124»

Replies

• angraham2
    Options
    Soda Pop products. Anything fizzy.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    I am giving up bread and soda.

I usually only have soda if I go out somewhere, but I found I have been going out lots on purpose. So now, no soda and no bread.
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in lint nor do I believe in intentionally giving up something for some ridiculous reason. But if you do, I'd give up something very important to you. Self-inflicted punishment is so unhealthy.

Ridiculous reason....really? :noway:
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in lint nor do I believe in intentionally giving up something for some ridiculous reason. But if you do, I'd give up something very important to you. Self-inflicted punishment is so unhealthy.

Well last I checked, "lint" was a furry substance that comes out of the dryer. Giving something up for a while is healthy as long as it's not water or something you need to survive. I've given up sweets, sodas, alcohol, sex, meat and a host of other things. My favorite though has definitely been condiments and toppings. It makes food a lot less exciting, and a burger is so much less enjoyable without cheese, onions, pickles, etc! I actually lost a bunch of weight doing it too, which was a hidden bonus.
  • collarbonescollarbones
    Options
    Chocolate is my usual :) Makes the easter eggs I may get at the the all the more worth it!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    A few years back I gave up being Catholic and now I attend an inter-denominational Christian church. No more Lent and meat on Fridays FTW! :drinker:
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    what's something you spend a lot of money on on a daily or weekly basis?

I spend most my money on gas. I could give up going to work then.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol for Lent, and also until I hit 165 lbs...I have 20 lbs to go. I also plan on running everyday for 40 days, in addition to my regular workout schedule.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Superstition. Oh, and gluten. :smile:
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This may be a bit more than anyone wants to read but I thought I would pass it along anyway. I write and edit the newsletter for my church and here is part of what I put in the newsletter: Ash Wednesday, Feb 22, is the day Lent begins. It is a time of reflection, penitence and spiritual renewal before Easter (Resurrection Sunday). Lent ends at midnight on Holy Saturday, Sunday April 2 (Easter comes on a different date each year). This is not one demonination, this is all Christians - those who believe in Jesus Christ. What one does during the Lenten period should be a matter between a Christian and God. Some may "give up" something that is a hindrance to their spiritual life. The important thing is to make Lent a special time, a memorable time. A time so meaningful that it sets the tone for the rest of the entire year. At the very least it should be a time of sincere spiritual growth. (partly excerpt Vol 121, #2 Communications Resources,Inc.)fg
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I give up meat on Fridays...guess I'm going straight to hell :sad:
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This may be a bit more than anyone wants to read but I thought I would pass it along anyway. I write and edit the newsletter for my church and here is part of what I put in the newsletter: Ash Wednesday, Feb 22, is the day Lent begins. It is a time of reflection, penitence and spiritual renewal before Easter (Resurrection Sunday). Lent ends at midnight on Holy Saturday, Sunday April 2 (Easter comes on a different date each year). This is not one demonination, this is all Christians - those who believe in Jesus Christ. What one does during the Lenten period should be a matter between a Christian and God. Some may "give up" something that is a hindrance to their spiritual life. The important thing is to make Lent a special time, a memorable time. A time so meaningful that it sets the tone for the rest of the entire year. At the very least it should be a time of sincere spiritual growth. (partly excerpt Vol 121, #2 Communications Resources,Inc.)fg

amen!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up bread, pasta, all forms of chips, and beer. These things are a hinderance to my health and a few days after Easter we are off to Hawaii so....
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Most of the past 5-6 years I've given up carbonated beverages, as Lent seems to be the only time that I actually am able to give them up and sometimes it lasts for 12-18+ months. Likely doing so again this year as I am back to drinking an unacceptable amount.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing with others what you're doing during Lent. If your point is that Christians shouldn't walk around shouting, "I"m a good person because I'm not drinking soda during Lent", then I agree with you. Other than the few comments in here mocking Lent, I think most were sincere in sharing what their plans are and not just trying to look self righteous.