Restaurants to Avoid!

Options

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This is sad: Man suffers heart attack while eating at Heart Attack Grill

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-suffers-heart-attack-while-eating-heart-attack-185717972.html?fb_action_ids=337265826318801,2912051838249,2710955856659,336957279682989,10100679568486249&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQCUk3mwZGgioKSamsKh4yecfeMrs7a-eveXO-gW-Hj9O-jh7-U2DYCmKdlBGsOP8GvXMO5yBvW-1Gne3m2fNXVgloS5BpCKGlVeQsqiSkYSyZwWxVNhdmzOwACzsR-eI3IqL7ZbSYwpVm_aVap_72HjNhrPFYJA0hOfhpbTZdaXLtrJ3vR9LldTLTcOEberoCM#_=_

The menu includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", and "Quadruple Bypass" hamburgers,[1] ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories)

The Quadruple Bypass Burger with 8,000 calories (33 MJ) has been identified as one of the "world's worst junk foods".[11] It consists of four half-pound beef patties, eight slices of American cheese, a whole tomato and half an onion served in a bun coated with lard.

Normal meals at the Heart Attack Grill easily exceed 8,000 calories.

That is horrible and that restaurant should be outlawed. It's not funny or cute to sell things so horrible for people. At the same time, people should be smart enough to never have walked in their door.

Outlaw a restaurant? SERIOUSLY?
    Since when should the government be allowed to tell me what to eat or not eat? I think this restaurant is fantastic! I may not go there, but that certainly does not mean it should not exist. If no one wanted such a meal the place would shut down within a month due to no business. Free Market, baby. You need to relax.

LOL That incident occurred here at the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas. I don't think they actually said whether the man had a heart attack or not. If you're over 350 pounds, you can eat for free. And they also sell unfiltered cigarettes, but I don't think you can smoke them there. Smoking is no longer allowed in restaurants here.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    IHOP and Denny's have some options under 500 cals...they aren't too bad. Macaroni Grill is up there with Olive Garden.

the one thing at Denny's that blows my mind is that on their "healthy" food list they have banana pecan pancakes...which I ate the other day...they are fantastic...they are also 800 cals. Not healthy by any means.

The Fit Slam from Denny's is pretty good, and under 400 calories. They serve it with a nice helping of fresh fruit.

The Banana Pecan pancakes are absolutely wonderful, and they are higher in calories. But to be fair, they don't advertise them as being low-calorie but low-fat. They are extremely filling, tho...
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Also Red Robin, it has an online menu to specifically help you customize and tailor your sandwich to your nutritional content. It works pretty well and you can get a decent hamburger for a decent amount of calories. Of course that excludes the limitless fries. :embarassed:
    I LOVE this about Red Robin's site. You can add or delete any ingredient in your dish to completely customize your order, and it will give you the calories and nutritional info for only what you consumed, rather than trying to figure it out when you specialize your order. And, as most restaurants will do these days (even the fast food ones), you can get their burgers bunless, which comes with lettuce on the top and bottom of your burger instead of the bun. Cuts WAY back on calories.

Jimmy John's does the same thing...I looove that! And panera w/ the calories on the menu

I've just tried to 'avoid' eating out in general...I think it's easier for me to just eat what I want when I'm making it myself. (I'm just learning to cook more than a grilled cheese, so it's exciting for me haha). The few times I've gone out since starting here I've tried to look for lower calorie options, and also to just eat partial bits of things I loove (Like the rolls at texas roadhouse mmmmmm)
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

wanna bet?
    lets starts with the whole appetizer arguement, an app can be quite filling. Ive watched many guests come in the restaurant, buy one, split it and say they were full. As for salad, it is possible to eat one without dressing, not as appealing for sure, but very possible and filling.

Lastly, try linguine alla marinara, venetian apricot chicken, and capellini pomodoro (lunch portion), and much much more are under 500 calories.
    Heres a link for more since you don't seem to believe me: http://www.olivegardennutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?rid=

Fair enough...

I'm still going to argue that any appetizer portion under 500 cal is not going to be filling for 90% of the population. And yes its possible to eat a salad without dressing...but disgusting.

I have never seen the linguine alla marinara...i may try it if we have it around here. I realized I forgot about the capellini...I've had it and thought it was disgusting so I think I just counted that one out when I looked at the nutrition menu. As for the apricot chicken...I probably counted that out too just because it doesn't sound like my thing.

