Grow your own veggies?

Options
124»

Replies

• catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm super excited for gardening season! My girlfriend and I are living with my parents for the summer, and we're psyched to have a yard to garden in! We're going to try to expand the current garden a little this year. We're thinking cucumbers, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, possibly melons, maybe some squash, and hopefully some lettuce in containers. For whatever reason, I have had absolutely zero luck with growing greens in the ground.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i plant a garden each year. usually tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, peppers, and whatever else i have room for. i enjoy growing them even more than the harvest sometimes. generally have fresh tomatoes on my lunch sandwich for months, and i give away bags of them. made some great pickles this past year, also.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We have gardened for years. We live in a townhouse in an apt.complex now, so space is limited. We participate in a community gardening program in our city. For $10 we get 2 decent sized plots that are tilled for us (bonus!).

For those of you in urban areas, you might check into community gardening in your area. Many cities are doing it!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i have been growing just tomaotes for a few years...last year i had my hubby put in some raised beds...trying to grow carrots, peppers, zucchini, split peas, bush beans, cukes, tomatoes, and then some lettuce and scallions on the deck in boxes..the zucchini, peppers and cukes didnt fair well...but i got success with the tomatoes, and split peas (my daughter ate all these before i could even bring them in), carrots, bush beans grew huge string beans to eat. The carrots, lettuce and scallions came late but i planted late...next year i have a different game plan...radishes instead of zucchinis and try my own seedlings instead of buying
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of all of you who can successfully grow things. My house is the place plants go to die.

I did manage to get a few blackberries and raspberries - wonderful! Shame those plants croaked.

I grew broccoli - plants were gorgeous! They tasted like tires. That was a quick lesson that broccoli is not supposed to grow in the late spring in the south. (I blame Lowe's for selling the plants in late April. Boogerheads.)

Anyway, home gardens are full of awesome, if you can keep your plants alive. :blushing:
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I really really wish we have enough room to garden. But I will use up as much space this time to plant veggies. I love growing eggplants.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There's too much shade in our yard for a garden to be really successful, but we give it a try most years. A neighbor offered us a garden spot if we'd share the produce...we'll probably take them up on it.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have been raised on a small farm, and have continued to grow, can & freeze veggies and fruit myself. Growing up, there were many meals where everything on the table, except for the flour in the gravy & pie crust, and salt & pepper, was home grown. The meat (beef, pork, chicken, rabbits), eggs, vegetables (including potatoes, garlic, onions, corn, beans, squashes, cabbages, kohlrabi, beets, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, various greens, carrots, radishes, lettuce, peppers, cukes.... and more!). Milk, butter.... Our orchard had apple, pear, prune and peach trees...My dad often had the earliest corn and first ripe tomatoes in the area, (in spite of a 40 hr/week job in the city).... that earned major bragging rights! I'm still trying to measure up to that ;-)

Any small patio, hanging baskets, or even sunny window sill can hold pots for a single tomato plant or subsequent plantings of fast growing produce like lettuces, radishes, spinach, etc.

Peas go in the ground this next week (NW Oregon), and onion sets as soon as the store gets them in. My husband tilled the garden last weekend, and it'll be ready for more early stuff asap. We currently are only on one acre, but it still can provide lots of food, even though our garden space is about 40' x 30'.

I will always be proud and grateful to be a country girl!