Does black caffeinated coffee count as daily water

Options

Replies

• I1ahunt
    Options
    The bottom line is you can find the answer YOU want to hear to almost any qeustion on the interenet.......that doesn't make it right.......You along with your trainer and physician need to decide what is best for you and not worry to much about every study that posts it results on a web page. I said it before and I will say it over and over again...only you can decide what is best for you. Wht worked for your spouse, cousin, friend, brother co worker etc will not necesarrily be what is best for you.

I belong to a number of online communities and it awlays amazes me when these types of arguments break out on the message boards....."Yes it is heres an article"...."No it's not here's a different article"........... wake up and make big boy or big girl decisions and stop looking at crap that someone typed into wikipedia or some other foulable source for magic answers.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    No. Water is water. If it is black and has caffeine in it, then it is coffee.

This is wrong. Science is science. Read the article I posted.

I really wish people on this site would stop posting things that are scientifically wrong.

Scientists will say anything that the politicians giving them their funding tell them to say.
    ****ing hell.....*shake my head*
  • It's quite simple, actually. Water is water. Everything else... Well, isn't water. Yes, it may contain water, but is it purely water? No. But hey, that's just me. I only count my water as my water intake, everything else is extra.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I found this out about a month ago with a similar post. It comes down to an approximate 50/50 split in opinions; doesn't matter if you ask doctors or your every day person. The next poster is going to discredit/disagree with the previous one and any valid (i.e. not someone's opinion) is forgotten and not posted. Do what you feel is best for you.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Typically, anything with caffeine in it is likely to dehydrate you, and to drink equal amounts of water. My vote is on no, it's not part of your daily water.

THIS ^^^^^ It willa ctually dehydrate you and you will need to drink more water to compensate.
  • phinners
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

Why the 8 glasses of water a day is a MYTH:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
    Mate, you can bang your head against a brick wall on this forum, no one listens to sense. I'm a medical scientist and no will take a damn word I say with any expertise whatsoever. You're fighting a painful pointless fight even armed with heavy evidence.

*sigh*

That's what happens when people force science down people's throats in a condescending manner with arrogance.
    Some people are so closed off to anything outside of any gossip they've heard or some trash rag paper they've read that no expert in the land can make them understand that what they think is actually incorrect.

10 years I've been a scientist and 10 years on I am still reading this crap from people. People study these sorts of things all the time, it's what they do and yet no one believes it...arghhhh
  • pace4me
    pace4me Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    oops... the hilarous and true was about the comment of science and politicians working together for the almighty dollar. Wow... lots of differing views on coffee and water. I log coffee as coffee and water as water. Doesn't it seem that it is different strokes for different folks and that we should log how our heart convicts us and not knock or belittle others for logging something different?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No. Water is water. If it is black and has caffeine in it, then it is coffee.

This is wrong. Science is science. Read the article I posted.

I really wish people on this site would stop posting things that are scientifically wrong.

So you are saying that "scientifically" black caffeineted water is not coffee?

Because I'm pretty sure that a chemical reaction transpires when you heat the water to a particular temperature. At which time, the molecules of the water combines with the molecules of the coffee bean... thus resulting in an entirely new substance. Some water might be acquired by drinking the new substance, but a chemical reaction in the body must take place to separate the water molecules from the coffee molecules. Just because one of the original ingredients is water does not mean that you have not chemically changed the water.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Count whatever you want..."water", fluids, whatever. You will know if you need more...you will be thirsty. It doesn't have to be this hard...really! :happy:
  • phinners
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.

Your doctor told you soda counts as water? Really?

Yea, I'm confused by this as well. I don't see how a medical professional would say that a beverage that is pure sugar and chemicals could count as water?
    is it not made with water? Is the largest component not water? What is it then? Wood???

These drinks can count as a water intake.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

Why the 8 glasses of water a day is a MYTH:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
    Mate, you can bang your head against a brick wall on this forum, no one listens to sense. I'm a medical scientist and no will take a damn word I say with any expertise whatsoever. You're fighting a painful pointless fight even armed with heavy evidence.

*sigh*

That's what happens when people force science down people's throats in a condescending manner with arrogance.
    Some people are so closed off to anything outside of any gossip they've heard or some trash rag paper they've read that no expert in the land can make them understand that what they think is actually incorrect.

10 years I've been a scientist and 10 years on I am still reading this crap from people. People study these sorts of things all the time, it's what they do and yet no one believes it...arghhhh

This isn't gossip. This has become common knowledge and even experts have been saying it. Do you really blame normal people for not knowing the scientific truth?

And it appears most people don't actually read the other posts when they respond, which is why people keep saying that it does dehydrate you despite the links being posted.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.

Yea, I'm confused by this as well. I don't see how a medical professional would say that a beverage that is pure sugar and chemicals could count as water?

Because a doctor is looking at it from a "dehydrated state" Yes sodas , filled with chemicals and sugar, can rehydrate in a proper amount. along with the chemicals and sugars it also has water in it. Thus it would rehydrate a person, if that is all one had to drink. Water is better, but soda {in the absence of other choices} would rehydrate also.
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    No nock to any of your Scientists or Doctors or Physical Trainers, But half of the problem is even in your communities you don;t agree most of the time......just saying :drinker:
  • ShannonMarie81
    Options
    technically for every cup of coffee you have, you should be drinking an extra cup of water bc the coffee dehydrates you .

THIS!!
  • ShannonMarie81
    Options
    I count Water as Water...keeps it pretty simple!
  • phinners
    Options
    No nock to any of your Scientists or Doctors or Physical Trainers, But half of the problem is even in your communities you don;t agree most of the time......just saying :drinker:
    This is true, and that is the great thing about being in science - you do disagree a lot about things. But luckily we know horse**** when we see it!

As long as none of you guys give credence to Gillian McKeith, all is toasty :) She is a medical and scientific nuisance! OMG
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Your body is able to separate the water from anything that is dissolved in it. When you eat or drink anything it goes to your GI system and is digested and broken down into various nutrients and then absorbed in to the blood stream. The substances that are not absorbed (like fibre) exit through your bowels. Thus, the water that is in your coffee is absorbed into your bloodstream as water. There is not a separate tube system for "pure" water and another for coffee/tea/pop/juice etc. Therefore, all beverages containing water can count as water because that is how your body processes them.
  • phinners
    Options

Because a doctor is looking at it from a "dehydrated state" Yes sodas , filled with chemicals and sugar, can rehydrate in a proper amount. along with the chemicals and sugars it also has water in it. Thus it would rehydrate a person, if that is all one had to drink. Water is better, but soda {in the absence of other choices} would rehydrate also.
    Which is exaclty why the stores of full of such drinks. Isotonic sodas, and balance rehydrate drinks etc etc...full of sugar and other chemicals. Still water based and still count as fluids.
  • phinners
    Options
    Your body is able to separate the water from anything that is dissolved in it. When you eat or drink anything it goes to your GI system and is digested and broken down into various nutrients and then absorbed in to the blood stream. The substances that are not absorbed (like fibre) exit through your bowels. Thus, the water that is in your coffee is absorbed into your bloodstream as water. There is not a separate tube system for "pure" water and another for coffee/tea/pop/juice etc. Therefore, all beverages containing water can count as water because that is how your body processes them.
    Post of the thread for sure!

Big up to the kidneys!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    3cd8a33a.png?1306264975