What do you burn with your chest strap HRM?

Options

Replies

• Okieace
    Options
    I got a HRM for valentines day too (how romantic!). My problem was the opposite, I was burning far more calories then I was guesstimating.
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    Hi
    I wear an HRM daily when exercising. I can tell you this. I'm 242 lbs and I burn anywhere from 400 to 580 for 60 minutes of circuit training. Bare with me on this question, but are you wearing it in the right spot?

Right under my breasts where the bottom of my bra is
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I had very different results for 30DS, logged under "circuit training, general."

Me: 44 years old, 5'11", 153#.
    MFP estimate: 200-ish calories, NB4 HRM: 150-ish.

My daughter: 22 yrs, 5'5" (I think), 298#
    MFP estimate: 360 or so, NB4 HRM: 550+.

I can tell you that MFP doesn't know whether you poured it on or "phoned it in". On days I feel good and energized, I smoke some serious calories. If I'm there, but not really into it, the HRM knows. Trust your HRM.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    For walking or running, it's about 100 calories/miles on average (quoting Runner's World Magazine). I'm in pretty good shape and I am right dead on 100 for a mile. You figure, even if you are walking you are doing the same amount of work - just over a longer period of time. So if you are not in as good of shape or carrying some extra weight, you might burn more than 100 calories/mile or visa versa.

As for the HRM, I have a Polar RS300 and my strap drops in and out of picking up my heart rate - it is so frustrating. And it drops the heart rate signal, it stops calculating. I heard there are gels and stuff you can use, but I haven't tried any of these. I've noted for me, the estimates on machines and MFP are always twice as high as my actual caloric burn.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I burn around 120 for a 30 min walk and I burn 220 doing 35 min ripped in 30 workout on my ft4 which I reckon is pretty accurate
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    I have the same HRM and I would say the calories burned sound about right to me.

Currently I am 148.4 lbs and I generally burn about 170 calories doing 38 minutes of P90 strength and 280 calories doing 45 minutes of cardio. My heart rate is usually in the zone too.

What is your heart rate zone to be while exercising according to your monitor? Mine is between 119 and 175.

for tall 3 of the exercises I was in the zone the whole time, turbo jam I was pretty much right at the top of my THR zone for most of it and over it, with an average HR of 155
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Just another thought. Is the strap tight enough? I know if it's to loose it won't keep track properly.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    BTW does anyone know how to transfer workouts to computer for an ft7? I can't figure it out.. is there another part I need? lol probably sounds stupid!

Yes, it's a little docking station with a USB and some software. Not sure if the FT7 is capable, but the RS300 is and I have it.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use one and I'm abot 180 and I do insanity and for 30 minutes of it I usually burn 350.....and thats hardcore workout for me.....but oyu should be burning more than you are becasue your heavier too and you will burn calories at a faster rate than someone smaller so I htink your HRM isn't measuring properly
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I find mine is actually pretty close to what the treadmill says. The chest strap should be snug and put a little water on the flat part that makes contact to your chest.
  • mzjandiace
    Options
    I just purchased Polar Ft40F Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, welcome to the more accurate (and often disappointing) world of chest strap HRMs :)

These are correct. Machines and MFP inflate caloric burn because they're simply not as accurate.

Is it disappointing? Yes.
    Is it more truthful? Yes.
    Would you rather know what you're *really* burning (and can then eat or not eat, accordingly)? YES.

This is a good thing, even if it sort of sucks (okay, it sucks a lot).

^This !!

Check your settings ....... but I'm guessing it's ^This !

If your friends burn more, that they are NOT as fit as you are.
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    What is your heart rate sitting at when you do these exercises? That's going to determine how hard you really are working.

Having said that, I'm male, 6'3" and 245lbs (176lb LBM) and I burn typically 600 in 30 mins on the elliptical (going very hard, heart rate averages 165-170 for the full 30 mins). Typically 300 for a 30 minute walk (2 miles), heart rate only like 125-135.

Obviously for a female it's going to be a lot lower but that doesn't sound right at all. Did you input your height/weight/gender and such into the FT4? Assuming you did, and assuming you're getting your heart rate up, you should be quite a bit higher.

This is what I don't get. I work very hard at Turbo Jam, and before doing some reading on THR zones and needing to stay in them or above for maximum calorie burn, I thought I needed to stay within my THRZ, which the top of it 165, during turbo jam I noticed I was staying right around 170, so I was even over the zone, so I lowered my intensity, and even with lowering my intensity, my HR was still mostly at 155-165 for the whole workout. All my info is correct, I wet the straps good, like I said if this is accurate then it's fine I'll deal with it, but I was always under the assumption the bigger you are the more you burn.
  • pwillini84
    Options
    When I started using my HRM (a Sigma PC-15, last yr's model), my time on the eliptical glider typically resulted in a 15% reduction in the calorie burn shown on the machine. Now that my HRM synchs with the machine, the results are the same.

This is why runner's use HRMs, they are EKG accurate if you buy the right one - cheaper is definitely not better. I don't know if your particular model does this but mine let's me know when I go from Health zone, to Fitness zone to Power zone so I can work harder to get me into that Power zone and the biggest burn.

The HRM is indeed the weight loss friend, keep it close to your heart and it'll keep track of how healthy your heart is getting!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I checked my burn on the last time I did the Leslie Sansone 2 mile DVD and it was 174, so not far off from mine. I have the Polar FT4.
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60. When I do Turbo Jam Cardio Party 1, my heart rate usually stays between 150 and 165 and I burn 400 - 450 calories. I'm 5'6" and about 145 pounds.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I got an ft7 for myself on Valentines Day (haha well I'm trying to love myself so it works, right?)...I've always thought MFP overcalculated, so so far I'm thinking they cals are much closer...On lvl 1 of 30 day shred I burned about 300calories,etc...the thing you have to remember about MFP is that it doesnt take into account your energy level doing things...so if youre exerting a low effort level (like youre totally not out of breath, sweating, you could sing a song, etc) and if youre busting *kitten*, completely breathless, couldnt even talk, it'll give yout he same amount just based on your weight...I'm thinking my HRM is much more accurate
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was also very unpleasantly surprised when I saw my HRM's calorie burn number for the first time. I used to think I was buring 750 calories in an hour of Zumba. According to the HRM, I only burn somewhere around 350 :( I trust the HRM number more. It is more consistent with how much weight I lose than MFP estimates, or estimates from any of the machines I use.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I have the older F4, and I've been doing Turbo Jam for 4 yrs and still burn 400+ depending on which one I'm doing. I have tons more energy now, so I don't do the low impact anymore. I remember when I first got mine I didn't have the strap tight enough and it wasn't making contact 100% of the time. I wear it right under the band of my bra so the band is keeping it in place and in contact.
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    Make sure your HRM is set to the correct weight and age. make sure the sensors are wet (to keep the connection going). Are you out of breathe when you do these exercises?

I was suprised at the difference between my HRM and what the machine says...but I remember reading somewhere that you are safe to estimate your burn at about 60% of what the machine says...on the elliptical that holds true for what my HRM tells me....but like another poster here, when I run (and my heart is pumping) I am burning, burning, burning baby!!!

Like I said for the walk dvd no, for the 2 miles I don't breathe all that heavily nor sweat that much, I just wanted to do it to see what my HRM said, as opposed to doing turbo jam. when I do turbo jam I am breathing heavily, and sweating to the max!