Restaurants to Avoid!

Options

Replies

• lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At Panara, 1/2 the Sierra Turkey and go without mayo. Will save you a ton of calories and it's still a huge portion (310 calories).
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This is sad: Man suffers heart attack while eating at Heart Attack Grill

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-suffers-heart-attack-while-eating-heart-attack-185717972.html?fb_action_ids=337265826318801,2912051838249,2710955856659,336957279682989,10100679568486249&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQCUk3mwZGgioKSamsKh4yecfeMrs7a-eveXO-gW-Hj9O-jh7-U2DYCmKdlBGsOP8GvXMO5yBvW-1Gne3m2fNXVgloS5BpCKGlVeQsqiSkYSyZwWxVNhdmzOwACzsR-eI3IqL7ZbSYwpVm_aVap_72HjNhrPFYJA0hOfhpbTZdaXLtrJ3vR9LldTLTcOEberoCM#_=_

The menu includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", and "Quadruple Bypass" hamburgers,[1] ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories)

The Quadruple Bypass Burger with 8,000 calories (33 MJ) has been identified as one of the "world's worst junk foods".[11] It consists of four half-pound beef patties, eight slices of American cheese, a whole tomato and half an onion served in a bun coated with lard.

Normal meals at the Heart Attack Grill easily exceed 8,000 calories.

That is horrible and that restaurant should be outlawed. It's not funny or cute to sell things so horrible for people. At the same time, people should be smart enough to never have walked in their door.

Yes, lets outlaw any restaurant that has unhealthy food. We can't expect people to make their own choices about what to eat, now can we?
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Heart attack grill should be against the law. It is not funny.

Neither is totalitarianism.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    El Chico. The only restaurant that has ever given me heartburn.
  • smantha32
    Options

I think buffet style restaurants are nasty anyway. :sick: :sick:

^^^ THIS!
  • clintbritt3
    Options
    5 Guys Burgers and Fries....I haven't eaten there in almost a year but I can eat like a thousand pound man if left to my own devices but that place will always hold a special fat place in my heart :brokenheart:

Love their cajun fries, that would be a hard place to stay away from!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster! Man, can I really pack away all of that butter-soaked seafood. Don't even get me started on the caesar salad and tempting deserts. <drools>

the cheddar biscuits :love: I have a red lobster just 3 doors down from where I work and I am thankful to have only a 30 min lunch break.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    In general eating out is problematic due to high sodium and calories in most menu items. That said, I'm looking at many of the restaurants on this list and know for a fact that healthy or at least low cal food choices can be obtained. Put the onus on yourself to review the menu carefully and find the food choices which make sense for a healthy and fit lifestyle. Its not McNasty's fault if you go in there and order Big Mac with all the works, super size fry, apple pie and large Coke. If you must eat out and/or enjoy doing so as I do then order in a fit & healthy fashion. If you can't resist the temptation to binge when you eat out then stay out of restaurants.
  • clintbritt3
    Options
    I avoid a lot of restaurants mainly because my husband has worked years and years in their kitchens repairing equipment, that being said a place to avoid would be any Chinese places! All that sodium and rice will make you feel huge!!!!! But a great place to find healthy options is Wendys..... my go to for sure, I can eat half a apple pecan salad w/dressing (no bleu cheese) and a plain grilled chicken go wrap for only 500+ calories and it's totally filling!
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Friendly's...I always get the kids meal so it's not as large of a meal, but then it comes with a free ice cream which I of course just HAVE to get ) : haha.

I read an article in a health magazine stating that any time we eat out a kids meal should be the choice because American portions for a adults is double or more what it should be. I always have a kids meal or only eat half of the food now.

Maybe's its just where I live, whenever I've asked for a kids meal at a sit down place theysay they don't let adults order kids meals :( Which is ridiculous a paying customer is a paying customer right?
  • smantha32
    Options
    There is a Bennigan's at the Galleria Mall in Dallas, TX. It's right next to an ice skating rink. At least it was in 1998. I had my heart broken in that restaurant. Don't go there.

