Restaurants to Avoid!

Options

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    TGI Fridays, was supposed to go there the other week for the first time until I looked at the very limited UK menu & saw that everything was nearing or over 1000 calories :|
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    COULDNT AGREE MORE!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any restaurants because of fatty food or anything, but I do avoid some places like Olive Garden and a few others because I'm gluten intolerant and they either have practically nothing that's gluten free or their chefs aren't all that accommodating.

If I'm going out to eat, 9 times out of 10 I'm going somewhere for Tex-Mex food, and I can ALWAYS find something I can eat there. I use those as my cheat days and just work out extra hard :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    texas road house :/ i just cannot pass up the buns!! :embarassed:

They just opened one of those near us and we went last Saturday. That place rocks.
    And they had a decent selection of beer on tap.
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    I used to hate Panera, but now that I'm trying to watch the portions and counting calories it is great. They have the calorie amounts listed on the menu board, and that is as prepared. Can't beat that.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid all restaurants! You never really know what you're getting. The nutritionals that are posted on their websites are not always accurate due to each person making the dishes differently. :grumble:

If you're really trying to keep track of what you eat, cook/eat at home. That way you can control everything.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    This is sad: Man suffers heart attack while eating at Heart Attack Grill

The menu includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", and "Quadruple Bypass" hamburgers,[1] ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories)

The Quadruple Bypass Burger with 8,000 calories (33 MJ) has been identified as one of the "world's worst junk foods".[11] It consists of four half-pound beef patties, eight slices of American cheese, a whole tomato and half an onion served in a bun coated with lard.

Normal meals at the Heart Attack Grill easily exceed 8,000 calories.

There's a couple of your 5-a-day though, hehe!

Seriously, I am glad I seldom eat out - it means when I do I don't actually worry too much, it may only be one meal every 6 weeks or so...
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    5 Guys Burgers and Fries....I haven't eaten there in almost a year but I can eat like a thousand pound man if left to my own devices but that place will always hold a special fat place in my heart :brokenheart:

THIS! Oh wow, LOVE 5 Guys. There isn't one in the town where I live, and that's probably a good thing.

I don't eat at Arby's anymore. Not interested in eating a salad when there are mounds of roast beef and curly fries available. My mom and I walked in there, checked out the nutrition, and walked out. That was about 3 years ago, and I haven't had Arby's since!
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    Forget about IN AND OUT burger...

Great tasting but Awful for you!
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Panera!! You can get their Pick 2 and it's not a bad place. Plus, I'm stuffed when I leave. I figured out last night that I have ZERO will power at an Asian buffet. So I will make sure that is a once in a while thing. I'm not staying away from things I like, but I'm not going to go once a week! I could only imagine what I would to myself. LOL
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This is sad: Man suffers heart attack while eating at Heart Attack Grill

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-suffers-heart-attack-while-eating-heart-attack-185717972.html?fb_action_ids=337265826318801,2912051838249,2710955856659,336957279682989,10100679568486249&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQCUk3mwZGgioKSamsKh4yecfeMrs7a-eveXO-gW-Hj9O-jh7-U2DYCmKdlBGsOP8GvXMO5yBvW-1Gne3m2fNXVgloS5BpCKGlVeQsqiSkYSyZwWxVNhdmzOwACzsR-eI3IqL7ZbSYwpVm_aVap_72HjNhrPFYJA0hOfhpbTZdaXLtrJ3vR9LldTLTcOEberoCM#_=_

The menu includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", and "Quadruple Bypass" hamburgers,[1] ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories)

The Quadruple Bypass Burger with 8,000 calories (33 MJ) has been identified as one of the "world's worst junk foods".[11] It consists of four half-pound beef patties, eight slices of American cheese, a whole tomato and half an onion served in a bun coated with lard.

Normal meals at the Heart Attack Grill easily exceed 8,000 calories.

Oh my word! This is truly shocking! I'm pretty sure that a restaurant serving something like that wouldn't even be allowed here in the UK. The fact that the restaurant is celebrating how bad for you their food is is also a bit like WTH. Sounds like an awful place! Lol.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Also Red Robin, it has an online menu to specifically help you customize and tailor your sandwich to your nutritional content. It works pretty well and you can get a decent hamburger for a decent amount of calories. Of course that excludes the limitless fries. :embarassed:
    I LOVE this about Red Robin's site. You can add or delete any ingredient in your dish to completely customize your order, and it will give you the calories and nutritional info for only what you consumed, rather than trying to figure it out when you specialize your order. And, as most restaurants will do these days (even the fast food ones), you can get their burgers bunless, which comes with lettuce on the top and bottom of your burger instead of the bun. Cuts WAY back on calories.

Wow I had no idea you could do this. I never get a cheeseburger always a hamburger but since I didn't know the calories saved I would just count the whole calorie count.
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Chilli's is awful. I can barely find anything to work with when we go there. Most stuff is well over 1k calories.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

I LOVE Panera! They have tons of healthy and low cal options. They even list the calories of everything right on the menu board. I would recommend going there to anyone.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Do all American restaurants list out the calories? that must be so helpful.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bone Fish Grill and Carraba's

Unfortunately, two of my favorite places to eat but VERY difficult to get nutritional information because they "prepare their food fresh daily" or some lame excuse (on the web site) REALLY? You serve the same stuff, for the most part, what's so hard about putting out the numbers for all to see? Maybe they don't want us to know, lol!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anywhere due to calories, fat, or sodium.
    If I want it, I eat it. Within reason and not daily.
    It's called life.

What I DO avoid are:
    Places that just feel "dirty".
    Places with crappy service.
    Places that are overpriced for the product and service you receive.
    (I'll pay anything if it's awesome and worth it)
    Places with sh!tty selection (of food AND beer)
    Places that refuse to customize if you ask a special request.

Have to add: if you're looking for a good beer selection, go to Buffalo Wild Wings! Never seen so many taps in one place!

This!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Avoid Olive Garden
    20 years ago it was pretty good, certainly for what you paid, then the meat wasn't great, then everything just went to crap. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but I have no desire to go back.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

Olive Garden has a really great soup called Zuppa Toscana and if you get the lunch special with salad (dressing on the side and no croutons) its totally reasonable and super yummy.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There is a Bennigan's at the Galleria Mall in Dallas, TX. It's right next to an ice skating rink. At least it was in 1998. I had my heart broken in that restaurant. Don't go there.

Really? Huh. I ate there once and met a great girl! Said she was just getting out of a relationship.. It was the late 90's...

:tongue: :laugh:
    Please accept my apologies for that rash and doctor visit.