So yes...there are (very few) healthier options available. Olive Garden is still one of the least healthy places to eat.

And for the record...I'll still eat there...I just don't worry about healthy eating when I go. I love the place.
    Personally I eat salads without dressing ((Just don't like it, it takes away the fresh veggie flavor)).. And I know a lot of people that can be full off of an app.

Also Olive Garden does have healthy options, you just prefer their non healthy options.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I avoid restaurants with past hepatitis outbreaks.

Don't really want a side of hep with my burger.
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell
    Burger King
    (the two nastiest fast food places)

Taco Bell is actually a major part of my current diet. I am travelling alot for my job and if I need to eat fast I find a Taco Bell. I get 3 Fresca soft tacos at 150 calories each and I have a quick on the go lunch for 450 calories that fills me up.
  • mikellsmom
    mikellsmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Waffle House...everything is cooked in butter and lots of it...
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    In general eating out is problematic due to high sodium and calories in most menu items. That said, I'm looking at many of the restaurants on this list and know for a fact that healthy or at least low cal food choices can be obtained. Put the onus on yourself to review the menu carefully and find the food choices which make sense for a healthy and fit lifestyle. Its not McNasty's fault if you go in there and order Big Mac with all the works, super size fry, apple pie and large Coke. If you must eat out and/or enjoy doing so as I do then order in a fit & healthy fashion. If you can't resist the temptation to binge when you eat out then stay out of restaurants.

I can not agree more! I eat out probably more than I should and I have been to almost every place listed here and have came out just fine! I educate myself with the menu and go from there.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    In general eating out is problematic due to high sodium and calories in most menu items. That said, I'm looking at many of the restaurants on this list and know for a fact that healthy or at least low cal food choices can be obtained. Put the onus on yourself to review the menu carefully and find the food choices which make sense for a healthy and fit lifestyle. Its not McNasty's fault if you go in there and order Big Mac with all the works, super size fry, apple pie and large Coke. If you must eat out and/or enjoy doing so as I do then order in a fit & healthy fashion. If you can't resist the temptation to binge when you eat out then stay out of restaurants.

THIS!! I eat very well at both Olive Garden, Chili's and Flanigans. I stay well under my caloric intake and I feel full once I'm done. And that's eating breakfast and lunch, assuming I have one of those for dinner.
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Also Red Robin, it has an online menu to specifically help you customize and tailor your sandwich to your nutritional content. It works pretty well and you can get a decent hamburger for a decent amount of calories. Of course that excludes the limitless fries. :embarassed:
    I LOVE this about Red Robin's site. You can add or delete any ingredient in your dish to completely customize your order, and it will give you the calories and nutritional info for only what you consumed, rather than trying to figure it out when you specialize your order. And, as most restaurants will do these days (even the fast food ones), you can get their burgers bunless, which comes with lettuce on the top and bottom of your burger instead of the bun. Cuts WAY back on calories.

I love this too! Their chicken sandwiches are actually really good, and you can get those calories down pretty low without losing any of the flavor.
  • danihonline
    Options
    The great thing is that you can still enjoy almost all the food from these places, if you do a search online you can find lots of their recipes, but made healthier (also a great cookbooks like "Eat More Of What You Love" can't remember who wrote it, but I bought on QVC.com)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    This is sad: Man suffers heart attack while eating at Heart Attack Grill

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-suffers-heart-attack-while-eating-heart-attack-185717972.html?fb_action_ids=337265826318801,2912051838249,2710955856659,336957279682989,10100679568486249&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQCUk3mwZGgioKSamsKh4yecfeMrs7a-eveXO-gW-Hj9O-jh7-U2DYCmKdlBGsOP8GvXMO5yBvW-1Gne3m2fNXVgloS5BpCKGlVeQsqiSkYSyZwWxVNhdmzOwACzsR-eI3IqL7ZbSYwpVm_aVap_72HjNhrPFYJA0hOfhpbTZdaXLtrJ3vR9LldTLTcOEberoCM#_=_

The menu includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", and "Quadruple Bypass" hamburgers,[1] ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories)

The Quadruple Bypass Burger with 8,000 calories (33 MJ) has been identified as one of the "world's worst junk foods".[11] It consists of four half-pound beef patties, eight slices of American cheese, a whole tomato and half an onion served in a bun coated with lard.

