU 12.5 hour shifts. I work 3 on 1 off 3 on 7 off. I also am available to work 2 of my 7 days off. I am 55 years old, currently weigh 227 pounds, am 5'11 inches tall. I am working on getting somewhere in the 150-160 range. I would love to have friends on here that I can discuss strategy with. Perhaps we can all help each other! I have no clue how to add anyone as a buddy on here but would be happy to do so if you only tell me how.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    Studying for my BSN as well (: Eating healthy during finals is impossible!! I'm trying to do most of my weight loss before Summer semester since I'm off this semester lol
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse but right now I am a stay at home mom... I actually found it easier to diet while working when I wasn't always right near a refridgerator!! :-)
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a new grad working in a children's hospital! I just wrote my licensing exam on the first of this month so I have a temporary license at the moment =) I started at 167lbs on Nov 1st of last year and am currently 152lbs! Feel free to add me!!
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nursing student, but I will (hopefully) be an RN by the end of the year.
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been a nurse for fifteen years and working swing/night shifts are not easy but the pay is awesome. The last 6 months at work have been horrible for my weightloss plan but I'm working on organizing by "days" a little better. I also have a mediafit which I hope helps out. Feel free to add me.

I have lost over 20 pounds and hope to loose between 15-25 more before holiday in September.