How long can I run?

Options
124»

Replies

• jsnearly
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about running as much as just keeping your heart rate up in the fat burning zone. Running when you are heavier also puts more strain and pounding on your joints. Keep your heart rate up during exercise and slowly work your way into jogging as you lose the weight. You'll do great!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the year (so less than 2 months ago lol) I was 220lbs and I could probably go about 20 seconds as well. I started just running as much as I could and walking inbetween. I couldn't start the C25K program b/c a minute was out of reach for me. After about a month I made it to the point where I could go for about 5-6 minutes without stopping. I'm on week 2 of c25k now and I love it.
    My advice:
    Go slow...don't push yourself too hard...that's when injuries happen (I've tried running so many times before, and this is the longest I've gone without hurting myself)
    Don't feel like you have to run a marathon to call it jogging. Do only what it possible for you (but don't be afraid to push yourself a little)
    Running outside is so much more interesting than a treadmill...and if you don't have to hit the stop button or adjust the speed you're less likely to push yourself too hard. (but I understand some people feel more comfortable, don't have a good place to run outside, weather...all good reasons to go for a treadmill)

Feel free to add me...I don't claim to be an expert at running, but I've been there