I lost my dog (Photo heavy)

Options
Tonnina
Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
No, you can't put up posters for this kind of lost. Jake Boy died on February 9th at 5pm. He was 13 years old and spent 12 of his years in a loving home with my parents and I. He was my parent's 4th kid. He was an amazing soul.
His "baby photo" Shortly after we brought him home:
puppy.jpg
Jake was found by my Ma when he was just over a year old. He had road rash, was skinny as all get out and had a huge gash on his head. My mom took him in while she was on her lunch break at her old job where she worked with kids. She asked her boss if she could put him in the small fenced in play area (for the kids) and her boss said yes. Ma walked this stray dog through a room for toddlers. The stray had to lick every single kid's face.
smile.jpg
He ended up at the no kill shelter for 5 days, when no one claimed him, they called my Ma. Ma took him to the vet to be looked over and "fixed" We were told he was under fed, looked as though he was thrown out of a moving car, and was hand shy. He was prescribed a good 2 weeks of feedings and some rest and love. Jake came home and was amazing.
likepeople.jpg
He was sweet and loving but had a few quirks. He didn't like to have hands over his head, even for pets. He still had this hand shy-ness until his last day. He loves cars and hates to leave them. He HATED water, bath time was always crazy. He never ate nor drank when he was chained outside. Granted he wasn't chained outside often, but even when he had a lot of food and water available, he wanted nothing to do with it.
kisses.jpg
He was house broken when we got him. He knew sit, down, speak, and shake. We taught him to "army crawl" and shake with his other paw as well as give high fives. He never was hungry again. Never missed a crumb and never skipped an offered treat.
background.jpg
Jake died because we put him to sleep so he wouldn't have to suffer from the pain he was experiencing with Jaundice. This is the last photo I took of him. Poor old man was cold, so I covered him up.
sleepy.jpg

Replies

• amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No words to say except I am sorry for your loss and glad that he ended up with a good home!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sleep safe in the knowledge that he enjoyed 12/13ths of his life thanks to you and your family :)
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    jake sounded like a very special boy.
    i am so sorry for your loss.
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful companion. I am sorry for your loss.
  • I am so sorry that Jake is no longer with you and your family. I'm sure Jake knew how much he was loved.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful tribute - Jake was a very lucky boy - I'm so sorry for your loss
  • aworkma6
    Options
    How wonderful that you were able to give him a full and happy life. Sorry for your loss.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Tonnina,
    I am really ,really sorry for you and your family's loss. Truely.... How are ya'll all doing with it. Geez, I know it's rough. I've been there. We have a blue pit. It was my Daddy's and she was 11 monthes when he died. He ask me to take her and I am SOOO glad we did. Her name is Speck. Wishing you peace through a really hard time.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Aw, I'm so sorry! Jake looks like a happy, spoiled pup who lived a long good life. It's never easy to let them go ((hugs))
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathies!! We recenlty lost our beloved cat, he was with us for 10 years. Got out and we think coyotes got him. They do leave such a whole in our hearts, don't they.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    So sorry--beautiful dog--
  • musikalmami237
    musikalmami237 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Seems like you had an amazing dog... that is now watching over you all the time :)
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Lovely...a great tribute and a loving gift to make his passing easier! Bless you!
  • lnicole1625
    lnicole1625 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful story you shared about your time with him. He was very lucky to have had such wonderful people who took him in and cared for him. Losing a pet is hard. I have lost a few in my lifetime and it was difficult. Although it is hard to lose them, I would not trade the years of love and happiness we gave each other. So sorry :(
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. He looked like a sweet soul
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That was a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. My dog is like my second child and I dread the day he passes on.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You and your family gave Jake heaven on earth. I am convinced after, having been involved in pitbull rescue on and off for a few years (the results of abominable cruelty -- the capacity for cruelty towards animals -- I have seen would make a man faint), that a rescued dog (and cats) know and appreciate their good life with a loving family.

I lost my Bridget over two years ago. She was nearly 15. As much as I love my Bonnie, a rescued pit from a fighting ring, I think of Bridget and recall our years together fondly. And I am sure you will do the same.

As painful as it is to loose Jake, he is still in the arms of bountiful love. Sometime, when you and your family are ready, you will find another dog companion. He or she will not replace Jake, but their love and affection, their place in your family will be as special.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a wonderful 12 years with you and your family. He sure was a lucky boy to have known so much love.
  • deejay7806
    deejay7806 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    sorry for ur loss....what a beautiful story.... read whilst wipin a small tear away.... sounds an amazin dog.... but he had sum wonderful years with u....
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    An absolutely beautiful dog and soul.....♥