Does anyone else dislike the "ripped" look?

Options
I just wondered if I am in the minority, or if others are not thrilled with the "ripped look" that is being promoted so much in fitness circles, on magazines and TV shows these days?

It was bad enough when men had that standard to live up to, but now I am seeing more and more fitness magazines featuring cover poses of women in bikinis that look as "ripped" as some of the men. I am not jealous, and I would not want to have that ripped, not an ounce of fat anywhere look if I could snap my fingers and make it happen.

I am within the normal weight range for my height, and would not mind losing a few pounds of tummy fat and maybe having a bit more muscle definition, but I have no desire to look like those Amazon women, who are most likely taking steroids to get that hard, 6-pack abs look.

Personally, I think a softer, less "ripped" look look is more attractive on both men and women.

Opinions?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it's my place to tell people what beauty is. I know what I want for my body, I know what I'm attracted to in others, but I don't have anything but admiration for people who achieve what they perceive as beautiful.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it's my place to tell people what beauty is. I know what I want for my body, I know what I'm attracted to in others, but I don't have anything but admiration for people who achieve what they perceive as beautiful.

Yes, but you can have an opinion on what you think looks good or what you would want for yourself.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It looks good on some females, bad on others. I think it all depends on the woman's body type.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My preference for both men & women is anywhere on a spectrum from a bit doughy to "fit/strong". Not a huge fan of the super-cut look personally, but I respect it a lot. I have friends who are and are working toward it, and I applaud them for their efforts...so long as they are doing it in healthy ways, of course!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you dont have to take steroids to have nice abs as a woman lol just low body fat %
    and i like the ripped look. i dont want the low body % that they have when doing photo shoots, but i love the bodies they have when in their "off time".
    or maybe we're thinking of completely different body types. jaime eason, mandy blank, etc. i love their bodies!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Everyone has different desires. I want to be that ripped chick. If someone else doesn't it is not my place to tell them they aren't beautiful.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I think its amazing and admirable to put so much hard work work, discipline, dedication, and strength into getting such a fabulous physique. Oh, and I want to be that "ripped" chick.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    And by the way my abs are starting to come in and I can achieve a 6 pack by summer. And no, Im not an amazon woman taking steroids.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    is this a serious post? seriously?

LOL
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a serious post.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Rachel every single post i read from you feels awfully negative. You doing ok? Have you made any new friends recently? Why don't you have a picture? Do you even lift?
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I see what your saying. I guess it's better then girls aiming to be size negative two and 80 pounds. Personally I don't find really muscley girls or guys attractive :)
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Rachel every single post i read from you feels awfully negative. You doing ok? Have you made any new friends recently? Why don't you have a picture? Do you even lift?

If you are genuinely concerned wouldn't it be better to MSG her rather then condescend her on a public forum?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I like the look of women when they have muscle tone like this:

fbe24.jpg?w=590

I'm not so into this look:

laurenpowersp1big.jpg

for myself.

However, if those ladies achieve that naturally, I'm all for them looking the way they want. It takes an impressive amount of work to get that ripped, especially for women.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    you dont have to take steroids to have nice abs as a woman lol just low body fat %
    and i like the ripped look. i dont want the low body % that they have when doing photo shoots, but i love the bodies they have when in their "off time".
    or maybe we're thinking of completely different body types. jaime eason, mandy blank, etc. i love their bodies!

This!

There's a big difference between the way 'ripped' girls look when photoshoot/competition ready and the way they look on a day to day basis. Both look pretty attractive to me though,
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I don't like the "ripped" look on females or males. I like some muscle definition on arms and legs and back for both sexes. I think people should do what they want (healthy way of course). I personally want just definition somewhere other than my legs only! :smile: i do admire the hard work dedicated to those "ripped" bodies!
  • brittanyla077
    brittanyla077 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Acutally I hate men with 6 packs...I have a chubby hubby and LOVE LOVE LOVE it...I'm trying to get him to gain a few lbs....as for women I don't think the ripped look is attractive I like curves ( yes I am bi too....and all my gfs were curvy) as for myself I want to be thin but don't care too much abt being very muscular...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There's a limit, like the chick who does the bodyrock videos. She's scary looking. It's not just that she's so muscular, but I think she's also too thin as you can see her bones too. She could stand to gain 20lbs
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I never thought in my wildest dreams I could ever get abs, but they are appearing in just 3 months of better lifestyle, so I'm just saying - I am no amazon woman and I take no pills!

I like how I look at the mo, and will continue to get lean because I like the look for ME.
  • brittanyla077
    brittanyla077 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BTW I don't think she was meaning to offend anyone in this post. But just wanting to make conversation and know opinions