Nurse buddies!

Options

Replies

• maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I finished my BSN in May, had my son in June, took (and passed!) the NCLEX in July, and I've been working in long term care per diem since October (8 hr day shifts are so much easier with a baby at home!) I'm going to start preparing to become an IBCLC soon.

I am hard core about what food I bring to work. I make good food so it makes it easier to resist the steady flow of junk food available 24/7. I make chicken salad with sunflower seeds and walnuts and I eat it with triscuits, I bring a laughing cow cheese wedge (garlic and herb is the best!) and baked pita chips, I like cheese sticks, Chobani yogurt, Kashi granola bars, I'll pack a dessert too and a bottle of milk. I say figure out some good homemade food that you like and pack it carefully, then you'll be more likely to save room for your lunch! I will even make extra food at dinner (enchiladas, pizza) so I have some to pack in my lunch.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I started a new group for Nurses. RN's LPN's, CNA's and nursing students. Please join.
  • katiestemp
    katiestemp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse in a family practice office!! All that's in the breakroom is sweets and snacks...I feel your pain!!
  • FatNurseSlim
    Options
    I am a neonatal nurse working 12hour shifts - i have been in this job just a year and piled on the pounds as parents & doctors on rotation shower us with biscuits sweets and crisps reguarly !
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN but not doing shift work but frequently on the road (hospice). I Def remember those days on the floor though where you never stopped. While eating patterns were strange then, I actually lost weight doing shift work as one of the other posters mentioned. Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am a L&D nurse who works 12 hour nights. The best part about nights is the cafeteria is not open so I have to pack my lunch which is not difficult for me. I have been gaining and losing the same 15 pounds for the last year and I am completely convinced it is because I work nights. My sleep cycle is so messed up and I am usually very sleep deprived as I have 2 school aged children. I recently started doing a boot camp type program at the gym I belong to so it has renewed my interest in getting in shape before swimsuit season. I look forward to meeting more nurses out there!

Megan
  • im_blessed
    im_blessed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    New grad here, currently looking for a job, harder than i thought it would be but the time off is helping me stay focused on my goal. Feel free to add me :)

10614423.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    add me!!!!!! also have to eat so fast in order to get back to work, and forget about all the tempting foods the drug reps bring dammitt lol
  • sjbarlow4
    Options
    Med/Surg nurse here.....I work the nightshift, 12 hour shifts. Would love some nurse friends who understand! Need to lose about 60 lbs. Feel free to add me :)
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Add me in! Im a LTC Nurse Supervisor, I started a weight loss journey a couple weeks ago lost 12lbs so far. This past weekend I started the night shift again will be revising my eating and exercise schedule. I want to lose about 50lbs. I determined not to gain weight on this night shift!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I started a nurses group a couple of days ago. Feel free to join. Also add me as a friend if you wish.
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good morning I am an LPN 7-3 working in a substance abuse detox center and I am new here. It does get hard when you are working double shifts and 12 hour shifts and sometimes not even having time to prepare something good to eat does get hard at times.. Nice to meet you look forward to getting to know you :) and others on this board..

HVD to all :)
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    amazing to see so many nurses on here! I'm a psychiatric Nurse, and lucky enough not to work shift work 0730--1600 monday- friday. I used to work shifts and totally remember the challenges that brought! Good Luck to you all! Add me if you like :)
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am not a Nurse, however I am in school...........also a CNA for the past 13 years worked all shifts and I seemed to gain the bulk of my weight while I was on night shift.........the shift isn't bad it was when I was finished I had to go to class by 8 am then home to clean get homework finished then try and rest before I returned to work that evening. I have since switched to days and some evenings and at time it is still hard to follow a program.

Add me if you like or if anyone else would llike to add me as a friend.....I would love to see how others are coping with food and what they have on their food diary for support.
  • jc6733
    jc6733 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a student nurse finishing up my last semester of University! I definitely feel your pain since I am working 12 hour shifts, trying to keep up a job outside of consolidation to still have an income AND keep up with readings and assignments! It is tough to maintain good nutrition and regular exercise for sure! But it is possible... I think? lol :)
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am an LPN and work in LTC, but I am also a new mom to twins born in December. Also trying to get into school for my RN. I am not working full time, but have worked as a CNA then LPN for the past 9 years. I find it so hard to eat healthy while at work, crazy break times, if I even get a break! Would love any other nurse friends!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    BSN here-currently working as a worker's comp. field case manager-constantly on the road, lots of driving, lots of miles, long hours when off the road (doing reports and such) Formerly ICU RN-know only too well what we have to endure-really no time for much of anything besides work let alone to eat right. One would think as nurses we could get it right but it realy is difficult, not to mention we sure don't get a lot about nutrition in school (at least when I went to school-which was ages ago-lol) Feel free to add me for friend/support. Good luck to all as we know the consequences of poor eating! :flowerforyou:
  • OneSchrutebuck
    Options
    I am a RN student. I graduate in less than a month! I just stopped doing 12 hour night shifts in the ER. Feel free to add me! I'm new here and looking for people in similar situations.
  • johnjohngarcia
    johnjohngarcia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    32 year old nurse working 12 hour shifts. Been on this site about 43 days now. Anyone out there feel free to add me.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wow look at all of these nurses! Love it. I go to school 40 hours a week for my RN (almost have my LPN) and I also work FT at a local hospital as a tech. Fun times! Add me if you'd like