Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My poops never float. :( /research
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I actually heard the opposite, though I will have to look up the study again. I heard the more protein you have in your diet then your waste is more likely to sink.

I guess maybe it just depends on what your goals are... I'd rather have a high protein diet then one that is high in fat.

Either way, I have quite a large list of other factors to judge my weight loss on before turning to the toilet...
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    neither do mine 99% of the time wtf does that mean
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on what you are passing. If you eat a low fat diet, the poo isn't going to float! In fact, a fiber-dense, water dense diet will often make them sink, but it's not a bad thing.
    My understanding is that effort to make said poo leave your body is a better indicator in many ways than whether it floats or not. It shouldn't hurt, nor should you have to push hard to go. The kind of poo experience you want is one where you have to go, you go in, sit on the john, maybe give a little kickstart, and it feels tiny, but when you look (as we all know we do!) it's a surprisingly bulky food baby. Consistency and effort are two big signs regarding health.
    I would hate to see people in essence overdosing on calcium because their poo still won't float! Just based on this advice alone... They should be regularly timed and easy to pass. If you struggle to pass BMs, you need to up your water, particularly if you are already at your fiber goals. If you exceed your fiber goals and can't take in much water, you'll want to scale back because there is such a thing as too much. AT LEAST once a day, if not a couple times (as long as regular and not sickly) is good, and will indeed happen after you monitor and regulate your fiber.

Anyway, I'm like many other people, I completely ignore Dr. Oz. I hear too many fad-tastic things about him! I don't even know what he looks like! The only TV show about health that has ever helped me was The Doctors, and that was because they addressed a rare condition that I had been dealing with but didn't know there were others.
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me months ago our bodies usually burns fat and does not poop it out. He explained that when the body does poop fat and other toxins out, is when we our burning to much fat for our bodies to keep up with. So he told us if we ever come across a yellow stool not to be alarmed. He said there was evidence of fat in yellow stools. The doctor I am going to treats diseases like diabetes, people who are obese and he does weight loss surgeries as well. He has so much awesome information in his office. I don't know anything about Dr. OZ. Other then famous people seem to rant about him. I have only heard mixed things about him when hearing his name.

Also my doctor said cabbage was great for us in helping us lose weight. I tried it and sure enough! I always thought my grandma was crazy when doing a home made veggie soup with no meat with lots of cabbage, when she would be on a diet. I guess some of the back in the day methods did work. I always heard gas is what makes poop float. As will as it can be a sign of cancer or gallbladder problems.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's gas that makes faeces float not fat content.

This is what I was told by a GI Dr when I went to a class re: my gall bladder.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    What if it goes 'clink?'

I dont know about you, but for me thats usually just my nuts hitting the edge of the bowl.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I actually laughed at the timliness of this post. I have noticed recently, after a couple weeks of continous losses on the scale, that my "movements" have all of a sudden started floating! I wondered about that. I guess it's a good thing then, lol!
  • macspud
    Options
    Hahaha, maybe you lost your keys..............
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    obviously i'm not promoting overdosing on calcium but somebody in MFP did advise me that some experts advise drinking chocolate milk after exercise as it contains the right mix of protein ect
  • aeberly01
    aeberly01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh but I just downloaded an app to track this today. I have basically IBS for 12 years because nobody has bothered to figure it out.

You need to eat more fiber. The first time I was told to eat more fiber I thought that person was CRAZY!! I thought it would make more go more. Then I discussed it with my Dr and he explained that fiber will absorb the excess liquid and help make it more solid and easier to control. I increased my fiber and it totally is better. I can always tell when I've let my fiber intake get to low, and it's miserable!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    what if it takes 2 or 3 flushes, a local witchdoctor and a small group outside your bathroom window chanting words of encouragement as well as a toilet cistern mounted in the ceiling, just to let get gravity get thst extra "ooomph" behind it, is that just me or do others have the same daily experience about 8 times a day??
    OMG! Is this my husband? Honestly babe you could have told me that you were going online with your poop stories.
    Smooch love ya
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The 100 is the percentage of your recommended daily requirement.. not mgs.
  • HappyHeart1993
    HappyHeart1993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Could poop that floats also be an indicator of a diet low in fat? I mean, if you aren't taking it in, you're not going to expel it, either, right? Hmmm.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I was taking my nutrition classes one professor made the statement, "if it's a sinker, it's a stinker!" LOL
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a quack.. but I love any conversation about poo.. Cheers!! :drinker:
  • sharonkshea
    Options
    I have never noticed my poop floating! Maybe that's why I'm fat! LOL
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    What a coincidence I went and got some calcium with vitamin d this morning. I don't take no vitamins but someone looked at my splitting nails and said it was a calcium shortage. So worth a try.

So need to watch for floating poop.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Again, because people seem to be not understanding. Your body does NOT burn fat in your intestines. Also, nothing in your body other than food goes into your intestines, it's a one way trip, food is digested, and nutrients are absorbed. There is no way in the world that calcium will somehow grab stored fat out of your body and magically teleport it into your colon to be pooped out.

What's happening is the fat and calcium that you eat are binding together, and instead of your body absorbing and making use of them, it's just eliminating them. In other words, all that will happen is you end up becoming calcium deficient, and deficient in essential fatty acids. If anything, I'd say this finding is more of a huge negative, and not some magic weight loss trick from the moronic Dr. Oz.