Floating poop leads to weight loss

Options
12346»

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Actually poop doesn't float due to fat, it actually floats due to gas inside it!!!!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I think poop is an excellent way to chart your health. I had a girl tell me once that she NEVER looks at her poop. Come on - seriously? How can you not!? It is like your body's diary!

I know right? I snap pics of it with my phone and text it to all of my closest friends.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that Doc Oz is a media *kitten* and each week he seems to have some new miracle fat loss diet. Yikes. Too much calcium can lead to kidney stones. Have fun passing those out! I've heard that high fiber makes your poop float. Who knows. I swear, Oz will do anything for ratings.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    What if it goes 'clink?'

I dont know about you, but for me thats usually just my nuts hitting the edge of the bowl.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, just laughed out loud at that at least ten times.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Oh my...the things I entertain myself with on MFP.

The day after St. Patty's day is always fun poop!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    From article: Dr. Oz was once again on Oprah this week. As usual, he had a ton of new and interesting, traditionally gross-ish research to share. Floating poop ranks right up there in all three categories.

Recently a study was conducted where the subjects were placed on a highly controlled yet moderate diet, which was low in calcium for one week. At the end of the week, each subject 'contributed' some doo in a jar as their sample to be analyzed. (Imagine doing that!) The next week, subjects were placed on the exact diet except this time tweaked it to provide the subjects with 1200 mg of calcium each day, which is ideal for adults. At the end of the week, once again they had the pleasure of providing a sample.

The poo samples were frozen, dried, turned into a pill, and then crushed (hate to be that scientist). The samples were then analyzed. The study showed that by the end of week two, the high calcium week...the subjects samples contained 100% more fat than the previous week. Which means, calcium is an excellent transporter of fat. Ideally, we'd prefer to expel the fat we consume rather than absorb it. This in the long run, will help lead to weight loss.

Dr. Oz recommends low fat dairy products and/or calcium supplements to achieve the desired 1200 mg of calcium recommended daily. Oh! And about the floating poop thing...poop carrying fat will float. Poop that sinks does not. Won't it be fun for you to keep tabs on that?
    http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/09/20/floating-poop-leads-to-weight-loss/

:huh: Had to post this topic because the headline was so funny to me. But what do you think of the findings?

Oh for heavens sake... It doesn't mean calcium is transporting fat. Was the calcium in the feces too? That's the only way it would be 'transporting fat'. Otherwise... maybe it reduces uptake of fat... maybe maybe.

But the whole point of a calcium supplement is to get the calcium INSIDE you where it can be used to maintain bone density among other things.

:(

I really hate Dr. Oz.

I don't suppose you've got a reference for the article he was referencing? I'd love to take a look at it.

And... by the way... I'm not being snarky at you. I just really hate Dr. Oz and his failure to give his 'layperson' audience information that is actually useful and correct. Even if he is correct in this case (I won't know unless I do the research), what did he accomplish by sharing the info he shared? Now you're going to have a whole bunch of folks doubling and tripling their calcium dose, way above FDA recommended values, because they think it will make them poop fat and they think pooping fat is going to make them skinny.

All I have is what I posted. I kind of thought it was funny and was a joke on a group on faceobook I am in so wanted to share. I have never watched Dr. Oz in my life. :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My poop often speaks to me and tells me bogus things about weight loss. Oh no wait, sorry, I am mixing Dr. Oz up with poop again. My bad...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Crap, I always thought it was better to be a sinker! My poop app tells me mine is consistent with a vegetarian diet. My mom told me a few years ago that she saw a piece on the news about calcium binding to fat, but I never looked into it. Thanks for the laughs!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The Poop Name List

(copied and pasted from a funny web site)

I laughed so hard I was crying!!! I think I lost my a** from laughing so hard! That's great! Wish I could laugh my thighs and stomach off! But, now how will I poop??????

OMG! HAVE GOT to copy that!!!!
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    just google Dr and poop it will probably come up...
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One good authority on poop and weight loss is the English nutritionist Gillian McKeith, whose show, You Are What You Eat, used to be on BBC America. She actually obtained poop samples from her program participants and talked a lot about what poop should (and should not) look like, smell like, etc.

I recall from her show that a quality poop should float, be intact and long, and not smell too much. Her books are interesting, I checked out a few from the library but think some of her food recommendations are a little unrealistic.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Remind me of the show about 'the worst jobs' .
    You know there are dog poop tasters that work out dog food companies?

Now I can why there are articles saying drinking milk help with the weight loss.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Remind me of the show about 'the worst jobs' .
    You know there are dog poop tasters that work out dog food companies?

:noway:
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bingo.. my poo never floated until I started taking in 25-30 grams of fiber a day..
  • JanuaryJan
    Options
    LOL this is all hilarious.

Dr. Barry Sears of the Zone Diet states in his book that you will know you're in the "ZONE" when your poop floats!

Apparently, I am not in the Zone right now. LOL :indifferent:

Gives a whole new meaning to "zoning out" though doesn't it? lol :laugh:

Person outside the bathroom door to the person who has been in there a long time: "Hey what are you doing in there??? Zoning out?!"

Yes it takes small things to amuse me. :ohwell:
  • birdieintx
    Options
    I wonder how many people sitting around washing Dr. Oz decided based on his recommendations to order their Big Macs with extra cheese and a super size milkshake. More calcium wooohoo!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think poop is an excellent way to chart your health. I had a girl tell me once that she NEVER looks at her poop. Come on - seriously? How can you not!? It is like your body's diary!

lol!! I agree! I was telling my sister about this and she said I was nuts. I also look for in the front, to make sure everything is all nice and clean down there :laugh:

OP interesting!!