Normal meals at the Heart Attack Grill easily exceed 8,000 calories.

That is horrible and that restaurant should be outlawed. It's not funny or cute to sell things so horrible for people. At the same time, people should be smart enough to never have walked in their door.

Why would you "outlaw" a restaurant? Is anyone forced to eat there, or to eat an 8000 calorie meal there? We can't legislate good choices, you have to make them for yourself. People do have the right to make bad choices. While it's clear that a burger with two pounds of meat and half a pound of cheese is a bad choice, not everything is that clear cut. There are some choices that some educated people consider bad choices that other equally educated people consider good choices. How do we decide which choices the government will enforce and which are a matter of choice?
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree that some of the onus is on the orderer, but that being said a couple weeks ago I went to McD's with a friend (so the kids could play) and being realtively new to MFP, decided to do the smart thing and plan ahead. I looked up their nutritional info online and was EXTREMELY dissapointed in even the salad's and how much fat was in there (lots was the drsg, extra's, etc.) . If I'm going to intake the fat, I may as well enjoy what I'm eating. I settled on a 6pc. chicken nugget meal, and still lost my avg. 2 lbs that week :) I will be trying to avoid restaurants for the most part while I'm doing the majority of my weightloss. If there's a social obligation, I will go and do my best, but I'm not going to make it a big stressful ordeal!
  • menglema
    Options
    When I tell myself NO, I fall off the healthy/workout wagon. So, I choose to limit portions instead.
  • FitLink
    Options

wanna bet?
    lets starts with the whole appetizer arguement, an app can be quite filling. Ive watched many guests come in the restaurant, buy one, split it and say they were full. As for salad, it is possible to eat one without dressing, not as appealing for sure, but very possible and filling.

Lastly, try linguine alla marinara, venetian apricot chicken, and capellini pomodoro (lunch portion), and much much more are under 500 calories.
    Heres a link for more since you don't seem to believe me: http://www.olivegardennutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?rid=

Fair enough...

I'm still going to argue that any appetizer portion under 500 cal is not going to be filling for 90% of the population. And yes its possible to eat a salad without dressing...but disgusting.

I have never seen the linguine alla marinara...i may try it if we have it around here. I realized I forgot about the capellini...I've had it and thought it was disgusting so I think I just counted that one out when I looked at the nutrition menu. As for the apricot chicken...I probably counted that out too just because it doesn't sound like my thing.

So yes...there are (very few) healthier options available. Olive Garden is still one of the least healthy places to eat.

And for the record...I'll still eat there...I just don't worry about healthy eating when I go. I love the place.

So it's the restaurant's fault that their low cal options are "not your thing?" The fact remains--most restaurants do have low cal options if you care to fact-check before going.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

You can make bad choices at Panera, sure, but in fairness, a you-pick-two with half a Smoked Turkey Breast sandwich and Chicken Noodle soup, plus an apple as the side, comes to 370 calories. Swap the soup for a Classic Cafe salad with Balsamic Vinigrette for the soup if you prefer, it has 130 calories. 370 calories. Even choose Asiago Roast Beef sandwich and and Vegetarian Black Bean soup is only 600 calories, and lots of choices are around 500 calories. It's really not fair to diss Panera because you CAN make bad choices there.

That's what I was thinking of! It's not the sierra turkey I would get when I worked next to panera it was the smoked turkey. Good stuff and low cal.

That's what I said. Smoked Turkey Breast Cafe Sandwich. 210 calories for the half sandwich with the You-Pick-Two. 80 calories for the Chicken Noodle Soup, and 80 calories for the apple. I drink brewed tea, unsweetened and with no lemon, so no added calories there.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    there are definitely some places that are worse than others. but you can get a salad at most places if all the entrees are bad and just request your dressing on the side or no dressing. most places have some kind of grilled chicken or if it's a burger can always just get nothing on it, just plain. there is usually a way around most restaurant's meals.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Applebee's....I swear they soak their food in ocean water! The cals may be low but my god the sodium levels are horrific. There is no reason for it either.....made my steak taste like crap!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people die in hospitals. I think we should outlaw hospitals!
  • amandamickey
    Options
    I try to avoid all restaurants! You never really know what you're getting. The nutritionals that are posted on their websites are not always accurate due to each person making the dishes differently. :grumble:

If you're really trying to keep track of what you eat, cook/eat at home. That way you can control everything.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :-)