Does anyone else dislike the "ripped" look?

Options

Replies

• Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love a naturally ripped man, and I admire bodybuilders because of their dedication.NOTHING sexier than a nice 6-pack!:love: I grew up in that world and I know what hell they go through to get up on that stage. (men and women)

I personally want to be a bit more ripped but I am also trying to keep my curves, it's a fine balance, but I think I am doing well. I love being strong and healthy and doing things people half my age, can not do.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Too each their own vision of beauty.

As I guy, I see beauty in all variety of female bodies. From the ripped to the curvy.

As for my own body image. I was obese, and I hated it! I hated how I looked and I hated that how I looked made me feel so unimportant.

Over the past year I have gone from being obese to less than 20 lbs from my doctor recommended ideal weight. As I have improved my eating and gone to my workouts, my vision for what is possible, has changed dramatically. I do not want how I look to define who I am as a person but I want to see what I am capable of doing in the job of redefining my body. So, right now I feel that I can achieve a "ripped" body. And, if I am correct, I will be proud of the achievement and do what I can to maintain it once there.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My preference for both men & women is anywhere on a spectrum from a bit doughy to "fit/strong". Not a huge fan of the super-cut look personally, but I respect it a lot. I have friends who are and are working toward it, and I applaud them for their efforts...so long as they are doing it in healthy ways, of course!

^this is my feeling too. I am personally attracted most to fit and strong bodies and thats what i am aiming for in myself, though i can also appreciate curves and "doughy" a bit too. I appreciate those who work so hard for a total cut look, but the body builder physique is not my goal and i dont find it attractive.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    **** why wouldn't you want to be ripped. My goal is too look like wolf guy from True blood.

joe-manganiello-true-blood-regular.jpg
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not like too many muscles on men or women. Sorry, I just don't find the Bodybuilder type of attractive. I can admire the dedication that it takes to transform their bodies...but it isn't good looking...

I like the toned, lean, sleek look for women, and then a few muscles for the men...but I cant stand when a man gets so big that even his neck muscles look huge... That is a HUGE turn off to me.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everyone sees term ripped different.
    I'd love to "ripped" i dont want look "buff" like women.bodybuilder.
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    It depends on what you define as ripped ,although I think I'd look a little bit too vascular under 12 % body fat.
  • ezramedic
    Options
    A friend of mine is a fitness model and she owns a crossfit gym. She is incredibly ripped. And she does NOT take steroids. :-/ Rather large generalization there. She works incredibly hard for her body and lives a Paleo lifestyle.

I don't want that for my own life, but it's a bit rough to assume she would have to take steroids to look like she does. Very unfair.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    veins popping out everywhere really does physically make me queasy.

the thought of touching one makes me feel faint.

Whatever suits THAT person i think...

personally, i am not so keen on women being visibly ripped when NOT tensing or in a work out pose.

im aiming to be muscular so that you can see it when i engage the muscles, but not when im stood at ease.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think a softer, less "ripped" look look is more attractive on both men and women.

I agree.

Although I won't knock anyone who HAS that body (bc I know they've got to work out HARD to get it)...I would never want it for myself.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it depends on the body type but in most cases outside of stomach its not desired for a woman.

I think the "TONED" look is the best on women
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I admire those who achieve the ripped look because of the amount of dedication and self-discipline one has to have in order to achieve that status.

Dedication and self-discipline driven by vanity...
    When I was single I remember the muscular gym rat guys as being sort of self-absorbed, to put it mildly. I'd take an intelligent and kind man over one who was merely "ripped" any day!

Thanks for linking muscular gym rats with lack of intelligence and who are self absorbed, generalizing anyone? :huh:

I personally appreciate people looking how they want to look and not judging their worth based on what I find attractive.

Lots of love, dumb gym rat.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It's pretty difficult for a woman to get "buff" and most truly buff women look sort of odd to me, but having visible muscle tone is nice. I like being strong and healthy and every time a new muscle pops up, I am like "WOOHOO!!!"
    Of course, I still have plenty of softness left, and I'd like to keep it that way, but visible muscle tone looks good on almost everyone - male or female.
    That being said, a little softness can be attractive, too.

Mostly, I just thing HEALTHY (in whatever shape/size that comes in) looks good.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    **** why wouldn't you want to be ripped. My goal is too look like wolf guy from True blood.

and I want to be WITH Alcide from True Blood.... yum!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm more into the toned look.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I loved a good toned look, and I like seeing muscle, even a lot of it (like some of he pics people were posting; RJ from Swamp People for example, or the wolf guy from True Blood) but what I think is totally unnecessary is looking like some oiled-up body builder like on the mag covers and you can see muscles you didn't even know existed. like, Schwarzenegger when he lifted. ESPECIALLY on women. it's just gross.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It's pretty difficult for a woman to get "buff" and most truly buff women look sort of odd to me, but having visible muscle tone is nice. I like being strong and healthy and every time a new muscle pops up, I am like "WOOHOO!!!"
    Of course, I still have plenty of softness left, and I'd like to keep it that way, but visible muscle tone looks good on almost everyone - male or female.
    That being said, a little softness can be attractive, too.

Mostly, I just think HEALTHY (in whatever shape/size that comes in) looks good.
    THIS. Couldn't have put it better. :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't want bulk, but I want a toned body and strong muscles--a flat tummy, for myself, is important. My husband is pretty firm, but I like a little softness when we cuddle. Right now, he's a bit lean, but he tends to gain weight in his tummy, and that's not healthy. I like to see the ice cream cone shape on a man's torso, but it's a big turn-off when muscular men wear tiny shirts to show off. I suppose they're afraid no one will notice?
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between being ripped and being cut, like a competitive bodybuilder. In my opinion, strong is sexy. I like the ripped look for men and for women, and I really have admiration for the dedication it takes to become a competitive bodybuilder. I would far prefer to be strong and firm with muscle definition than to be skinny-fat.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Lovely! Thanks for posting that! :tongue:

I happen to love the ripped look, my other half does body building. He is not a dumb gym rat, he is a teacher and owns his own business. :love:

I find people that take pride in, and work on their their appearance attractive, they don't have to be ripped for me to find them attractive, but since dating my boyfriend I find I am leaning to the more ripped look. I have massive respect for what it takes for people to achieve it, having seen what my other half has to do I appreciate even more the commitment it takes.

I think really it's about what you want for your body and what your prepared to do to get it.