What do you burn with your chest strap HRM?

Options

Replies

• kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this HRM game as well. I just bought a Suunto M4 and have been using it this week. The numbers on my HRM have been a little lower than MFP/cardio machine, but only by 20-30 calories. I also notice that my heart rate isn't always captured. I have a large chest and sometimes in a move my bra would tilt the chest transmitter up or push it down a little and i'd look at my wrist and see that it had no heart rate. I'd readjust the strap and it would start up again. So if you're experiencing the same thing but not noticing you might be missing out on some calories. Now I don't know about the walk tape since that doesn't involve big movements. I say try another one and see if it's different. I bought a New Balance one last week and I thought it was way too low and I took it back and got this M4.
  • jamr753
    Options
    I was suprised how little calories I was burning also but I also realized that my heart rate wasn't very high compared to what I thought it would be. Just because I was out of breathe or tired, didn't mean that my heart rate was up. I trust these calories burned more than anything else. You should log it for a while and see because it should tell you what your average heart rate is during your workout. If my average is around 128 for a 40 min workout I'm only burning 200-300 calories vs a average heart rate of 140 for the same amount of time is burning closer to 400. This is probably the reason I wasn't losing weight before because I thought I was burning more calories and eating my exercise calories but in the end, I was eating too much. Good luck!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Make sure your HRM is set to the correct weight and age. make sure the sensors are wet (to keep the connection going). Are you out of breathe when you do these exercises?

I was suprised at the difference between my HRM and what the machine says...but I remember reading somewhere that you are safe to estimate your burn at about 60% of what the machine says...on the elliptical that holds true for what my HRM tells me....but like another poster here, when I run (and my heart is pumping) I am burning, burning, burning baby!!!
  • flbutler
    Options
    bump...will read later
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My typically cardio workout is on the treadmill, for 35 minutes (4.2 mph) I can get at 350 calories. I'm 5'6" and 180 lbs. Be sure to check your settings.
  • milersad1323
    milersad1323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I got my HRM in December I had the same dose of reality you are facing now. I thought 60 minutes of Zumba was definitely burning 900-1000 calories. No such luck. According to my HRM I burn between 500-650 depending how hard I push myself. Walking, especially when you aren't increasing your heart rate much, doesn't burn many at all. I burn about 250 for a 45 minute walk with the dog. My starting weight was about where you are now. My guess is that your HRM is correct and MFP was just over reporting. On the bright side, knowing my actual calories burned has made me step up on how hard I excercise! good luck!
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    Lately I've been burning about 400 calories per hour of exercise (fitness class, walking or Just Dance 3).
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I cringe when someone posts they burned some crazy number of calories walking for 25 minutes -- I know they are using the MFP settings or guessing. The HRM was a wakeup call for me and is alwyas much lower than MFP or any other "calories guesstimating" site. I trust the HRM. I have a Polar FT7 but am getting an FT60 next week so its even more accurate since you can program your V02 max.
  • DarkAngel525
    Options
    I always wet my sensors on my chest strap a little before working out (someone said it worked better that way). Here are my stats with the Sportsline Duo HRM

5'9
    28 years old
    250 lbs

I can typically burn anywhere from 550-800 calories in a 50 minute session on the elliptical or walk/jogging. I don't feel I burn well on the treadmill so I can't say for sure what my burns would be like in that respect. My HRM and the machine I work on/MFP are usually pretty close. Hope you get it cleared up...don't get discouraged!
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just got one too on Valentines day. I burned 180 cals 20 mins on crosstrainer, and the burned about 170 doing weights for 20 mins, but my heart rate stayed up pretty high. I did Jillians michaels 50 min Banish Fat dvd and was 480, right on track of MFP circuit allocation. Same on JM's killer buns, 35 mins about 280. I have found though my walks with my dog have burned more cals than i think burned 200 cals doing 30 mins, 180 cals doing 20 mins heart rate was at about 142, but not sure as a few times my monitor said my Heart rate was 200, which i really doubt it.

I am currious on what you put in your target zone. i think it might have been pre set but i fiddle with mine and now not sure what my min and max heart rate should be. Any ideas?? Mine is a polar FT4 too.
  • nikki2609
    Options
    i have the same HRM and i love it. I'm 5'3 and 121lbs, my usual gym day is around 50-60 mins, burn 350-400 on average (sometimes more if i give it some) and usually have my heart rate at 175-185 whilst doing cardio then weights at 140ish . MFP tells me i've burned loads more as do the gym machines.
    whatever i burn i only eat half back incase it isn't accurate.

3373860.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I thought so to when I got mine. But you need to figure out your target heart rate. Mine is in the 170's. I rarely see that with my HRM. You need to work harder to get the best calorie burn. I looked back at my classes I use to do and they are slightly higher than with HRM. Just find your target heart rate I bet you will see that it is closer to MFP.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11"- and just under 200 pounds. With my HRM, I find that I burn 7-10 cals/min. When 10 cal/minute- it's very high intensity, no rest.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    BTW does anyone know how to transfer workouts to computer for an ft7? I can't figure it out.. is there another part I need? lol probably sounds stupid!
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's based on your heart rate. The higher your HR the higer the calories burned. I know with the Polor FT7 it has a "Fat " zone and a
    "Fitness" zone that is calculated on HR. If you are in the "fat burn" zone, your HR is in the lower range, therefore burning less calories. After strapping on your chest strap and activating the watch, verify the HR displayed by checking your HR manually on your carotid artery or radial artery, using a watch with a second hand. Count your HR for a full 60sec. and see if it matches with the HRM.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have the same HR and don't have this problem. My guess, with the amount of weight your ticker says you have to lose, that these numbers are far too low. Like others have said, make sure it's set up right with your correct age/sex/weight, that it is tight enough and placed right under the girls (on your bra line) and that the sensors are wet.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I wear an HRM daily when exercising. I can tell you this. I'm 242 lbs and I burn anywhere from 400 to 580 for 60 minutes of circuit training. Bare with me on this question, but are you wearing it in the right spot?
    Im 250, and yup this is about what i burn in 60 min.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I also have the same HRM and I average 11 cals per minute when pushing myself hard, my heart rate is usually 160-170 at these times. I am 36. 200 lbs. Like others said I would re-check your settings and if you're not wetting the sensors on the strap then do so. Everyone is different and has a different idea of intensity as well so maybe the numbers are correct for you. Good luck!
  • jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the same HR and don't have this problem. My guess, with the amount of weight your ticker says you have to lose, that these numbers are far too low. Like others have said, make sure it's set up right with your correct age/sex/weight, that it is tight enough and placed right under the girls (on your bra line) and that the sensors are wet.

I was just about to say something like "under the girls"! If the monitor is too low or too high, it won't read right. And make sure you wet the sensors every time. The directions for the FT7 even tell you to do that. I hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck!
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    Basic question: did you set your weight right on the HRM?

Yup, checked it 3 times