Restaurants to Avoid!

Options

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster! Man, can I really pack away all of that butter-soaked seafood. Don't even get me started on the caesar salad and tempting deserts. <drools>
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Any restaurant that focus's on bar food and is mainly a bar. They pretty much depend on people drinking a lot and wanting bad stuff, like burgers, wings, fries and so on.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    2 words: Golden Corral. They do have a salad bar, but for me it is too hard to stick to the salad bar when there's potatoes and gravy, fried chicken, mac & cheese all staring me down. Not to mention the dessert bar, which sings like a siren. It's just better to avoid the place all together.

BLARGH! We call that place the "Gaggy Corral". :sick:

I think buffet style restaurants are nasty anyway. :sick: :sick:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I prefer to not eat at restaurants with a sh!tty beer list.

Yes, this too. It just seems odd when a place has a well thought out menu, nice wine list, and then just Bud, Miller Coors, and Heineken for beer choices.

Now, THAT just pisses me off...
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There is a Bennigan's at the Galleria Mall in Dallas, TX. It's right next to an ice skating rink. At least it was in 1998. I had my heart broken in that restaurant. Don't go there.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Any restaurant that focus's on bar food and is mainly a bar. They pretty much depend on people drinking a lot and wanting bad stuff, like burgers, wings, fries and so on.

mmmm, beer, burgers wings *drool*
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Friendly's...I always get the kids meal so it's not as large of a meal, but then it comes with a free ice cream which I of course just HAVE to get ) : haha.

I read an article in a health magazine stating that any time we eat out a kids meal should be the choice because American portions for a adults is double or more what it should be. I always have a kids meal or only eat half of the food now.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Go out to have a meal that tastes delightful. Enjoy it. Budget your calories if you need to (you can average over two days, you know). Split a meal if you need to.

It it doesn't fill you with glee, cook for yourself. Quit being lazy and eating cheap greasy food that makes you feel bad about yourself because you can't be bothered to cook dinner or pack a lunch.

But do not "do without". There is nothing in this world that would keep me from having my favorite Ike's Place sandwich which I conservatively estimate to have 1,100 of the most delectable, drippy, ooey gooey, run down your arm kind of calories. Nothing.

Whether you're into wings or foie gras, you should be able to eat them without guilt. Otherwise life is not worth living without your favorite foods.
  • KOrogue
    Options
    I avoid any restaurant that forces me to get the high calorie items, and forces me to eat the whole thing.

Hahaha, yes! Exactly!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

I'm with you on Olive Garden...

but Panera has several options under 500 cals. Including sandwiches, soups, and salads. Sierra Turkey is the best one for low cal.

My favorite is the Bacon Turkey Bravo but its like 800 :(
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love Chilis!!!!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    There is a Bennigan's at the Galleria Mall in Dallas, TX. It's right next to an ice skating rink. At least it was in 1998. I had my heart broken in that restaurant. Don't go there.

If it makes you feel any better, they closed all the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale's out here. :-)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anywhere due to calories, fat, or sodium.
    If I want it, I eat it. Within reason and not daily.
    It's called life.

What I DO avoid are:
    Places that just feel "dirty".
    Places with crappy service.
    Places that are overpriced for the product and service you receive.
    (I'll pay anything if it's awesome and worth it)
    Places with sh!tty selection (of food AND beer)
    Places that refuse to customize if you ask a special request.

Have to add: if you're looking for a good beer selection, go to Buffalo Wild Wings! Never seen so many taps in one place!
  • xo_morgan
    Options
    texas road house :/ i just cannot pass up the buns!! :embarassed:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The only restaurants I avoid are those where I don't like the food, have had repeated bad service or they are unclean. Otherwise, I just go occasionally and splurge .

I don't consider fast food places "restaurants" but I pretty much avoid all of them except The PIta Pit. Most fast food is not tasty and the dining areas are busy, noisy and filthy.
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    I prefer not to eat at national chains and restaurants I've found "just ok" in the past. I don't kick up a fuss if a group of folks I'm with wants to go somewhere like that, but given the choice, I want to eat out somewhere new or fantastic and make it an occasional treat :)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell
    Burger King
    (the two nastiest fast food places)

hey now.... Taco Bell? my fast food weakness.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

I'm with you on Olive Garden...

but Panera has several options under 500 cals. Including sandwiches, soups, and salads. Sierra Turkey is the best one for low cal.

My favorite is the Bacon Turkey Bravo but its like 800 :(

I just read the other post that said a sierra turkey was high in cals so I went and looked it up...920! WTF?! I swear the Panera I used to work next to had the cals listed at like 450...maybe I was reading it for a half...Lame.

Still...even if you get a half salad or sandwich and a half cup of chicken noodle soup its around 500 cals.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Really? Huh. I ate there once and met a great girl! Said she was just getting out of a relationship.. It was the late 90's...

:tongue: :laugh:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The only place I don't go to anymore is KFC. Other than that, I'll go wherever as long as the food and the customer service are fantastic.