Running Shoes Conundrum

Options
124»

Replies

• dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I will give you my exp. from my local running store, I was so excited, I just really started out running and wanted good shoes, and everyone was telling me, go get fitted, best thing you can do!! so i did, the owner did it took like an hour trying on different shoes, but it felt like he was pushing one shoe really hard, saying it looked best. even though I said it was way way too big. Oh when you run your feet are gonna swell, you will thank me he said, ( now when I say big, I mean big, I am female, I take a 8.5 and everyday shoes, this pair he had me in were a MENS 10. I had no idea they were a MENS, he said they where womans, that they run large) So I went home and ran in them tried to break them in, but since they were so large my arches never lined up... my feet killed everytime. So I took them back, each time I was told to give it more time. Until the last time I went they said the date had past to return them. I will NEVER NEVER go back..

Now the good news From being fitted I did learn what to look for in a good shoe, what kind of shoe I need and that I need a Womens size 10( in some brands). And to never just try on one shoe, get both and run around the store no matter how stupid you look...
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I will give you my exp. from my local running store, I was so excited, I just really started out running and wanted good shoes, and everyone was telling me, go get fitted, best thing you can do!! so i did, the owner did it took like an hour trying on different shoes, but it felt like he was pushing one shoe really hard, saying it looked best. even though I said it was way way too big. Oh when you run your feet are gonna swell, you will thank me he said, ( now when I say big, I mean big, I am female, I take a 8.5 and everyday shoes, this pair he had me in were a MENS 10. I had no idea they were a MENS, he said they where womans, that they run large) So I went home and ran in them tried to break them in, but since they were so large my arches never lined up... my feet killed everytime. So I took them back, each time I was told to give it more time. Until the last time I went they said the date had past to return them. I will NEVER NEVER go back..

Now the good news From being fitted I did learn what to look for in a good shoe, what kind of shoe I need and that I need a Womens size 10. And to never just try on one shoe, get both and run around the store no matter how stupid you look...

Sounds like the salesperson wasn't too competent. I'm surprised you are even wearing a women's 10. I thought the most you would ever go up is 0.5. That's the recommendation for when I was buying a pair of Saucony's online.
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    When I got my shoes fitted they told me these are the shoes you need. We prefer you buy them here but if you don't please just get them. Or it may result in damaging your feet.

The sales person's honesty alone made me want to buy them there.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, what better time to start minimalist than right at the beginning so you don't have to unlearn all the bad form later. Also, when someone is just starting out there is little danger of running too far in them before the feet adapt.

I totally agree with this. I'm in week 3 of a couch to 5k program... I've never run before as an adult. At 42 I discovered Five Fingers shoes and started walking in them... after a few weeks of that, I felt good enough that I thought I could run... even at 300+ pounds. Now 8 runs into the program, my feet, calves and knees feel better than they have in years.

I'm so glad I started wearing five fingers before I started running instead of having to re-learn how to run.
  • jasonkiely
    Options
    So that brings me to the question...what do people who shop for shoes online do to find the appropriate shoes?

First go and consult a podiatrist. Then go and buy the recommended shoe online.

A running stores gait analysis is largely worthless. Go and see someone who trained at University for this type of thing. An appointment is not expensive and you do not need a referral from your doctor.

Really, it will be the best thing you have ever done for your running.
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was reading this post yesterday and was considering whether or not to go get the gait analysis done for running shoes...then voila! this morning there is a living social deal for a $50 voucher to the New Balance running store! So if anyone in the South East Pennsylvania area are considering buying running shoes, you can spend $25 for a $50 voucher, not a bad deal if you were planning to buy special running shoes anyway.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/257178?ref=conf-jp&rpi=48087498
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A running stores gait analysis is largely worthless.

That has NOT AT ALL been my experience, nor the experience of virtually everyone I know who has gone to a quality shop with knowledgeable staff for a fitting.
  • jasonkiely
    Options

That has NOT AT ALL been my experience, nor the experience of virtually everyone I know who has gone to a quality shop with knowledgeable staff for a fitting.

Ever been to a Podiatrist?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could be upfront with the people at your local store - tell them you aren't ready to buy today but you want to know what price range you need to look in and want to try on some shoes. And ask them if they can give a discount - the store I went to seems damn expensive to me, but they will knock off $30 or $40 in a heartbeat. They are still expensive though - over $200 for running shoes. But, I love to run and it's money well spent.
    One of these day though, I'm going to travel to the US where I can buy "expensive" shoes for $100!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Ever been to a Podiatrist?

Nope