What do you burn with your chest strap HRM?

Options
Hi, everyone, I just got a Polar FT4 for Valentine's Day :heart: and tried it out yesterday for the first time doing Turbo Jam Cardio Party, 40 minute video, and my HRM said I burned 248 cals, I always figured MFP over calculated my burns ( it said I burned 1100 :ohwell: ) but I thought given my weight I would definitely be burning more than that 248 for an exercise like turbo jam. I later decided to exercise again, using 2 mile walk by Leslie Sansone,30 minutes, it said 134. ?? Now I didn't expect much from this one because I don't get real out of breath or even all that sweaty doing the 2 mile walks, but still 134, I have friends who log these same workouts using a HRM and they weigh under 200 and they burn around 300-400 something for 30 and 45 minute Leslie workouts. i did a taebo workout this morning for 43 minutes and it said 212 cals burned. I have the user info entered correctly, I wet the straps, it's nice and snug on me, so I don't get it? I mean if that's what I really burn then that's fine, but it just seems like from seeing others logs with HRMs that mine are real low numbers?

So I just want to know your opinions about this, and also wanna hear from others who use a HRM with a chest strap what exercises you do, for how long and what do you burn with them, and if you don't mind throwing your weight in there that would be awesome! I don't really wanna put my weight on here for everybody to see, but I will tell you I'm in the lower 300's for the purpose of getting your thoughts on this. I know everyone works out differently, and weight and gender and all that play a role in how much we burn, but could I have gotten a defective one, or could be there another reason why my numbers are so low when my weight is so high?

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 I got for christmas and was suprised how much under it said I burned on the treadmill vs what the treadmill said. It was on average 90 calories lower on the HRM. And the HRM synced to the treadmill too! Probalby explains why i wasnt losing weight, was over logging excercise calories.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The HRM should give you an average heart rate - the calorie burn depends a lot on that. With my Polar FT7, I would burn about 270 calories for Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 (about 30 minutes with an average heart rate in the low 140's or high 130's). On the elliptical, I burn about 440 calories in 45 minutes with an average heart rate of 150. I'm 5'6", 154 lbs and 37 years old.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear what others say. My HRM sometimes gives me numbers that I think are really low too.
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this! I am getting mine in the mail tomorrow and would love to know the answers.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the chest straps arent wet enough and loose the connection? I dont know if that is the issue but yes the machines and MFP are usual over the actual number burned.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I didn't expect much from this one because I don't get real out of breath or even all that sweaty doing the 2 mile walks, but still 134, I have friends who log these same workouts using a HRM and they weigh under 200 and they burn around 300-400 something for 30 and 45 minute Leslie workouts.
    If you're not getting out of breath, you're probably not burning a lot of calories.

Do check the settings are correct on your HRM, but I'm sorry to say that really the most likely scenario is that you're burning far fewer calories than you've always thought.
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    See and I've been wondering the same thing because mine says I burn way more than I thought I did. I jogged for 20 minutes and it said I burned 350 calories... I usually take whatever the machines at the gym tell me and cut it in half, but my HRM says they were right on all along. I'm 193 and 5'8" I have always had a really high heart rate though, even resting, so IDK how accurate it really is or if I am just a freak of nature haha. As my doctor always tells me, my body does things that aren't supposed to be physically possible, but usually when I'm jogging even if I'm not super winded my HR is around 195...
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I was super disappointed too. My HRM says a lot less than my treadmill or elliptical machine says.

I haven't done those videos, so I don't know .
  • thom10034
    Options
    I'm 26 and aroudn 140lbs and I burn about 100-150 cals per mile that I run (6-7mph miles/around 9 minute miles). A lot of it depends on how much you push yourself and how in/out of shape you are. The more in shape I am or the more my heart can handle, the lower the burn because my body doesn't have to work as hard. While using the calories burned from MFP is a good start, generally the calories burned from a HRM with a chest strap is more accurate to you specifically. I hope that helps give you a better idea.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Everyone burns differently...My daughter-in-law that goes with me and only weighs I think about 25 lbs less than me will burn almost triple what I burn doing pretty much the same exercises and with me actually going at it harder. My daughter that weighs almost the same burns about 75 to 100 more than me. I only burn about the same as you doing the Leslie Sansone walks. I am assuming it is just slower metabolism. My resting heart rate is very low...about 57 and my DIL is in the 90's so maybe that counts too. But yes, you gotta trust your HRM:~(
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Basic question: did you set your weight right on the HRM?
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    i trust my HRM more becaue it takes into account my weight, age and constant heart rate. The machine only takes weight into account and runs an average because it doesnt know how hard my heart is working. even though i put my hands on the heart pads on the treadmill.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, welcome to the more accurate (and often disappointing) world of chest strap HRMs :)

These are correct. Machines and MFP inflate caloric burn because they're simply not as accurate.

Is it disappointing? Yes.
    Is it more truthful? Yes.
    Would you rather know what you're *really* burning (and can then eat or not eat, accordingly)? YES.

This is a good thing, even if it sort of sucks (okay, it sucks a lot).
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it always come under what programs say about how many calories I should burn, but I think it has to do with your HR, THR, and how long you are in zone. For example, doing Biggest Loser Cardio Max levels 2 & 3 straight thru, I burn 198 calories. I am 137.2 lbs, 5' 3" and 23 years old.
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I wear an HRM daily when exercising. I can tell you this. I'm 242 lbs and I burn anywhere from 400 to 580 for 60 minutes of circuit training. Bare with me on this question, but are you wearing it in the right spot?
  • a_acosta80
    Options
    Ah yes, welcome to the more accurate (and often disappointing) world of chest strap HRMs :)

These are correct. Machines and MFP inflate caloric burn because they're simply not as accurate.

Is it disappointing? Yes.
    Is it more truthful? Yes.
    Would you rather know what you're *really* burning (and can then eat or not eat, accordingly)? YES.

This is a good thing, even if it sort of sucks (okay, it sucks a lot).

Yes so very true.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM and I would say the calories burned sound about right to me.

Currently I am 148.4 lbs and I generally burn about 170 calories doing 38 minutes of P90 strength and 280 calories doing 45 minutes of cardio. My heart rate is usually in the zone too.

What is your heart rate zone to be while exercising according to your monitor? Mine is between 119 and 175.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My HRM shows a consistent 10% lower than the elliptical readout. Not a cheap elliptical machine either. I would believe the HRM.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What is your heart rate sitting at when you do these exercises? That's going to determine how hard you really are working.

Having said that, I'm male, 6'3" and 245lbs (176lb LBM) and I burn typically 600 in 30 mins on the elliptical (going very hard, heart rate averages 165-170 for the full 30 mins). Typically 300 for a 30 minute walk (2 miles), heart rate only like 125-135.

Obviously for a female it's going to be a lot lower but that doesn't sound right at all. Did you input your height/weight/gender and such into the FT4? Assuming you did, and assuming you're getting your heart rate up, you should be quite a bit higher.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    Make sure the strap is tight enough. If it isn't there will be periods during activity that it isn't reading.