Restaurants to Avoid!

Options

Replies

• CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Go out to have a meal that tastes delightful. Enjoy it. Budget your calories if you need to (you can average over two days, you know). Split a meal if you need to.

It it doesn't fill you with glee, cook for yourself. Quit being lazy and eating cheap greasy food that makes you feel bad about yourself because you can't be bothered to cook dinner or pack a lunch.

But do not "do without". There is nothing in this world that would keep me from having my favorite Ike's Place sandwich which I conservatively estimate to have 1,100 of the most delectable, drippy, ooey gooey, run down your arm kind of calories. Nothing.

Whether you're into wings or foie gras, you should be able to eat them without guilt. Otherwise life is not worth living without your favorite foods.

I agree with this!! I gave made a lifestyle change and REFUSE to eat anything I do not enjoy. I plan and budget and get what I want, evevn if it's a few bites or a whole meal. I want to be able to do this forever.

I just hit my 100 days today and I can honestly say I DO NOT feel deprived in anyway!!
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory seems to show up on a lot of listing as being loaded with calories but the food is great. The problem is the portion size. Answer: Eat half of what they give you and have the other half the next day. The problem was always me trying to eat it all at once. Now that I realize that I can go to any restaurant and eat my allotment of calories for that meal.

That being said then, I have to agree with Golden Corral (Hog Bar) being the worst. They charge you for sliding up to the trough 4 or 5 times and they don't let you take any home which is the case with any hog bar. However, the hog bars are a great place to go if you need to see a lot of "before pictures". Do you really want to have the gut a lot of those men have or the 3-level rear-end those women have? No.... that's why you are here on MFP to count the calories.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anywhere due to calories, fat, or sodium.
    If I want it, I eat it. Within reason and not daily.
    It's called life.

What I DO avoid are:
    Places that just feel "dirty".
    Places with crappy service.
    Places that are overpriced for the product and service you receive.
    (I'll pay anything if it's awesome and worth it)
    Places with sh!tty selection (of food AND beer)
    Places that refuse to customize if you ask a special request.

Have to add: if you're looking for a good beer selection, go to Buffalo Wild Wings! Never seen so many taps in one place!

Absolutely Agree!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    gotta go with Olive Garden and Chili's~~High calories, high sodium, no flexibility.
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    Red Robin (Yum...love it but its a calorie/fat killer)
    Arby's
    The only thing I eat there is a veggie burger wrapped in lettuce with no sauce :P
  • 7fin7
    7fin7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Panera's website also has a nutrition calculator that allows you to modify your meal to figure out what different choices will mean. It gets specific enough to tell you how removing the cheese or condiment from a sandwich will affect the nutirition.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Raising Cane's, *sigh* love, love, love it.....but no choices other than the beloved fried strips and sauce. Oh, and that BREAD.....*BIG sigh*:sad:
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Wild Wings! My once favorite place to eat. I have been there once without ordering wings and it was torture. I know if I go there today, I won't have the self-control to not order 8 boneless garlic wings and potato wedges. I'm sure I could substitute the wedges for a side salad but i would have to have the wings. The fat and sodium content is probably thru the roof, especially since i have to eat more to feel satisfied! Knowing that, I just avoid the place all together. Sigh
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how true it is, but the "Eat This Not That" books award Cheesecake factory for having the worst high calorie offenders. Supposedly even their healthy looking shrimp and pasta plate has a whopping 2000 cals or thereabouts.

Surprised at the Taco Bell comments. I know they're not healthy but their fresco menu has some of the lowest cal foods in the whole fast food industry.

And Panera? They're awesome! I love how they list the cals right up on the menu board. If you get a Pick 2 combo of the chicken noodle soup and the turkey sandwish you're well under 500 cals - a tasty tasty lunch!
  • KLK1986
    Options
    I eat at Golden Corral probably about 6x a year. It's doable if you have self-control. I eat from the salad bar first, then grab any other veggies I want. After that - meat. I eat little or no really carby things (mac and cheese, etc) and don't even look at the desert bar or just grab fruit (they usually have several kinds of melon). Really, anyone could eat there and stay under calories if they wanted to. Some people see potatoes, rice, deserts etc and feel like they have to have them. Train yourself to eat the other more healthy things and a buffet is a perfectly fine place to go for dinner once in a while.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bone Fish Grill and Carraba's

Unfortunately, two of my favorite places to eat but VERY difficult to get nutritional information because they "prepare their food fresh daily" or some lame excuse (on the web site) REALLY? You serve the same stuff, for the most part, what's so hard about putting out the numbers for all to see? Maybe they don't want us to know, lol!!

Drooling...I love...no adore Carrabbas! Chicken Bryan....is my love!
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Do all American restaurants list out the calories? that must be so helpful.

A LOT of places are beginning to now, and if it's not listed on the menu you can usually find calorie count online. Makes going out to eat sooo much easier.

It's a step in making America less fat...because let's face it, America is fat.

Not sure about the rest of U.S., but here in New York it's a law that restaurants that have more than one location must list the calorie counts on the menus and/or menu boards. I think it's based on how many miles apart, but not 100% percent sure. The chain restaurant's are required where as a small local restaurant with only one location would not be.