All the Bennigan's restaurants here went out of business.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster! Man, can I really pack away all of that butter-soaked seafood. Don't even get me started on the caesar salad and tempting deserts. <drools>

Red Lobster offers fish and vegetables choices that are not bad at all in calories (check their website before hand). We just need to stay away from the cheesy bread and deserts. No problem for me not eating the deserts, but man, do I need to control myself to not eat the bread.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...
    IHOP
    Macaroni Grill
    Denny's
    And Apparently...
    Heart Attack Grill in Arizona :noway: :sick:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57379101/apparent-heart-attack-at-heart-attack-grill/
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

wanna bet?
    lets starts with the whole appetizer arguement, an app can be quite filling. Ive watched many guests come in the restaurant, buy one, split it and say they were full. As for salad, it is possible to eat one without dressing, not as appealing for sure, but very possible and filling.

Lastly, try linguine alla marinara, venetian apricot chicken, and capellini pomodoro (lunch portion), and much much more are under 500 calories.
    Heres a link for more since you don't seem to believe me: http://www.olivegardennutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?rid=

Fair enough...

I'm still going to argue that any appetizer portion under 500 cal is not going to be filling for 90% of the population. And yes its possible to eat a salad without dressing...but disgusting.

I have never seen the linguine alla marinara...i may try it if we have it around here. I realized I forgot about the capellini...I've had it and thought it was disgusting so I think I just counted that one out when I looked at the nutrition menu. As for the apricot chicken...I probably counted that out too just because it doesn't sound like my thing.

So yes...there are (very few) healthier options available. Olive Garden is still one of the least healthy places to eat.

And for the record...I'll still eat there...I just don't worry about healthy eating when I go. I love the place.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

You can make bad choices at Panera, sure, but in fairness, a you-pick-two with half a Smoked Turkey Breast sandwich and Chicken Noodle soup, plus an apple as the side, comes to 370 calories. Swap the soup for a Classic Cafe salad with Balsamic Vinigrette if you prefer, it has 130 calories. Even choose Asiago Roast Beef sandwich and and Vegetarian Black Bean soup is only 600 calories, and lots of choices are around 500 calories. It's really not fair to diss Panera because you CAN make bad choices there.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Do all American restaurants list out the calories? that must be so helpful.

Almost all of them do on their websites, yeah.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Hmmm...
    IHOP
    Macaroni Grill
    Denny's
    And Apparently...
    Heart Attack Grill in Arizona :noway: :sick:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57379101/apparent-heart-attack-at-heart-attack-grill/

IHOP and Denny's have some options under 500 cals...they aren't too bad. Macaroni Grill is up there with Olive Garden.

the one thing at Denny's that blows my mind is that on their "healthy" food list they have banana pecan pancakes...which I ate the other day...they are fantastic...they are also 800 cals. Not healthy by any means.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

You can make bad choices at Panera, sure, but in fairness, a you-pick-two with half a Smoked Turkey Breast sandwich and Chicken Noodle soup, plus an apple as the side, comes to 370 calories. Swap the soup for a Classic Cafe salad with Balsamic Vinigrette for the soup if you prefer, it has 130 calories. 370 calories. Even choose Asiago Roast Beef sandwich and and Vegetarian Black Bean soup is only 600 calories, and lots of choices are around 500 calories. It's really not fair to diss Panera because you CAN make bad choices there.

That's what I was thinking of! It's not the sierra turkey I would get when I worked next to panera it was the smoked turkey. Good stuff and low cal.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    texas road house :/ i just cannot pass up the buns!! :embarassed:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: and do not forget the honey butter.
  • smantha32
    Options
    I avoid any restaurant that forces me to get the high calorie items, and forces me to eat the whole thing.

:happy:

Honestly, most of the portions are 2-3 times larger than a "normal" portion. When ordering, simply request they bring a to-go box along with your meal and place the extra into the box instead of consuming it because it's right there on your plate.

Then give the box to someone else to eat :devil:

I can usually eat off a restaurant to go box for two or three days. lol