My most recent experiences would be TGI Friday's, nothing there under 1000 calories. Panera's I like, but what I like to eat is a calorie disaster so I don't go very often. Almost every Friendly's around me just closed, but I only liked to go there for ice cream.
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    I do not eat fast food, at all. I do not have an appetite for it. Although I do eat vegetarian sushi rolls! My parents force me to go to sit in restaurants and when we do I usual get a salad, with vinaigrette or no dressing. So far the only places I actually like eatting at are Kelseys which has a salad for 190 calories, and Moxies, they have a couple salads that are pretty darn good! not to mention it tastes more real then food ou get at other places.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anywhere due to calories, fat, or sodium.
    If I want it, I eat it. Within reason and not daily.
    It's called life.

What I DO avoid are:
    Places that just feel "dirty".
    Places with crappy service.
    Places that are overpriced for the product and service you receive.
    (I'll pay anything if it's awesome and worth it)
    Places with sh!tty selection (of food AND beer)
    Places that refuse to customize if you ask a special request.

Have to add: if you're looking for a good beer selection, go to Buffalo Wild Wings! Never seen so many taps in one place!

Even better than Buffalo Wild Wings is the WORLD OF BEER!! Lots of locations now and has awesome beer selections!!! and you can order food from a huge list of places and get whatever kind of food you want! It's awesome!

AVOID: Buffalo chicken salad at the 99--has OVER 1,000 calories for a salad!!!
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    The calories at most places are ridiculous but they are also usually listed for the entire dish and you're really only supposed to eat half of the dish. I don't limit myself, if I'm going to go eat some where I just make sure I have the calories there to do it. I only avoid places with ****ty service and nasty food/atmospheres
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think anything is off limits. It is a lifestyle change, not a diet so I can't imagine completely giving up every restaurant there is. I don't want to have the perfect body and not be able to go out and enjoy it over dinner with friends.

It is all about portions. You can order that high calorie meal, JUST DONT FINISH IT. You can always get grilled chicken wherever you go. Ask that they cook it differently or take off the sauce/dressing. Be prepared before you go.

It is all about adapting to your surroundings and making healthy choices wherever you are and in whatever situation you are in :)

I agree with everyone who is saying things like this!

Most places around here (maybe not universally?) do offer low-calorie options. Otherwise, just simple things like ordering the sauce on the side and using small amounts of it can help reduce the number of calories. Lots of places will also let you customize sides (eg: if something comes with fries and salad, I might ask for extra salad instead.)

If it's going to be too high in calories, I'll eat half and box the other half for later. If that's not going to be enough, I get a side salad as well.

Though, once in awhile, I'll just splurge and pig out. Everything in moderation and all that.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster! Man, can I really pack away all of that butter-soaked seafood. Don't even get me started on the caesar salad and tempting deserts. <drools>

Cheddar Bay biscuits :love:
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

Actually Olive Garden has several healthy options that are under 500calories each including soups, a few appetizers, and entrees. Eat one breadstick, salad without the dressing, and one of those entrees or an appetizer as your entree (the ones under 500 calories) with a glass or two of water and you should feel full and happy.

If you dont remember to look up their nutrition information online before you go out then feel free to ask the host for a nutrition menu.

(I was a server at Olive Garden so if there's anything you need to know feel free to ask.)

Last time I checked the nutritional info about 3 weeks ago there wasn't a single entree under 1000 cals...in fact I don't remember a single one under 700...

One breadstick...possible.
    Soup...good stuff.
    Salad without dressing? Why eat the salad at all then?
    An appetizer is not going to be filling.
    There are no entrees under 500 cals.

wanna bet?
    lets starts with the whole appetizer arguement, an app can be quite filling. Ive watched many guests come in the restaurant, buy one, split it and say they were full. As for salad, it is possible to eat one without dressing, not as appealing for sure, but very possible and filling.

Lastly, try linguine alla marinara, venetian apricot chicken, and capellini pomodoro (lunch portion), and much much more are under 500 calories.
    Heres a link for more since you don't seem to believe me: http://www.olivegardennutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?rid=

And yes, I admit to feeling a slight bit hostile over your disagreement. Our managers drilled the nutrition into our heads and I can and will argue that there are healthier options (under 500calories) that are well portioned, filling, and available to the guests. Maybe you don't enjoy those particular dishes, but that doesn't mean they don't offer them. :)
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Wild Wings. I LOVE the food, however I requested a nutritional sheet and holy cow, I gained three pounds just reading it. It sucks because it's one of my favorite places to eat. The only place I really eat out now is Subway.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I love Panera! And you can get out of there for under 400 calories if you pay attention. Most of the time, it's my go-to "fast food" place.

Also, Outback (while a chain and generic) has an excellent nutritional calculator on their website. And the new wood-fire grill uses less seasonings and butter on whaetever you get. I fully enjoyed my food and plan on adding it to the list of "safe" restaurants.

Places I avoid at all costs: Olive Garden (I have a weakness for bad Italian food), T.G.I. Fridays (crappy service, lack of healthy food options), Five Guys, and lately Cheesecake Factory. Yeah, they have the Skinny menu, but they have NO nutritional information posted.